Sponsored

Warranty Questions.

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Greetings all.
2020 JL 2 door sport S owner here. Approx 9000km - 5600 miles on it now.
taking it in for warranty concerns at the end of the day today. With very little time to research the issues before I take it in .... I figured There’s a wealth of info here.... 2 bigger concerns:
1. Rear end makes a clunking sound after a deceleration then applying gas. Occasionally when accelerating around a corner (city driving). Almost sounds like slack in The gears. Normal or not normal ? Clunking and racket from a rear end does not add up to good things in my mind.

2. Steering. The thing is almost un-drivable on the highway. Wanders everywhere. I’m told that there may be an update kit for the steering box ?? Does anyone know if this applies to my vintage / make ?

smaller concerns ...

3. Apple car play skips when playing music. Seems to be a known problem.
4. Back up cam sometimes provides nothing but a completely white screen.

Any input, things I should know about these issues, Your experiences with these issues, and any other relevant info that pertains to this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Greetings all.
taking it in for warranty concerns at the end of the day today. With very little time to research the issues before I take it in .... I figured There’s a wealth of info here.... 2 bigger concerns:
1. Rear end makes a clunking sound after a deceleration then applying gas. Occasionally when accelerating around a corner (city driving). Almost sounds like slack in The gears. Normal or not normal ? Clunking and racket from a rear end does not add up to good things in my mind.

2. Steering. The thing is almost un-drivable on the highway. Wanders everywhere. I’m told that there may be an update kit for the steering box ?? Does anyone know if this applies to my vintage / make ?

smaller concerns ...

Any input, things I should know about these issues, Your experiences with these issues, and any other relevant info that pertains to this would be greatly appreciated.
Stick or auto trans?
1. Some noise is normal especially with a manual transmission. Going from decel to accel everything is shifting over to the "other side" of the load and some play is build in. This is more noticeable at low speeds. But not seeing it myself I'd say just get it checked.
2. There is a fix for this. Make sure you tell your dealer it feels like there is a lot of play in the steering wheel and wanders on flat roads. Tell them it seems worse after you've been driving for a while and it's hot.
3. Make sure you have a high quality USB cable. One that is rated for data and not just charging. Car play uses a lot of bandwidth. But given #4 have the dealer check it (bring a good cable with you).
4. Have it checked. You can also put your vin in at driveuconnect.com to see if your radio needs an update. You can do it yourself if you like using a usb thumb drive. You're bringing it in anyway so I'd just let them do it.

Also, check that all of your fuses are fully seated. Push down on them all to make sure.

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Stick or auto trans?
1. Some noise is normal especially with a manual transmission. Going from decel to accel everything is shifting over to the "other side" of the load and some play is build in. This is more noticeable at low speeds. But not seeing it myself I'd say just get it checked.
2. There is a fix for this. Make sure you tell your dealer it feels like there is a lot of play in the steering wheel and wanders on flat roads. Tell them it seems worse after you've been driving for a while and it's hot.
3. Make sure you have a high quality USB cable. One that is rated for data and not just charging. Car play uses a lot of bandwidth. But given #4 have the dealer check it (bring a good cable with you).
4. Have it checked. You can also put your vin in at driveuconnect.com to see if your radio needs an update. You can do it yourself if you like using a usb thumb drive. You're bringing it in anyway so I'd just let them do it.

Also, check that all of your fuses are fully seated. Push down on them all to make sure.
Excellent info. Thank you very much for your reply.
sorry. Should have mentioned.
it’s automatic. And currently pre mod. No lift. Just stock until all the “kinks” are worked out.
your analogy about everything “shifting” to the the other side is an excellent way to describe what I’m hearing in the diff.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Greetings all.

smaller concerns ...

Hello @shepherd82
We are sorry to hear about the concerns you've had with your Jeep. Please know that our team is available via private message for additional support alongside any dealer visit. We would be happy to hear from you in regards to the outcome of your recent appointment.

Kathryn
JeepCares

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t say I hear any clunking noises coming from the drivetrain. I have a 4-door, so I don’t know if that makes any difference since the rear diff sits further back. But I owned three 2-door JKs and never heard any clunking noises coming from the drivetrain on those either. So I’d say it isn’t normal.

The wandering steering issue is probable exacerbated on the 2-door due to the short wheelbase. I remember the steering on my 2-door JKs being much more squirrelly than my 4-doors.

Sounds like you have legitimate warranty concerns.

Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Thanks to those who relied.
Update from the dealer warranty experience :
I’ve lost all faith in humanity... might sum it up. I took a tech for a test drive to point out the issues. He agreed that he could hear the noise from the rear end. Then I left the Jeep in their drive through bay.
I took a picture of the odometer before leaving the dealership. Much to my somewhat expected surprise, no change in mileage when I picked up the Jeep. Despite that fact.....
1. “Test drive vehicle- unable to duplicate clunking sound” SHOCKING !!!! :facepalm:
2. “Test drive vehicle- steering symptoms are exactly like bulletin 08-074-20. Updated steering gear ordered”. When asked exactly what that was, I was given the reply “just some bolts n stuff”.
3. Apple car play skips. Unable to duplicate. I will try a new cord- and possibly a different audio source / iPhone.
4. back up cam goes white. Unable to duplicate. (Not surprised. It’s intermittent)
I also had them change the oil... god forbid I do that myself and void the powertrain warranty.
they managed to fill it with what seemed to be an extra litre of oil and dented the hood... looks like there was something left on top of the engine and then the hood dropped ? So I have a coin sized “outtie” dent in the hood.
I went into the experience with high hopes and low expectations. They’ve managed to defeat me on all counts.
Perhaps it’s only disappointing because I’m a journeyman auto mechanic AND a licensed aircraft mechanic. Perhaps I set the bar too high with my expectations of a BRAND NEW vehicle And the dealership service. Having wrenched at a car dealership for a number of years- I pretty much knew how the warranty concerns would be addressed. Now... in the aircraft hangar.... mediocrity and incompetence are unacceptable under all circumstances. I Really like jeeps... and this Jeep. But the brand new vehicle novelty has worn off quite rapidly here. I’m tempted to collect the “bolts n stuff” and do all future maintenance on my own.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Thanks to those who relied.
Update from the dealer warranty experience :
I’ve lost all faith in humanity... might sum it up. I took a tech for a test drive to point out the issues. He agreed that he could hear the noise from the rear end. Then I left the Jeep in their drive through bay.
I took a picture of the odometer before leaving the dealership. Much to my somewhat expected surprise, no change in mileage when I picked up the Jeep. Despite that fact.....
1. “Test drive vehicle- unable to duplicate clunking sound” SHOCKING !!!! :facepalm:
2. “Test drive vehicle- steering symptoms are exactly like bulletin 08-074-20. Updated steering gear ordered”. When asked exactly what that was, I was given the reply “just some bolts n stuff”.
3. Apple car play skips. Unable to duplicate. I will try a new cord- and possibly a different audio source / iPhone.
4. back up cam goes white. Unable to duplicate. (Not surprised. It’s intermittent)
I also had them change the oil... god forbid I do that myself and void the powertrain warranty.
they managed to fill it with what seemed to be an extra litre of oil and dented the hood... looks like there was something left on top of the engine and then the hood dropped ? So I have a coin sized “outtie” dent in the hood.
I went into the experience with high hopes and low expectations. They’ve managed to defeat me on all counts.
Perhaps it’s only disappointing because I’m a journeyman auto mechanic AND a licensed aircraft mechanic. Perhaps I set the bar too high with my expectations of a BRAND NEW vehicle And the dealership service. Having wrenched at a car dealership for a number of years- I pretty much knew how the warranty concerns would be addressed. Now... in the aircraft hangar.... mediocrity and incompetence are unacceptable under all circumstances. I Really like jeeps... and this Jeep. But the brand new vehicle novelty has worn off quite rapidly here. I’m tempted to collect the “bolts n stuff” and do all future maintenance on my own.
Sorry to hear. A few thoughts:

1. yeah, "unable to duplicate" is a default response for some shops. Can try a different dealer.
2. It is a whole new steering box. There is a TSB for this - it is a warranty fix, at least they sound like they'll do it. Could be a wait for parts though.
3. Could be a number of things. I don't have car play, but have had no issues with BT music streaming using both iPhone and Android. I assume you have the 7" or 8.4" infotainment so maybe you can't just do plain streaming without Android or Apple car play? Since software is involved there are quite a few variables.
4. That sounds like a loose connection or maybe a cold solder joint? Intermittent electrical issues are a pita.

Sadly the oil change is a not-uncommon occurrence as the JK models took 6 quarts, JL takes 5 and apparently some techs don't know the difference between a K and an L. Many here advocate doing your own oil changes as it is easy to get to everything. Jeep Wave program be damned...

The ding in the hood sucks, if you have a before pic of the car you could have a better shot with that documentation. Worth PMing Jeep Cares and working all angles.

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Sorry to hear. A few thoughts:

1. yeah, "unable to duplicate" is a default response for some shops. Can try a different dealer.
2. It is a whole new steering box. There is a TSB for this - it is a warranty fix, at least they sound like they'll do it. Could be a wait for parts though.
3. Could be a number of things. I don't have car play, but have had no issues with BT music streaming using both iPhone and Android. I assume you have the 7" or 8.4" infotainment so maybe you can't just do plain streaming without Android or Apple car play? Since software is involved there are quite a few variables.
4. That sounds like a loose connection or maybe a cold solder joint? Intermittent electrical issues are a pita.

Sadly the oil change is a not-uncommon occurrence as the JK models took 6 quarts, JL takes 5 and apparently some techs don't know the difference between a K and an L. Many here advocate doing your own oil changes as it is easy to get to everything. Jeep Wave program be damned...

The ding in the hood sucks, if you have a before pic of the car you could have a better shot with that documentation. Worth PMing Jeep Cares and working all angles.
Thanks. Just read up on that steering box..
they told me it’s covered under warranty. I’m still tempted to install the parts myself. Will definitely be taking pics prior to my next visit- if any.
Good to know about the JKs taking 5liters. likely explains the “freebie” I got lol.
I have the 7in unconnect. Bluetooth connectivity seems excellent. No problems there at all. It only skips out when physically connected with the iPhone cord / USB. I believe there’s a few other threads on here with others having the same problem.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I have the 7in unconnect. Bluetooth connectivity seems excellent. No problems there at all. It only skips out when physically connected with the iPhone cord / USB. I believe there’s a few other threads on here with others having the same problem.
ahh - I'd try different cables. The quality of materials on them can vary. The workaround would be to just use BT. As far as I can tell the only downside is you lose the album cover art vs running wired.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you have the limited slip differential (LSD)? There is a thread on those with a LSD having issues.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

84 pages long. If this sounds like it may be it you might want to start reading nearer the end. This seems to be a "common" issue although not addressed with a TSB like your steering.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Do you have the limited slip differential (LSD)? There is a thread on those with a LSD having issues.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

84 pages long. If this sounds like it may be it you might want to start reading nearer the end. This seems to be a "common" issue although not addressed with a TSB like your steering.
How can I positively identify if I have the limited slip diff ?
I do not have the build sheets... I know that there is a way to get them, but not sure exactly how.
It’s a 2 door JL sport S- if that helps.
I will certainly take a look at that thread. Thanks for the link.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None