First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Did you think about doing the MARS mod to your HAM so it can transmit on GMRS also?
I read about that, not sure of the legality of it and definitely waves the warranty on the radio

Thats why i bought 2 radios (1 GMRS and 1 HAM 2m and 70cm), 2 antennas and ran 2 antenna cables! (the cables alone were $120 because i wanted LMR400 UL).

Also from what i gathered, doing the mars mod to a ham radio allows it to operate on the GMRS frequencies but it wont be as good as a dedicated GMRS radio like the midland
Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
CoolTech GMRS mount up front and CoolTech 4’ Firestick mount out back. Magnetic Mic mounts for both mics, CMMG mount for MXT275, Quadratec quick release mount for the CB/SSB.

3ED1DBD4-BB13-4D07-B3D9-45B7A6E27D1A.jpeg

4B636809-7C6F-4CE7-95E9-F03658CD511F.jpeg

F75EE8EA-408B-4403-B9C8-2522F5A55DC1.jpeg

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Routed cable through the wiper motor cowl inside of some drip sprinkler pipe., through the clutch plug and behind the center stack.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount radio mounted

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
CoolTech GMRS mount up front and CoolTech 4’ Firestick mount out back. Magnetic Mic mounts for both mics, CMMG mount for MXT275, Quadratec quick release mount for the CB/SSB.

3ED1DBD4-BB13-4D07-B3D9-45B7A6E27D1A.jpeg

4B636809-7C6F-4CE7-95E9-F03658CD511F.jpeg

Super cool. Could you possibly post a pic that shows the CMMG mount in more detail?

F75EE8EA-408B-4403-B9C8-2522F5A55DC1.jpeg

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I read about that, not sure of the legality of it and definitely waves the warranty on the radio

Thats why i bought 2 radios (1 GMRS and 1 HAM 2m and 70cm), 2 antennas and ran 2 antenna cables! (the cables alone were $120 because i wanted LMR400 UL).

Also from what i gathered, doing the mars mod to a ham radio allows it to operate on the GMRS frequencies but it wont be as good as a dedicated GMRS radio like the midland
It's not legal, a radio must be certified by the FCC to operate on particular radio services and a ham radio is not certified to work on any other radio service. In fact they aren't even certified by the FCC for ham radio, since hams are allowed to build their own radios it's up to the operator to insure their radios meet ham radio guidelines. Of course that's not to say that you would get caught using a ham radio on GMRS as long as it's programmed correctly nobody would know unless you told them.
I wouldn't say that a ham radio itself wouldn't perform as well as a dedicated GMRS radio, it's more likely a ham radio antenna may not be tuned as well for GMRS as it is for 70cm ham.

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I actually used two CMMG mounts stacked together to get the mic where I wanted it. I had the radio body mounted off the Ram ball for a while but recently put it under the seat. I’m still playing around where I want everything. I may upgrade the radio when Midland releases the upgraded 50 watt and 25 watt versions this year. I want my CB/SSB and GMRS to be quick release so I can stow them when parked with no doors or top. I’ve also talked to CMMG and hopefully they’ll release a 6” or 8” straight bar so there’ll be no need to stack two kits in the future.

1687CC94-39C8-416F-BBA5-9597AD8E6C62.jpeg

BD151C0D-3667-4912-8324-10E93227E216.jpeg

94E0C333-B65F-4368-A758-522464D41D6A.jpeg

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I actually used two CMMG mounts stacked together to get the mic where I wanted it. I had the radio body mounted off the Ram ball for a while but recently put it under the seat. I’m still playing around where I want everything. I may upgrade the radio when Midland releases the upgraded 50 watt and 25 watt versions this year. I want my CB/SSB and GMRS to be quick release so I can stow them when parked with no doors or top. I’ve also talked to CMMG and hopefully they’ll release a 6” or 8” straight bar so there’ll be no need to stack two kits in the future.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount 94E0C333-B65F-4368-A758-522464D41D6A

Looks nice, but my leg rides against the transmission tunnel

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
It's not legal, a radio must be certified by the FCC to operate on particular radio services and a ham radio is not certified to work on any other radio service. In fact they aren't even certified by the FCC for ham radio, since hams are allowed to build their own radios it's up to the operator to insure their radios meet ham radio guidelines. Of course that's not to say that you would get caught using a ham radio on GMRS as long as it's programmed correctly nobody would know unless you told them.
I wouldn't say that a ham radio itself wouldn't perform as well as a dedicated GMRS radio, it's more likely a ham radio antenna may not be tuned as well for GMRS as it is for 70cm ham.
You are correct about all that :) and thats what i meant, a ham radio is going to have the antenna for the ham bands and it might not work as well for GMRS, so if i need 2 antennas i might as well do it right and install 2 radios, the best tool for the job! and all legal :) I passed my tech exam yesterday, waiting on my callsign to show up on their database now :D

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Looks nice, but my leg rides against the transmission tunnel
There are many adjustments available to move it around if needed. I found that with it how I have it mounted right now it sits under my leg and out of the way. I'll try to take a pic of it as I'm sitting if I take the Jeep to the gym later.

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
I think the consensus is that the more you can keep a front mount out of your line of sight, the better (aesthetically). Smack in the middle of the hood would be the best for performance (somewhat symmetrical ground plane.) Our front cowl mount lets you choose 1 of 4 places - 2 on each side and none of them will touch/harm the paint if you decide to remove or move it down the road.
Overlanding folks outside of US seems fond of mounting their antenna on the front bush guards/bumpers. I personally think an antenna at the front of the vehicle looks really cool. I guess I am in the minority as I am a ham and was always interested in radios since I was a kid.

I also feel that it is less of an compromise than mounting it near the A pillar. I'm hesitant to mount it there because : 1) too close to the pillar causing bad SWR and blocking the radio waves in that direction. 2) too close to the driver/passenger to transmit at higher power.

Lastly, I think a skinny steel wire (AKA. the antenna) mounted on a bracket attached to a passenger side hood latch would only be minimally distracting.

In summary.... I wish I knew how to weld. It would be simple to make.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Overlanding folks outside of US seems fond of mounting their antenna on the front bush guards/bumpers. I personally think an antenna at the front of the vehicle looks really cool. I guess I am in the minority as I am a ham and was always interested in radios since I was a kid.

I also feel that it is less of an compromise than mounting it near the A pillar. I'm hesitant to mount it there because : 1) too close to the pillar causing bad SWR and blocking the radio waves in that direction. 2) too close to the driver/passenger to transmit at higher power.

Lastly, I think a skinny steel wire (AKA. the antenna) mounted on a bracket attached to a passenger side hood latch would only be minimally distracting.

In summary.... I wish I knew how to weld. It would be simple to make.
I really like the Topsy NMO mount. I use it for CB and GMRS and just switch the antenna plug for what radio I'm using. I have a browning BR-140-B for CB and Midland MXTA26 for GMRS antennas. I just use a Baofeng radio for Ham, but friend of mine has a UHF radio wired into his jeep and uses the NMO mount for Ham, GMRS and CB. This mount works pretty well for using the hood as a ground plane; not as good as if you drilled a hole in the middle of the hood to mount an antenna, but is clean and looks good. Plus with the antenna right there you can easily see any potential impacts that could hurt it. All my antennas are flexible enough that there isn't an issue with tree branches bending an antenna to a damage point.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
You've mounted it further out to the front and I think that's better. Although I'd like to go further towards the front.
If you don't have a Rubicon or their high mount fenders you can mount it over the front fender