Wrangler vs gladiator

IDjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport and 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Alright I want to get opinions here as I am struggling between waiting for the gladiator vs getting the JLU wrangler. Besides the unknown price differences and the obvious differences, Why should I get a wrangler instead of a Gladiator? I currently own a 2017 2 door jk and a Toyota Highlander. Family of 4 and 1 dog. We will be consolidating to a single car house hold with this purchase. We enjoy outside activities including skiing, biking, SUP (inflatable) and more or less 4x4ing to get to places to explore or a starting point for other adventures. Minimal commuter driving (less than 40 miles a week total). So why should I get the Wrangler and not wait for the gladiator? (I will be asking the opposite question on the gladiator forum). Thanks for your help in this decision process.
Sponsored

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
I say go for it the gladiator to me looks huge great for nice size family. Plenty of room to grow and it’s got a bed to haul your activities in. Folding rear seats down can be annoying in JL if you haul a lot.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would guess it would come down to if you would rather have a truck bed or a lockable trunk space (if you get a hardtop or install a security enclosure). If you think you need a truck bed, would an occasional utility trailer work with a JLU be enough? I don't think one has more passenger space vs the other one. Gladiator will be longer/more difficult to maneuver.

frajnai

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2011 Mustang GT
Alright I want to get opinions here as I am struggling between waiting for the gladiator vs getting the JLU wrangler. Besides the unknown price differences and the obvious differences,
I would imagine it wont be long before you can get a nice cap for the truckbed, then you kind of have an extended Wrangler which will be the best of both worlds in a way.

Sponsored

OP
OP

IDjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport and 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your kids will appreciate the wrangler if you toss the dog in the back. Otherwise, dog butt in the face while he sits in the back seat gets old real quick, and dogs shouldn’t go in the bed of a truck.
The dog for long trips would go in the bed within a strapped down kennel. Which makes me worry about space in the wrangler for a road trip with the family + dog....

I do worry a bit about turning radius. It is so nice with my jk up in the mountains or even in a parking lot. I may have to get better at three point turns or just drifting around curves with the e brake (saw a recent video of someone doing that down Black Bears Pass—crazy but cool)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Wrangler is going to be cheaper with a shorter wheelbase and more interior cargo space. It is lighter so probably better gas mileage.

The Gladiator is long and I think it is going to be almost like a full-size truck in terms of maneuverability, parking, etc.

Soft top only goes to the Sunrider position in the Gladiator. Manual transmission towing numbers aren't much different between a Wrangler and the Gladiator.

Those are the advantages of the Wrangler from my perspective.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'd say, based on your description, that the Wrangler with a roof rack is your play.

Assuming you've made the decision that Wrangler/Gladiator are your only options, consider that barring a roof rack or trailer, you might find the ability to pack for 4.5 in its interior somewhat space limited in even the four door Wrangler. I say this especially in light of the 1 vehicle ownership direction you're heading towards, and the Toyota Highlander's current ownership, complete with the larger interior space it offers over the 4 door Wrangler. This is not to oppose @ThirtyOne 's facts that the Wrangler has more interior cargo space (it certainly does) than the Gladiator, but the Gladiator I suspect has more cargo space in total, especially with the available bed cover that would protect gear from the elements (if not temperature) or a vaporware cab cover, like Leer makes for other pickup trucks.

I agree with @frajnai that it's likely that someone will make a cab cover for the Gladiator, but for me, the issue is "how soon and at what price." Consider that there's still plenty of gear that hasn't yet been made for the JL, with a relatively maturer and broader market than the yet to be released Gladiator might ever achieve.

Also consider that the aftermarket for the Gladiator *may* not be as strong, as vendors have to consider sales quantity projections: Gladiator rigs sold being a surrogate for that . I'm not saying the Gladiator won't sell well--but it's bound to be quite pricey, which may, for potential buyers, regrettably find them choosing another vehicle option versus taking out a 2nd mortgage to afford its cost. Even selling remarkably well, it's not bound to reach Wrangler sales, nor does FCA expect it will, and with that, likely to provide more of a niche aftermarket, slower to come to market, than the Wrangler.

I imagine with ingenuity, or patience for the market to make one, some rigid form of Gladiator cargo cover that provides "two levels" of storage might be possible, and there's always cargo netting.

I can't speak to things you didn't mention like other family drivers, or how rigid you are at buying from the Jeep Brand, but if these things are negotiable, maybe (gasp) you'd also consider looking outside this space in exchange for the opportunity to own two vehicles.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'd recommend the JLU, either The "R" or Sport S--

If you spend 90% of your time on the Freeway if your off-road plans are for BLM roads and campgrounds--GLADIATOR-

Good luck

JIMBO

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
You buy a jeep becuase its a jeep, if you want a truck, get a RAM. ( From a gut feeling, this is jeeps first truck in 30 years, and history states to never buy the first edition of anything). my 2 cents.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Frankly, I'd get a fullsize truck/SUV. Four people, a dog, and all their outdoor gear is too much stuff for a midsize anything. We take my wife's AWD Sienna on similar trips, and we load that thing up (including a rooftop cargo carrier). A midsize pickup or SUV is probably way too small.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
One of the reasons for my comments in #10---is I also have a RAM 1500 and the new GLADIATOR is ALMOST the same wheel base--

My RAM 1500 (STINGER YELLOW) RAM is pure HEAVEN ON THE FREEWAY and I have a JEEP !

W.E.

JIMBO

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Family of 4? Get a Wrangler, or better yet, keep the one you have, and buy a real pickup. Dont get the Gladiator, because it is new, and a crossover vehicle. If you only have one vehicle, what are you to do, when your First Year Gladiator breaks down?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The dog for long trips would go in the bed within a strapped down kennel. Which makes me worry about space in the wrangler for a road trip with the family + dog....

I do worry a bit about turning radius. It is so nice with my jk up in the mountains or even in a parking lot. I may have to get better at three point turns or just drifting around curves with the e brake (saw a recent video of someone doing that down Black Bears Pass—crazy but cool)
You should get a roof rack.
Sponsored