Sponsored

Wrangler vs Gladiator?

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 392, 21 BMW M2 competition, 11 Subaru STi
I'm another forum member who drives a Gladiator (Mojave). Joined the forum for that sweet member classified section and to research 392 ownership.
Girlfriend has a JL Sport, so have spent a ton of time driving both.

Regarding sales figures; the folks who said competition kills the Gladiator are spot on. Price wise I absolutely could have gotten a nice F-150 or Tundra. If I had kids I probably would have done that. But I don't so F it, I wanted something fun.

The real competitor when I was shopping was the Colorado ZR2. The suspension on those are fantastic. But Jeep sold me on taking the roof off + manual trans. I could care less about the solid front axle. I know that's a selling point for many, but I'd prefer independent front.

The Gladiator is a compromise in many ways. To get a truck bed (which I wanted as a home owner) I'm getting a slow as shit Jeep. Girlfriend's Wrangler with the same engine & trans feels like a rocket by comparison - you can tell this engine was built for the 4 door wrangler (which makes it wonderful in the 2 door).
To get all the fun Jeep stuff, compared to a truck of comparable price (1/2 tons) I was giving up things like a smoother on road ride, more towing capacity I don't need, longer bed I don't need, larger seats for fatter asses I don't need lol etc.

Really the only thing I don't like about my Gladiator is the power. The V6 is such a dog in it. It's got 1,000 lbs on the Wrangler 2 door and you feel it. Test drove a 392 and god I wish they would make a Gladiator 392. But not sure I'd want to give up my little bed - it's so nice for picking up stuff for the garden, helping friends move, little projects, etc.

Picture tax of our 2 Jeeps:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? IMG_0586
Sponsored

Lumis Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 JTR
I owned a 2020 gladiator for 2 1/2 years. Loved it. Sold it to order a fully loaded gladiator with i6 twin turbo in 2024. Wife has wrangler. I prefer driving the gladiator. We just ordered 392 xr in the meantime. :)

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Wife has a 21 JLURD, but I do love my 22 JTRD .... although it's in buyback status, I plan to order another....

It's enough of both worlds to do what I need.... and with a good driver a JT can keep up with a JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler vs Gladiator? Screenshot_20220606-144514_Photos

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
LOL not sure where some of live, but I have done a NATIONWIDE search for a 22 JL Rubicon that is loaded. What I see is the Glads are at PREMO price and they barely have any if at all. Now if you want a JLU, they are stacked up like pancakes. Most dealers seem to think a $50k Rubicon is loaded! NOT!!! I have searched Jeep from Fl to Or and Manie to Cal

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I owned a 2020 gladiator for 2 1/2 years. Loved it. Sold it to order a fully loaded gladiator with i6 twin turbo in 2024. Wife has wrangler. I prefer driving the gladiator. We just ordered 392 xr in the meantime. :)
Hold up what's this now about a Straight 6 twin turbo Gladiator? Is that for real?

I've been seriously considering a 392 Wrangler to replace my Mojave because the power is so lack luster.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Mojave JT
Hold up what's this now about a Straight 6 twin turbo Gladiator? Is that for real?

I've been seriously considering a 392 Wrangler to replace my Mojave because the power is so lack luster.
We are all holding our breath

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are all holding our breath
I'd be all over that, doubly so for a manual but at this point an auto would be fine to get the power.

I'd also be interested in a 4xe Gladiator, though obviously a forced induction 6 would be more exciting.

Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Mojave JT
I'd be all over that, doubly so for a manual but at this point an auto would be fine to get the power.

I'd also be interested in a 4xe Gladiator, though obviously a forced induction 6 would be more exciting.
I think we would have already had more power options in the gladiator by now if it wasn’t for the administrative policies.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we would have already had more power options in the gladiator by now if it wasn’t for the administrative policies.
We'd have more power options if it were a hotter seller imo

The accountants at Stellantis likely aren't seeing the return on investment for adding a 3rd engine option in their revenue models

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I only like the Gladiator with a lift and big tires. Was at the dealer this morning for an oil change and they had 2 AEV Gladiator's on the lot and they were nice, really really like how they look. With that said I really don't like looks of the Gladiator with the roof and doors off.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Same around here, every dealership I go by has Gladiators and usually no new Wranglers, but between 3 to 6 or 7 used ones. Funny thing is I rarely see a Gladiator with the top or doors off. I personally love the Gladiator, and it was my first choice. But 3 things sent me over to the Wrangler. 1. Price, a base Gladiator was almost as much as my Wrangler sport Willys. 2. I refuse to drive the gutless V6, and I don't want a diesel. Until they expand the engine options I will not look at one. 3. The wife doesn't like them, even though I would have got one anyway if not for the above mentioned.

If they expand the engine options, one day maybe.

And yes they do need lifted, although I do love the Mojave.

Lumis Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 JTR

When I was a ejs, I spoke with someone at jeep. They said hurricane in 2024 for gladiator. For what ever it's worth.
Sponsored