Ordered soft top, buying after market hardtop

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I understand that I will not have the defrosters and wipers but is it really that big of a deal?

considering the JL has a backup camera I won't really need the rear window to back up + I have side mirrors and I have my side mirrors for highway driving if needed

so for those that have gotten a hardtop WITHOUT the wiper and defroster is it that big of a deal? I mean the Softop doesn't have those features and people seem to be fine.

main reason this is a problem for me is I wanted to get a body colored hardtop and I could not order it anymore in mojito so I figured why waste the extra cash on a hardtop, when I rather have the slanted hardtop if black is my only option and then just get the slanted Softop once mine starts to get crappy in a few years.
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
The hardtop is quieter and is more convenient to load items .. I have had both and prefer the soft top.. If you plan on lifting and adding bigger tires the back window becomes useless to see out of anyways

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
9000 miles and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have looked out the back window (soft top)

I would forgo the hardtop all together, but that's just me.
hardtop PITA to store
PITA to swap hardtop to softtop, then back
quieter? meh
Warmer? maybe, but jeep heat is insane, no problem in NJ winter this year, and it was cold AF. and I don't even have premium soft top.

OP
OP
Dansjeep

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
thank you, for the info and I plan on going 37 so didn't even think of tire sizes taking out the back window anyway lol.

Sweet deal thank you all

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
I got the dual tops and likely won't ever put the hard top back on. Soft top is that good IMO.

Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I got the dual tops and likely won't ever put the hard top back on. Soft top is that good IMO.
Is there a market out there for hardtops that can't find a home? I'm thinking of shopping around.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I think two big factors are where you live and where it's parked. I like having both so I can have a defroster and wiper in the winter months and not get a a bunch of salt and grime on my soft top. Perhaps not a huge deal, I rarely need the defroster anyway since it's in my garage every night.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I purchased mine with the black hardtop then purchased the soft top. I’m the opposite of you guys up north; soft top October-May and hardtop May-October. For me the hardtop keeps the Jeep cooler in the summer.

Florida summers are hot!!
Sponsored