Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So, snarky remarks about a hi lift aside, if you don't wheel much, buy a cheaper Winch especially if you already have a factory steel bumper. A 10k lbs SmittyBilt, or even the Harbor Freight badlands will get the occasional user out of most anything. I have a 10k smittybilt that I paid about $320 for. I've only used it to pull a few big trucks and JLUs out of the snow.
50 bucks got me a 12,000 lb Badlands winch from a Jeep Buddy. I paid more for the new cable than the winch itself, lol.
Sponsored

Backdraft91

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
We run a smittybilt winch on our JL. Used it to get off a log and on a second occasion to pull a truck out of the mud. After recently moving to the city for work we still wheel on the weekends and it’s worth the 500$ if you don’t want to spend hours digging. When we go out alone we only drive over big obstacles if there are winch anchors around like trees. Obviously this is personal preference, but getting stuck does happen and it’s nice to have that extra tool to help yourself or someone that’s having a bad day. We live in BC Canada and the terrain varies, 2 days ago I encountered mud (used the winch) snow, ice and water, all in one day. I’d consider what terrain you’re driving on and like others have mentioned you should consider the frequency of use. Ours winch is for emergencies and a 500$ winch with a cover does the trick. If you’re planning on doing more then maybe a better quality Warn winch with synthetic rope and all the fancy stuff is better. We are pretty new to the Jeep world so this is all beginner info I’ve acquired over the past 2 years. Hope it helps.

DEEE6575-156C-4AA3-8A90-15EF29632F7B.jpeg

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I don't plan to run the Rubicon or do any hardcore off roading, I do plan to use my Jeep for working on my property - falling trees, etc. I plan to mostly use the winch for pulling the downed tree to an area which I cut the tree into rounds and then do the splitting and haul away - I only heat my house via fireplace.

See the attached photo. While it's hard to see, I stripped off all of the plastic "fluff" down to the frame. Then I welded in 3/16" steel angle iron to the frame to mount the winch to. After this was done, I trimmed the "fluff" to fit around the winch. I think it came out pretty good.

The winch I have is a Smitty Built, 9500 lbs. - Smitty manufactures winches designed just for Jeep's. The wiring is straight forward and easy to install - while one might think the winch should ground right to the frame, use the supplied extra ground cable they supply. I really like the control they supply, plenty of cord length. If you plan to off road by yourself, one can winch while sitting behind the wheel.

I also wanted to take an extra few gallons of fuel with me, but didn't want to mount the can(s) on the spare tire. I couldn't find anyone who sold the type of fuel carrier I wanted - so I made my own. The tail gate fully opens without hitting the tail light.

I also wanted to ensure that no one could syphon from my can, so I built the securing member to angle around the fill cap and it's lockable.

The extra fuel carrier mounts to the same mounting space as the original hinges - I did need to replace the factory bolts with longer ones due to the extra length of the carrier bracket. I found the harden steel bolts at Home Depot - the head of the bolt takes the same bit as supplied by Jeep, no extra tool or bit heads needed.

Jeep winch 2.jpg

20200808_125751.jpg

20200802_090913.jpg

jeep gas carrier 1.jpg

JaxPilot

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito! Sahara 2.0L Turbo
Question for y 'all. If the Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth Winch 10,000 lbs with Synthetic Rope is selling for $600, and you can pick up the WARN 103253 VR EVO Series Winch 10,000lb with Synthetic Rope for $670, would conventional wisdom say that the $70 extra for the Warn is worth it, especially given the wired/wireless remote, IP68 rating (vs. the IP67) and the Warn reputation?

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Question for y 'all. If the Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth Winch 10,000 lbs with Synthetic Rope is selling for $600, and you can pick up the WARN 103253 VR EVO Series Winch 10,000lb with Synthetic Rope for $670, would conventional wisdom say that the $70 extra for the Warn is worth it, especially given the wired/wireless remote, IP68 rating (vs. the IP67) and the Warn reputation?
what site are you seeing the warn at that price?

Sponsored

21RubiconZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon 2 door, 2007 VN2000
You can find them all day for $745, but I think I've seen them in the $670 range and was wondering the same thing. Seems like a decent price for a good brand???

JaxPilot

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito! Sahara 2.0L Turbo
Morris 4x4 with a discount (10%) received from the Green Jeep Only Facebook group. The same 10% off they were running a few days ago. Ryan Card is the sales rep to contact.

EDIT:
Actually, this code - 10MORRIS - is working right now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 1604028676558

Last edited:

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
I don't plan to run the Rubicon or do any hardcore off roading, I do plan to use my Jeep for working on my property - falling trees, etc. I plan to mostly use the winch for pulling the downed tree to an area which I cut the tree into rounds and then do the splitting and haul away - I only heat my house via fireplace.

See the attached photo. While it's hard to see, I stripped off all of the plastic "fluff" down to the frame. Then I welded in 3/16" steel angle iron to the frame to mount the winch to. After this was done, I trimmed the "fluff" to fit around the winch. I think it came out pretty good.

The winch I have is a Smitty Built, 9500 lbs. - Smitty manufactures winches designed just for Jeep's. The wiring is straight forward and easy to install - while one might think the winch should ground right to the frame, use the supplied extra ground cable they supply. I really like the control they supply, plenty of cord length. If you plan to off road by yourself, one can winch while sitting behind the wheel.

I also wanted to take an extra few gallons of fuel with me, but didn't want to mount the can(s) on the spare tire. I couldn't find anyone who sold the type of fuel carrier I wanted - so I made my own. The tail gate fully opens without hitting the tail light.

I also wanted to ensure that no one could syphon from my can, so I built the securing member to angle around the fill cap and it's lockable.

The extra fuel carrier mounts to the same mounting space as the original hinges - I did need to replace the factory bolts with longer ones due to the extra length of the carrier bracket. I found the harden steel bolts at Home Depot - the head of the bolt takes the same bit as supplied by Jeep, no extra tool or bit heads needed.

is that a stock Willys bumper! How did you mount a winch in there?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The stealth is a pretty nice winch. Compact and (IIRC) It has an led light over the drum so you can see the cable/line at night. Both are made in China so it's six of these half dozen of those. The Quadratec used to be half that price, though. You can't go wrong with SmittyBilt, Quadratec, Warn or Badlands.

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
The stealth is a pretty nice winch. Compact and (IIRC) It has an led light over the drum so you can see the cable/line at night. Both are made in China so it's six of these half dozen of those. The Quadratec used to be half that price, though. You can't go wrong with SmittyBilt, Quadratec, Warn or Badlands.
Pretty bummed, I have the Stealth 10k synthetic on order and it was on the page for Dec 1 shipping. I just randomly checked the status and now it says APRIL! Emailed and they said thats all of the pending ones. I'd like to get something before then, I'd been kinda between the Stealth and the Smitty X20, I still prefer the look of that Quadratec but not sure I want to wait. Who even knows if they're for sure in stock then...

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
I think the question is how many winches do I have. My XJ ran duel winches 8k Ramsey front and 8k H.F. rear. My LJ has had 2 different ones started with a 6k Mile Marker short drum I was saving weight and space, then it failed dropping the load replacement with Q-Tec 9.5k winch. JT currently has a 12k Havoc winch otherwise it was getting a Q-Tec 9-10k winch or H.F. my 4wheeler is on it's second winch. I'd love to run Warn 8274 winch but it's not my budget.
I'm running a mix between cable and rope on different ones. Both have there place, cable last when exposed to weather, mud, sand ect.
My reason for getting the 12k winch was due to cost if they had a 9k or 10k for the price I got it for or less I would have. Now I doubt I need 12k of pulling much less, I have snatch blocks for double line pulls. FYI you only get max capacity on first layer on winch line.
Now the question to ask is how many have their winch isolated from power until needed? A very good safety thing to have if in wreck or something wears / cuts power cable.

Last edited:

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I think the question is how many winches do I have. My XJ ran duel winches 8k Ramsey front and 8k H.F. rear. My LJ has had 2 different ones started with a 6k Mile Marker short drum I was saving weight and space, then it failed dropping the load replacement with Q-Tec 9.5k winch. JT currently has a 12k Havoc winch otherwise it was getting a Q-Tec 9-10k winch or H.F. my 4wheeler is on it's second winch. I'd love to run Warn 8274 winch but it's not my budget.
I'm running a mix between cable and rope on different ones. Both have there place, cable last when exposed to weather, mud, sand ect.
My reason for getting the 12k winch was due to cost if they had a 9k or 10k for the price I got it for or less I would have. Now I doubt I need 12k of pulling much less, I have snatch blocks for double line pulls. FYI you only get max capacity on first layer on winch line.
Now the question to ask is how many have their winch isolated from power until needed? A very good safety thing to have if in wreck or something wears / cuts power cable.
The warn solenoid kit its really easy to install. I just made a bracket to hang it on out of aluminum angle. The electrical hookup is a no brainier.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
The warn solenoid kit its really easy to install. I just made a bracket to hang it on out of aluminum angle. The electrical hookup is a no brainier.
I used the same kit on my XJ, on JT I did the same thing but bought parts for less. :like: I did a write up on the JT forum of it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Smittybilt XRC9500 in the factory steel bumper. I went as light weight as possible (syn rope version = 46lbs) because I knew I would only use it rarely. Turns out I've used it more than the winches on my JK and YJ combined in just the last year! It has run perfectly and has done multiple back to back tough pulls, yanking fellow Jeep club members' Jeeps up some very difficult terrain and it didn't appear to break a sweat doing it. It's been a great winch, so far!

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I have a Smittybilt XRC9500 in the factory steel bumper. I went as light weight as possible (syn rope version = 46lbs) because I knew I would only use it rarely. Turns out I've used it more than the winches on my JK and YJ combined in just the last year! It has run perfectly and has done multiple back to back tough pulls, yanking fellow Jeep club members' Jeeps up some very difficult terrain and it didn't appear to break a sweat doing it. It's been a great winch, so far!
I second that! I have the Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 9500 pounder and have used it multiple times with no errors... One of which was to help a Nissan Titan ProX up a muddy hill.

Things to remember: if you ever will need a winch with a Wrangler, it will be to BARELY help yourself or someone else over an obstacle, so the full weight of the vehicle will rarely be pulled. The few times that it does, get a snatch block and use physics to your advantage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXS3BXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did upgrade mine to a synthetic line also.
Sponsored