Sponsored

GMRS antenna mount

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Overlanding folks outside of US seems fond of mounting their antenna on the front bush guards/bumpers. I personally think an antenna at the front of the vehicle looks really cool. I guess I am in the minority as I am a ham and was always interested in radios since I was a kid.

I also feel that it is less of an compromise than mounting it near the A pillar. I'm hesitant to mount it there because : 1) too close to the pillar causing bad SWR and blocking the radio waves in that direction. 2) too close to the driver/passenger to transmit at higher power.

Lastly, I think a skinny steel wire (AKA. the antenna) mounted on a bracket attached to a passenger side hood latch would only be minimally distracting.

In summary.... I wish I knew how to weld. It would be simple to make.

You don't need to weld, drilling and cutting is enough.

I have two hood mirrors off the latches and have considered switching one to an antenna. The are mounted on a bit of metal bent at an angle.

The hook portion of the latch on the hood is just held on by two bolts. The mount goes between the hood and the latch, then up over the top of the latch. You can make one out of a 3.5"x1.5" piece of thin aluminum flat bar.
Sponsored

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
How are you getting the wiring into the cab with the cowl mounts?
I ran mine under the cowl, then down the firewall to just below the brake cylinder. I brought it in using the clutch hole plug. Push and turn from inside out, it will drop to the floor. Then I drilled a hole in this plug a little oversized to allow a snug fitting rubber grommet from Home Depot. Assembly it so you can reinstall in the hole from under the dash. This has stayed in place and dry.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I ran mine under the cowl, then down the firewall to just below the brake cylinder. I brought it in using the clutch hole plug. Push and turn from inside out, it will drop to the floor. Then I drilled a hole in this plug a little oversized to allow a snug fitting rubber grommet from Home Depot. Assembly it so you can reinstall in the hole from under the dash. This has stayed in place and dry.
I have an auto. Thank you for the reply. There may be something similar with the auto trans.