Wrangler vs Gladiator?

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Bit of a thread hijack. Anyone know where to order these emblems? My google skills are not up to snuff it appears.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? Capture.JPG

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
The biggest positive for the Gladiator is certain models can pull 6,000 lbs
So you can pull a nice R-Pod with a slide out and go RVing. Once you hit a spot you have a Jeep to explore in.
I can see that as a very useful option for someone like me when I downsize from my 43 ft Diesel Motorhome
for now I Will pull the Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? 21533101-A17A-4858-BF38-B2772E8144E1

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
When I was a ejs, I spoke with someone at jeep. They said hurricane in 2024 for gladiator. For what ever it's worth.
Iā€™m holding out for the ā€˜27 with Mr FusionšŸ˜. Seriously Iā€™d expect the I6 to replace the V6 in 24 or 25 across the board (newer engine design for better efficiency and ā€œcleanerā€ emissions .I love a V8 but they are going the way Iā€™d the DoDo bird. It going to be all small displacement turboā€™s in the IC field ere long.

Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Mojave JT
Iā€™m holding out for the ā€˜27 with Mr FusionšŸ˜. Seriously Iā€™d expect the I6 to replace the V6 in 24 or 25 across the board (newer engine design for better efficiency and ā€œcleanerā€ emissions .I love a V8 but they are going the way Iā€™d the DoDo bird. It going to be all small displacement turboā€™s in the IC field ere long.
Too true when a 2.5L forced induction can, and Is, easily putting out 800HP who needs 6.4L

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
For me, a JT is too long. The trails I go on are usually pretty tight, even for a JLU. There are also lots of drop offs that would be banging the bed of a JT all the time unless I spent money on a lift and at least 37 inch tires. I would also rather take out the rear seat and put a plate on the floor to keep my clothes and gear clean, as opposed to the bed of a truck, even with a shell. If I absolutely had to have a truck, I think I would go with a Power Wagon for the SFA and better engine. Might be a little tight in some spots, though.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just confirmed what I was thinking. Guptonā€™s currently shows 45 Gladiators, 25 4XEā€™s, and one JLU, either in stock or in transit. They sell a TON of Jeeps, so presumably they order what they are selling. šŸ˜. Note that not a single JL is on the list. (The also show 21 Wagoneers! They are listed completely separately from ā€œJeepsā€. Interestingā€¦ā€Premium brandā€ thingšŸ˜

Last edited:

GladiSD

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' AEV 392 JL370, 08' S2000 CR, 08' S2000, 99' SV
Occupation
Sure...
Down here in SoCalā€¦plenty of JTs on lots and very very few JLUs or JLs on any lots. The JTs no longer carry markups which is indicative of their sales.

I had a 22ā€™ Mojave JT which I drove all around 7 states and really got to know. Never loved it. It honestly was just too offensive to look at. The proportions will never look right to me and the engine was gutless in that platform. Sold it in March and it was only then I realized how much I didnā€™t miss it.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
No doubt the Gladiator is a fine vehicle. But good grief, that thing is as long as a locomotive.

Come on, FCA/Stellantis or whatever you're calling yourself this week, get a clue on pickups.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? j628japntb6gtle5ldc20li11oscg-1554675019

THIS is what a Jeep pickup should look like.

Heck, even this would be a good option.

sddefault.jpg

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
There is definitely a place and need for a Gladiator. But for me, they are just to long. As are some other pickup trucks.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon this afternoon. It was fully loaded.

The Jeep had only 19,000 miles but it looked like it had a hard life. The truck drove well and felt solid, but the undercarriage was filthy, the start button was missing, and the paint on all door hinges was chipped away. Otherwise the paint looked fine and the sheet-metal was straight. The MTs had half of their life left.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? 1658525963287

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? 1658525987335

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? 1658526984830

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? 1658526006256

My impressions:
  • Backing up and turning weren't as bad as I was expecting for such a long wheelbase. It felt easier to maneuver than my 2019 Tacoma
  • The rear of the truck bounces a lot compared to my Wrangler. My brother's GMC Canyon does the same. I believe it has to do with the combination of a long wheelbase and the stiffer springs needed back there. I don't recall feeling that bounce in my Tacoma, though.
  • Perhaps because I am used to the Mopar lift, the stock ride seemed "boring." I could definitely feel the MTs' treads
  • The pickup tracked straight on the freeway; way better than my lifted Wrangler
  • The engine felt sluggish compared to the V6 in my Wrangler. My understanding is that a JT Rubicon weighs 700 lbs more than a Sahara, while the engine and transmission are the exact same. That is a lot more weight to be lugging around
Bottom line: this is the first time I drive a Gladiator. I was expecting to be wowed; I wasn't.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I have a JLU and a JT. They are both great for their intended purposes. I have long term plans to turn the JT into a combo camping, overlanding, mild wheeling rig. I went with a Max tow specifically to get the highest payload and the 7650lb tow rating knowing I would eat up a good chunk in a cap, bumpers, winch and tires. That being said I really enjoy its street manners compared to the JLU even with the 35s on the JT. But I have the expectation management that itā€™s not for turny technical trails. Hell the JLU was making 4-5 point turns compared to the TJs 1-2 point turns. The JT could definitely benefit from some more power as it feels much less peppy.

My take on why you see so many is the pickup market is the hottest market currently. Our dealers are loaded but they never sit there long. I see more JTs than JLs on the road and only slightly less JTs than JLUs.

Chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom Unlimited
I have a JLU and a JT. They are both great for their intended purposes. I have long term plans to turn the JT into a combo camping, overlanding, mild wheeling rig. I went with a Max tow specifically to get the highest payload and the 7650lb tow rating knowing I would eat up a good chunk in a cap, bumpers, winch and tires. That being said I really enjoy its street manners compared to the JLU even with the 35s on the JT. But I have the expectation management that itā€™s not for turny technical trails. Hell the JLU was making 4-5 point turns compared to the TJs 1-2 point turns. The JT could definitely benefit from some more power as it feels much less peppy.

My take on why you see so many is the pickup market is the hottest market currently. Our dealers are loaded but they never sit there long. I see more JTs than JLs on the road and only slightly less JTs than JLUs.
Cemetery agree, we also have a JLU and a JT Max Tow. The JT we take off road often....and yes as others have said it's longer, but you get really good at 3,4,5 point turns.
Sponsored