Bummed after soft top vandalized :/

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Man that sucks! I always figure things are a bit safer in the glove box vs the center console because of how the handle breaks. can't help you with how to get into the glove box..my dad's glove box handle in his Nissan titan broke off 4-5 years ago! lol he has no idea what is inside but he doesn't really care anyway.

Did they try to pry up your center console at all?
Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
This is my biggest fear. I leave the glove box and center console unlocked no matter what. i got doors off + topless all the time. I keep nothing in the Jeep except some velcro straps and some $4 cheapo sunglasses (hidden). I wish you the best. Everyone else has already given the best advice so I won't just regurgitate.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...As a LEO, I’m annoyed that these people have been let out the jail system to run wild...until we can round up all these people, put them back and keep them in jail.
Agreed. Even if rounding them up and placing them all in prison is a pipe dream, their life choices will catch up to them and if they don’t end up in jail, they’ll end up dead.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But dĂ—mn...

Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

Anyone have good links to aftermarket gloveboxes or locking hood latches?

20200516_181218.jpg

20200516_181234.jpg

20200516_181355.jpg
Damn that's Fd Up..! Especially since your out here to help people. Just trust that carma will bite his a#$ good. You keep being the angel God intended you to be, and thank you for your service to the world, and my state. Actually you should send this post to Mario Cuomo's office, and the mayor of NY. The least they can do is have it fixed for you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry about your truck. Crime sucks. Period.

Given that 36 million Americans have lost their job my guess is this is going to become more common, not less. The more reason to forgo buying a soft top.

Thank you for your help. Keep safe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Sorry to hear that its a bummer and I feel you, I had the same happened to me years ago with my old TJ and it got me so angry, I was partly blaming myself but its a jeep and its more bound to happen cause they know its usually an easy shot. From that point on, I learned that the only best defense against theft is actually to leave everything openable and NOT locked and keep your valuables with you at all times.

I had other peeps get into it after the first time, and all they did is leave the compartments open and the rugs moved a bit etc from their rummaging, but they didn't take anything cause there was nothing and they didn't start chewing at anything to get to stuff (like the first time where they broke the glove compartment etc) cause this time it was all open and easy access and there was nothing of value in the jeep. They even pulled the floor rug corners in the front to see if I had my radio face-plate hidden there cause some people do that, but I had my face-plate with me. Granted it becomes more of an issue if you have upgrades a lot like CB radios etc that they could always try to pull out etc which is another reason I try to install things unless I can take them with me or take off when not offroading etc, but sometimes its hard. at on e point years ago, you even had to weld your off-road lights/Nuts to the plate once tightened cause peeps would steel them, crazy world.

but otherwise if you want you can install a few strong boxes, a number of brands exists but Tuffy is a well known one for example, they have a box that you can install in the console large storage and its pretty good and would keep away the typical Junky theft etc. But keep in mind also that its a known design, they may look for it or know how to quickly take the whole box out by breaking everything etc. I always go by the modus that if they want to steal it, they will always find a way, just have to make sure there is another one easier than mine or at least that they think so...;)

If you can have a custom box hidden somewhere they wouldnt think to search cause its not the usual spots people put them, then you have a good chance of keeping your box safe. Think of the old Pirates and treasures, their best bet was to be the only ones who would know where the Treasure chest is hidden, if people knew it existed and where, someone would find a way to get to it somehow and if they didn't succeed the first time, they could always come back...and we don't want that feeling either, so if no one knows its there but you, time is their worst enemy, searching for something they're not sure is there, is not very appealing for them....;)
Thanks friend! Really appreciate the response

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I like to have an NRA sticker in the window and leave an 'empty holster in plane view. Purely for the psychological effect. If nothing else they will be looking over their shoulder while pillaging.

Then again they better pray I don't walk up on them in the process. and show them some good old fashion justice.

My wife is a 30 year career nurse as well. Sorry the dirty low life bottom feeders invaded your Jeep.
That might work in Tx but I wouldn't advise keeping an empty holster in a car in NYC. Cops will gig you and the criminals will search harder to try and find the gun or ammo. NYC is practially another country when it comes to 2A issues.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Given that 36 million Americans have lost their job my guess is this is going to become more common, not less.
And states with strict gun control laws only ensure that criminals have easy access to firearms while law abiding citizens surrender their rights and accept becoming victims of criminal behavior.
NYC is practially another country when it comes to 2A issues.
Sad but true. Law abiding citizens with guns are considered criminals if they honor their constitutional right to bear arms. In effect, gun control laws criminalize the law abiding citizens and by proxy, put guns in the hands of criminals.

You don’t have to lose your uncle Ben to know that Peter Parker’s uncle was onto something with his saying about great power and great responsibility. Yes I quoted Spider-Man: deal with it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
And states with strict gun control laws only ensure that criminals have easy access to firearms while law abiding citizens surrender their rights and accept becoming victims of criminal behavior.
Sad but true. Law abiding citizens with guns are considered criminals if they honor their constitutional right to bear arms. In effect, gun control laws criminalize the law abiding citizens and by proxy, put guns in the hands of criminals.

You don’t have to lose your uncle Ben to know that Peter Parker’s uncle was onto something with his saying about great power and great responsibility. Yes I quoted Spider-Man: deal with it.
Yea Kevin it’s disgusting here sometimes when it comes to our pistols. This has never happened to me but I’ve heard sometimes the police dept. won’t send a renewal notice (expires every 3 years). Most people forget when the license expires.
Then one day they show up at your house and confiscate your guns because they’re now “illegal”.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Damn that's Fd Up..! Especially since your out here to help people. Just trust that carma will bite his a#$ good. You keep being the angel God intended you to be, and thank you for your service to the world, and my state. Actually you should send this post to Mario Cuomo's office, and the mayor of NY. The least they can do is have it fixed for you.
Send it to de Blasio. He will use it as an example of how your privilege allowed you to get a great new vehicle which in turn has victimized the poor, disadvantaged saints who did this and how we are bad people for stigmatizing then by using terms such as “criminal” which is a horribly racist term.

Sorry for the rant. Things in town have been trending back to the bad old 80s in terms of crime, street drugs, and homelessness and our elected politicians genuinely seem to be against law and order. There seems to be no desire to hold people accountable for their behavior. See the elimination of cash bail.

Sorry about your Jeep, that really sucks, especially when you’re in town
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But dĂ—mn...

Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

Anyone have good links to aftermarket gloveboxes or locking hood latches?

20200516_181218.jpg

20200516_181234.jpg

20200516_181355.jpg
Where do you park? I might have a parking spot in a secure valet garage you can use while you’re in town helping out. I sent you a PM too.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Yea Kevin it’s disgusting here sometimes when it comes to our pistols...one day they show up at your house and confiscate your guns because they’re now “illegal”.
:facepalm:

The world we live in is full of people, some with more money than sense who occupy positions of influential power. I feel for the law abiding citizens who have had what you describe happen to them. There’s wisdom in Benjamin Franklin’s words;

“Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

It’s no accident that the founding father’s drafted the second amendment into the constitution. Anyhow, I don’t want to derail this thread. What happened to Matthew really sucks but also serves to highlight greater, underlying societal problems that mask NYC.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is what happens when you cram 10 million people into an area the equivalent of a midsize farm.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
That might work in Tx but I wouldn't advise keeping an empty holster in a car in NYC. Cops will gig you and the criminals will search harder to try and find the gun or ammo. NYC is practially another country when it comes to 2A issues.
I suppose your right on that one. It stands to reason why the mass exodus of free minded folk and businesses that prefer to keep more of their own money and personal property to greener pastures / "countries".
As long as they don't take their bad voting habits with them and perpetuate the very situation they left behind. One can see the effects of that in the major cities in Texas, Austin has always been somewhat "mini California" and seems to be more so every day. Sad to say

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I am a new yorker and I appreciate everything you doing around here. It hurts extra seeing this happen to health workers. Especially someone that's out of town. Get one of those covers they have or use some dirty laundry to hide things. Never leave a bag in plain sight.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
That's amazing, thank you for the offer. I think I'm going to eat the cost and move on.. to be honest there's a good chance I would have snapped the handle off myself if I had tried to open it and forgot it was locked

You know which handles didn't break were the fold down seat handles on the rear seats. The theif folded down the seats and rummaged around, and im sure they weren't gentle. I hear those handles break for nothing!
My seat handle broke within the first week. I haven't even bothered to get it replaced after reading the story of someone who did and had the dealer hit the side of their Jeep with the seat and scratch/dent it.

I also have a soft top and while I don't live in a "high break in area" I have never locked my doors once. If someone wants the napkins or loose in change in my console they can have them. I've always wondered if someone has ever looked through them though.

I've been tempted to do like others have said and leave some money in an easy place so hopefully they find it quick and leave happy.
Sponsored