Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My son and I recently installed the Alpine KTP amp in our F150 FX4, and the amp was the only thing on backorder from Crutchfield (however, it only took about 3 days for them to get it in stock and ship it- they seem to get shipments of this amp in pretty regularly).

From what I can tell, the Alpine KTP is designed to receive high level inputs. Overall, I would say the Alpine KTP-455 amp is the best amp on the market for my particular needs (which is why I now have three of them installed in vehicles). Compact, enough power for my purposes, and installation is really straightforward (love not having to install resistors in the channel feeds like you apparently have to do with most amps). It's only 50 amps per channel or so, but considering you have to keep the gain turned pretty much all the way down to keep the volume at listenable levels it seems to pack plenty enough punch to run 4 to 8 speakers.
Sponsored

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
My son and I recently installed the Alpine KTP amp in our F150 FX4, and the amp was the only thing on backorder from Crutchfield (however, it only took about 3 days for them to get it in stock and ship it- they seem to get shipments of this amp in pretty regularly).

From what I can tell, the Alpine KTP is designed to receive high level inputs. Overall, I would say the Alpine KTP-455 amp is the best amp on the market for my particular needs (which is why I now have three of them installed in vehicles). Compact, enough power for my purposes, and installation is really straightforward (love not having to install resistors in the channel feeds like you apparently have to do with most amps). It's only 50 amps per channel or so, but considering you have to keep the gain turned pretty much all the way down to keep the volume at listenable levels it seems to pack plenty enough punch to run 4 to 8 speakers.
Success on my install!! Harness worked out great and the sound is amazing! Thanks for the help!

Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 2599C04E-47E7-4663-AD74-AF19D8789500

Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system A64F9D5C-F22A-4E8D-BB5E-3396FE0D14BD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
iuseJT said:
Success on my install!! Harness worked out great and the sound is amazing! Thanks for the help!
Awesome! I'm guessing you've noticed the boost from the amp? So did the harness you purchased plug directly into the Alpine, or did you have to make connections on all the wires? Either way- glad you found a T harness and enjoy the tunes!

ggilla614

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system A64F9D5C-F22A-4E8D-BB5E-3396FE0D14BD

Couple questions:
Did you install any wires from the battery to the amp?
Did you need to install any resistors?
Beyond the wiring harness and the amp were there any other parts needed?

I just placed an order from crutchfield, I am very excited!

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Awesome! I'm guessing you've noticed the boost from the amp? So did the harness you purchased plug directly into the Alpine, or did you have to make connections on all the wires? Either way- glad you found a T harness and enjoy the tunes!
Thanks. Yeah the boost to my stock speakers from the amp is really strong. Most likely will upgrade them in the future but now I have set the gains on the amp at a really low level and my stock speakers are providing me with great sound feedback. I was looking for an oem type of sound and this is great for me! It was not plug and play. I had to splice a total of 16 wires on T Harness and Amp Wiring. 8 for input and 8 for output and a total of 2 Wire Taps for + and -. But besides it was pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

Sponsored

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Couple questions:
Did you install any wires from the battery to the amp?
Did you need to install any resistors?
Beyond the wiring harness and the amp were there any other parts needed?

I just placed an order from crutchfield, I am very excited!
1. No

2. No

3. Thats it. Besides regular items like wire taps, connectors and electrical tape/fiber cloth tape.

ggilla614

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks. Yeah the boost to my stock speakers from the amp is really strong. Most likely will upgrade them in the future but now I have set the gains on the amp at a really low level and my stock speakers are providing me with great sound feedback. I was looking for an oem type of sound and this is great for me! It was not plug and play. I had to splice a total of 16 wires on T Harness and Amp Wiring. 8 for input and 8 for output and a total of 2 Wire Taps for + and -. But besides it was pretty straight forward.
where did you cut and connect the wires to? What positive and negative wires did you connect? Any pictures would be incredibly helpful!

H60Hawker#33

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I have a Maestro HRN-DSP-CH3 harness if someone is interested. Originally was going to go the DSR1 module and bought the harness first due to the DSR1 not being in stock. Then decided to go PacPro module.

If someone wants to do the splicing, as indicated on the last bunch of threads, let me know.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
This was and still is a great forum, so I just want to run this and get your opinion.
I was at my dealer, with my Jeep and while waiting for the service to get done, I jump into two other Jeeps, to hear their stereo.
The First Jeep, had a stock 7 inch stereo, to get a realignment of my ears, Second was a 8.4 inch Alpine system.
Now let me get to my system, first I did the amp with harness, Kicker 25AB(front,roll bar) also a Kicker 46HS10 10 inch sub.
I keep on hearing a little distortion in the highs, when my daughter heard it also, I know it wasn't, old ears.
So I thought it was the 25AB, sent them back to Kicker, put them in, same thing.
Next step Alpine SPR-10TW, then JBL Stadium GTO750T and then Kicker 47KSC3504 finally Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C ( if you are wondering who would put up with me, beside my wife, it is Crutchfield, can't say enough about them).
Now getting back to the Jeeps at the dealer, I could hear the high end distortion on both Jeeps, which makes me wonder, is it the stereo's in the Jeeps? I did call Alpine and all they did was tell me to send the Amp back. So my question is, am I expecting too much from the Amp, to smooth out the highs, from the stereo?
Should I send the Amp back to Alpine?

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This was and still is a great forum, so I just want to run this and get your opinion.
I was at my dealer, with my Jeep and while waiting for the service to get done, I jump into two other Jeeps, to hear their stereo.
The First Jeep, had a stock 7 inch stereo, to get a realignment of my ears, Second was a 8.4 inch Alpine system.
Now let me get to my system, first I did the amp with harness, Kicker 25AB(front,roll bar) also a Kicker 46HS10 10 inch sub.
I keep on hearing a little distortion in the highs, when my daughter heard it also, I know it wasn't, old ears.
So I thought it was the 25AB, sent them back to Kicker, put them in, same thing.
Next step Alpine SPR-10TW, then JBL Stadium GTO750T and then Kicker 47KSC3504 finally Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C ( if you are wondering who would put up with me, beside my wife, it is Crutchfield, can't say enough about them).
Now getting back to the Jeeps at the dealer, I could hear the high end distortion on both Jeeps, which makes me wonder, is it the stereo's in the Jeeps? I did call Alpine and all they did was tell me to send the Amp back. So my question is, am I expecting too much from the Amp, to smooth out the highs, from the stereo?
What source are you listening to? The factory radio sounds terrible with XM (XM in general is terrible, but I feel it’s worse in my JL than in other vehicles in the past). When I listen with my phone plugged in via CarPlay it sounds pretty decent. Pandora sounds ok, Spotify is better, and Tidal is the best.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What source are you listening to? The factory radio sounds terrible with XM (XM in general is terrible, but I feel it’s worse in my JL than in other vehicles in the past). When I listen with my phone plugged in via CarPlay it sounds pretty decent. Pandora sounds ok, Spotify is better, and Tidal is the best.
Most of my listening is XM and Blue Tooth, I will get a cable and see how that sounds.
Just for anyone's information the Kenwood's sounds great in the front, they also fit the Roll Bar, but I left my kicker's in the Roll Bar.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Most of my listening is XM and Blue Tooth, I will get a cable and see how that sounds.
Just for anyone's information the Kenwood's sounds great in the front, they also fit the Roll Bar, but I left my kicker's in the Roll Bar.
Just to clarify, I'm using the lightning to USB cable (same cable you charge your phone with), not a 3.5mm cable. The 3.5mm cable should sound fine too, but I just wanted to point out that you probably already have the cable you need.

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I always connect my phone (a Samsung S20) via the USB-C plug under the Audio lid and listen to Pandora through Android Autoplay. I've never noticed any distortion at higher frequencies (nor has my 26 year old- who of course hears those frequencies much better than I do at 53 :^). If you don't have the gains turned too high on the amp (in my experience, you have to turn the gain dial almost the whole way down), perhaps a replacement amp would solve the problem. The KickerAB speakers have worked really well for me.

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT

Possibly if youre looking for audio precision you should try the JL Audio FiX 86. That DSP allows you way more customizable audio tuning for specific needs. Also maybe higher quality speakers such as AudioFrog or at that level.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always connect my phone (a Samsung S20) via the USB-C plug under the Audio lid and listen to Pandora through Android Autoplay. I've never noticed any distortion at higher frequencies (nor has my 26 year old- who of course hears those frequencies much better than I do at 53 :^). If you don't have the gains turned too high on the amp (in my experience, you have to turn the gain dial almost the whole way down), perhaps a replacement amp would solve the problem. The KickerAB speakers have worked really well for me.
I set the amp, back to settings, that were on the Quadratec video for the PSS-23WRA. I will make sure the gain is turned down.
The Kenwood's in the front have silk tweeters and they did clean up the sound, left the Kickers AB is the Roll Bar.
Sponsored