Questions....questions everywhere

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
As a first-time Wrangler owner, i have a few questions after my first 9 days of ownership:

1. The fenders have that gap between them and the body of the car, which living in a wooded area makes it a haven for collecting leafs and tree debris. Is it something i have to live with and fish it out, or does anyone use any trim-type material to cover those gaps?

2. The rear fenders have this "sticker-looking" thing by the rear doors. What are they for?

3. When is it prudent to do the first oil change?

4. When rotation tires (with each oil change?), do you add the spare into the rotation?

5. Is the hood insulation pad removable? Similar to #1, getting debris into the hood vents

6. How do i remove the dealer badge? not a big fan of it but don't want to just pull it off and damage the paint

7. Do you only hand wash the JLs? With shiny new paint, don't want swirl marks and other crap it may get from car wash

and last, but not least...

8. Where can i find local groups and list of local trails? want to start off-roading in the fall but never done it, so would prefer to go with a group rather than alone.

JL Fender.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
That's a whole lot of questions for one post.
  1. This stuff from Amazon (tons of posts about it, varying levels of satisfaction) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DI2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_toR.CbS7H5XHV
  2. Protection against rock chips.
  3. Lots of varying opinions on this forum...
  4. See answer for #3.
  5. Yes - use a trim removal tool to pop the clips out.
  6. Heat gun.
  7. See answer for #3.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
As a first-time Wrangler owner, i have a few questions after my first 9 days of ownership:

7. Do you only hand wash the JLs? With shiny new paint, don't want swirl marks and other crap it may get from car wash

and last, but not least...

8. Where can i find local groups and list of local trails? want to start off-roading in the fall but never done it, so would prefer to go with a group rather than alone.
You can toss out your worries about #7 if youre going to take #8 even the slightest bit serious.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You can toss out your worries about #7 if youre going to take #8 even the slightest bit serious.
ha, fair point but my e46 has swirl marks and they are ghastly to look at.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
on ? # 2, does all the new jl have them. i don't think i have it.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
on ? # 2, does all the new jl have them. i don't think i have it.
There was a thread about that a while back - some have partial coverage (like OP), some have fully-covered fenders (like me), some have none. I don't recall if we ever found a pattern for which Wranglers have what.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
ha, fair point but my e46 has swirl marks and they are ghastly to look at.
Im just being honest from experience, I was trying to be a jerk. Swirl marks are probably gonna be the least of your concerns.

If you have the money, do the 3M paint protection wrap for the entire body if you want to protect that paint. Otherwise, as I quickly learned as a newbie, you forget about the scratches and other marks.

jimw630

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2001 TJ, 1999 TJ, 1969 CJ5, 1950 CJ3A, 1948 CJ2A
There was a thread about that a while back - some have partial coverage (like OP), some have fully-covered fenders (like me), some have none. I don't recall if we ever found a pattern for which Wranglers have what.
I believe they said the color matched fenders are the only ones that have it

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
6. How do i remove the dealer badge? not a big fan of it but don't want to just pull it off and damage the paint
Like someone mentioned, use a hairdryer or heat gun (be VERY careful with a heat gun to not get the paint too hot) to soften the adhesive. If the emblem won't peel off at this point, use some monofilament fishing line or thin string to place behind the emblem, working it in a gentle "sawing" type motion while pulling away from your Jeep, to help pry it off. Afterwards, use some Goo-Gone or similar type product and then apply some protectant or wax over the area. I have removed MANY emblems this way and have NEVER had any type of paint damage. Like you, not a fan of dealer emblems or even license plate frames with the dealers name on it.

On a funny note... guess my OCD comes out whenever I see a vehicle in front of me at a traffic light and their dealer emblem is crooked!!! God, I just want to get out and ask them "how can you tolerate that? Doesn't it just drive you fuc*ing crazy?" Lol!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Like someone mentioned, use a hairdryer or heat gun (be VERY careful with a heat gun to not get the paint too hot) to soften the adhesive. If the emblem won't peel off at this point, use some monofilament fishing line or thin string to place behind the emblem, working it in a gentle "sawing" type motion while pulling away from your Jeep, to help pry it off. Afterwards, use some Goo-Gone or similar type product and then apply some protectant or wax over the area. I have removed MANY emblems this way and have NEVER had any type of paint damage. Like you, not a fan of dealer emblems or even license plate frames with the dealers name on it.

On a funny note... guess my OCD comes out whenever I see a vehicle in front of me at a traffic light and their dealer emblem is crooked!!! God, I just want to get out and ask them "how can you tolerate that? Doesn't it just drive you fuc*ing crazy?" Lol!

Would these heat gun instructions also apply to the metal “Jeep” badges?

I gently pried on them when I removed my decals (I hate all decals), but they didn’t give, so I stopped.

I’d still like to ditch them, though. I reckon people know it’s a Jeep, and if they don’t I don’t care.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

I gently pried on them when I removed my decals (I hate all decals), but they didn’t give, so I stopped.

I’d still like to ditch them, though. I reckon people know it’s a Jeep, and if they don’t I don’t care.
Yeah it should work just fine. Also, set it in the hot sun. I use turtle wax sticker and adhesive remover. But, imo, it smells like WD-40 lol. So that would probably work too:like:

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing

I used my wife’s hair dryer, some fishing line, and Goo Gone to remove dealer stickers, Sahara and Wrangler Unlimited logos. One of my first mods on all my vehicles.

4AC85920-062C-4628-A653-ECCCAECEA664.jpeg

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I'll keep this thread for my rookie questions:

When listening to satellite radio, there is considerable signal interruption to the point i just switch out of it. Is it due to the area where i live or is the system just that spotty?

and i'll finish with 2 complaints about the key fob that really grind my gears. And no, neither one is related to it being a brick

1. The button to release the key is raised too much so i'm constantly getting stabbed when i have the key in my pocket and sit down and movement presses the button and releases the key

2. The fact that the key ring is not detachable. In my wife's WK2, you slide the bar over and the Jeep key as well as the key ring is released. This is great when we're coming home and i have to make a run to the grocery store, for example, so i can just detach the key ring, give it to my wife to get in the house with the kids and i can leave immediately. Not so with the JL.

Jeep Key.jpg
Sponsored