OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
You had another issue then. The USB ports in the JL power down after an hour even if a device is connected.
Yes I did have another issue and I just didn't want to go through the BS
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I would go with one of the other brands that are more commonly used by those on this forum - CPlay2Air or CarLinkit.

I have one of the original design CarLinkit adapters and it works perfectly. All CarPlay functions work and the sound is no different than when plugging in or streaming normally via bluetooth.
I got the CarLinkit 2.0 (usb-c version) today and it's done nothing but constantly reboot, flake out, and ultimately cause CarPlay to go completely insane on the uConnect even with a hardwire connection now. Hoping that at least clears up after Jeep sits overnight. It was cool when it worked, but it won't stay online for more than about 10 minutes before it reboots itself.

I am trying to update the FW with no luck, but if it doesn't improve I'll be sending mine back.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I had the same issue with that crappy device kept rebooting so I pulled the plug and through it away. I have no time for that S%$t! I now just plug it in Like I used to with the apple plug... Done!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I got the CarLinkit 2.0 (usb-c version) today and it's done nothing but constantly reboot, flake out, and ultimately cause CarPlay to go completely insane on the uConnect even with a hardwire connection now. Hoping that at least clears up after Jeep sits overnight. It was cool when it worked, but it won't stay online for more than about 10 minutes before it reboots itself.

I am trying to update the FW with no luck, but if it doesn't improve I'll be sending mine back.
I had the same issue with that crappy device kept rebooting so I pulled the plug and through it away. I have no time for that S%$t! I now just plug it in Like I used to with the apple plug... Done!
I have this one and have zero issues and also have the latest iOS update https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08767RQDB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_A21Q1X8BAVZR9ZCBHD49?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing I did per there suggestion was removed any possible BT conflict while in the vehicle so I had my phone originally paired with Uconnect but removed the paired connection and just paired it with the Carliknit 2.0 and so far after just a few months it’s been solid.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have this one and have zero issues and also have the latest iOS update https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08767RQDB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_A21Q1X8BAVZR9ZCBHD49?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing I did per there suggestion was removed any possible BT conflict while in the vehicle so I had my phone originally paired with Uconnect but removed the paired connection and just paired it with the Carliknit 2.0 and so far after just a few months it’s been solid.
That's what I have and mine, at least, is total garbage. Maybe I'll try a second one but this first one hasn't impressed me at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
That's what I have and mine, at least, is total garbage. Maybe I'll try a second one but this first one hasn't impressed me at all.
It also tends to drain the battery because it's always connected via the USB

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I have this one and it seems to be working good so far. Takes about 5-8 seconds to boot-up after I start the engine. Still maintain factory (wired) sound which was my major concern. The only small issue (first-world problem) is it takes 1-2 seconds to skip to the next song instead of instantly like with a wired connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MT96H2D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another kinda non-related issue I have is the center console connection cuts off (CarPlay) after about 20 minutes. The one below the radio works fine. Haven't checked the ones in the rear passenger space. Has it been confirmed that the center-console is "only" for charging?

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I thought it was confirmed the USB power cuts off after 1 hour?
It depends on who u ask. The manuel says it shuts off after an hour. However my battery died and was replaced by dealer. He said absolutely the USB does not turn off and i'm not going to gamble I returned it to Amazon. It's a pain

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It depends on who u ask. The manuel says it shuts off after an hour. However my battery died and was replaced by dealer. He said absolutely the USB does not turn off and i'm not going to gamble I returned it to Amazon. It's a pain
Even an hour is bad, IMO.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It also tends to drain the battery because it's always connected via the USB
It does not. The USB ports in the JL power down after 1 hour. It's been discussed here before and is in the owner manual.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The minimal amount of power wireless Carplay draws after shutting down will have no effect on the battery and as discussed after 60 mins the USB ports power down.

I would suggest to anyone consider going to wireless CarPlay to not upgrade the FW unless it causes issues after connecting and also don’t pair your phone with Uconnect as I believe it possibly can cause a conflict.

The only issue if you want to call it an issue is when I get into my JL and it connects and always has so far is I use Apple Music and lots of times it does not automatically start playing but a simple touch of play on the screen it goes on its merry way.

The convenience of not having to plug it in is worth the occasional glitches but as fas as it locking up or not connecting I have never had any issues and it resides tucked away in my center console.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do a FW update as soon as you got it ? If so they dont recommend doing that unless your having issues also try removing the pairing between your phone and Uconnect if it’s paired
Sponsored