Bummed after soft top vandalized :/

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But dĂ—mn...

Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

Anyone have good links to aftermarket gloveboxes or locking hood latches?

20200516_181218.jpg

20200516_181234.jpg

20200516_181355.jpg
Sponsored

Mall Crawler

First Name
James and Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Not a glove box, but Have the Lock'er Down center console safe and Diabolical Slipstream for bigger things in the back. There is a lot of crime here in Vegas and I feel a lot more comfortable with these additions. Both quality products. Sorry it happened to you and hope you find what you are looking for!!! Thanks for what you do also!!!!!

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Not a glove box, but Have the Lock'er Down center console safe and Diabolical Slipstream for bigger things in the back. There is a lot of crime here in Vegas and I feel a lot more comfortable with these additions. Both quality products. Sorry it happened to you and hope you find what you are looking for!!! Thanks for what you do also!!!!!
Thanks!!

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.
Thanks for looking after us!

You can get a locking center console, etc, etc, but it doesn't stop people from ripping up shit to try to get in like they did with your glovebox.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
That sucks, sorry to hear. After you get things fixed, I recommend not locking your doors and keeping nothing of value in your Jeep. That’s what I do (I mean, in the summer the top is often down and the doors off, anyway.)

Those aftermarket lock boxes may be sturdy enough to keep your average tweaker from gaining access, but that’s just going to frustrate him and make him more prone to destroying your stuff.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Locking hood latches? Get the bolt hood lock that's part of the grill and you can key to your FOB key. I have the Jeep backbone for rear storage but the slipstream or tuffy versions securely store too. I never lock the console or glovebox for the same reason - a smash and grab they'll just bust the handles. They might get an inexpensive knife, box of kleenex, pen, change, etc but those items are worth less than the cost to fix the handles.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Think on the positive side, if you had a hard-top, they would have smashed a window. In NYC, you are better-off leaving the glove box and console open so they can see there's nothing valuable. You can also make up a pair of signs to put in the side windows "No valuables in car".

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But dĂ—mn...

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bummed after soft top vandalized :/ 20200516_181355

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Think on the positive side, if you had a hard-top, they would have smashed a window. In NYC, you are better-off leaving the glove box and console open so they can see there's nothing valuable. You can also make up a pair of signs to put in the side windows "No valuables in car".
I always wondered why people living in high break in areas even bother locking their cars. I would be willing to bet anything someone has in their glove box or center console isn't worth the time, money and effort of replacing a broken window.

Not that its the right way to do things, but I only tend to lock it when in an area with foot traffic and if I will only be away for an hour or few, and that's only if I have anything of remote value in the vehicle at the time.

Sitting unattended with anything less than a cheap pair of sunglasses, some change, pens, trashbags, etc. I much rather have someone check the door, have all the dome lights go on, and quickly open the unlocked console and glove box and decide there isnt anything in there.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for your loss especially given your occupation, if you start a gofundme I am willing to pitch in for replacing your hardware.
Sponsored