Sponsored

JL warranty Questions

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
This is my first new off the lot vehicle so sorry if these are dumb questions. Is there any maintenance I can do myself such as oil changes? If so how do you prove it was done regularly and how often does the warranty require. Also will aftermarket customization void the warranty such as lifts or other mechanical changes? Thanks for the help
Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
From my understanding it would only void the warranty if the dealer can probe such modification caused the damage. So, a lift and bigger tires would likely void transmission /axel/etc due to the extra stress put on those parts. Regearing will because you're directly altering the part etc. Hope it helps

If u have a good relationship with the dealer, I've read lots of people don't have an issue with this. Dealer jjust ignore the mod and perform the regular maintenance unless of course is something really expensive

OP
OP
Poynter32

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
From my understanding it would only void the warranty if the dealer can probe such modification caused the damage. So, a lift and bigger tires would likely void transmission /axel/etc due to the extra stress put on those parts. Regearing will because you're directly altering the part etc. Hope it helps

If u have a good relationship with the dealer, I've read lots of people don't have an issue with this. Dealer jjust ignore the mod and perform the regular maintenance unless of course is something really expensive
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Do you know anything about doing my own oil changes etc.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Do you know anything about doing my own oil changes etc.
I am not sure of those. Keeping receipts of oil and filter used would be my only suggestion. Oil change would be around 70 I imagine so I would rather spend that at the dealer than having to deal with them in case they said I didn't do them properly and what not. Save the headache

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Just spoke to my dealer about doing my own maintenance.
when asked about oil changes / fluid changes etc. The service writer basically said that if there’s NO proper receipt/ work order, on a proper letterhead, from a proper shop, and your engine grenades before warranty expires, you are F#&KED. And further specified that : saving receipts from purchasing oil and filters WILL NOTbe adequate proof that you did, in fact, change the oil.
don’t shoot the messenger... it’s just what the guy told me.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
when asked about oil changes / fluid changes etc. The service writer basically said that if there’s NO proper receipt/ work order, on a proper letterhead, from a proper shop, and your engine grenades before warranty expires, you are F#&KED. And further specified that : saving receipts from purchasing oil and filters WILL NOTbe adequate proof that you did, in fact, change the oil.
The guy is a dumbass.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Agreed. Oh... and they were kind enough to put in 6 litres of oil instead of the required 5!!!!
Hey it’s a whole free quart of oil. If you suck that quart out every time, after 5 you can do one yourself for free.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have zero idea what the law is in Canada. That is NOT true in the US and if any US dealer says that, they are lying.

why bump a 2-year old thread for this?
Sponsored