1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
As I understand it, the black plugs go into the vent openings. But, what's the deal with the long black strip you have on top of it? Is that something you bought or made?
There is no long black strip - I used 11 plugs in every other hole. Just looks that way.
Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I will be trying this when the '21 FINALLY comes in. My '12 works very well as is.
If Jeep doesnā€™t correct this in the 2023 mid cycle refresh I am completely giving up on the wrangler and Iā€™m going to keep my 1997 jeep TJ as long as I can

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I believe the fault is the number of vents going across. There's too many so the flow gets less and less- these caps close some off so it helps to push the air through to the end. It's like blowing air through a straw and then blowing air through 30 straws!
agree! also the fault lies with the engineers. ,quality control and drinking the wrong beer with the FCA crowd.

Horsemover

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / 1997 TJ 4.0
With the weather we have been having couldnā€™t order these fast enough. Thanks for sharing.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

AliAwad

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2019
Itā€™s working very good Jeep needs to see us and learn more šŸ˜

4246C553-AFE8-40D6-A914-7E0EEBAD7994.jpeg

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
How many of these are needed to feed my OCD and keep even, I have not honestly looked and counted, not that I would benefit from them often here in south Texas but donā€™t plan on getting rid of the Jeep but donā€™t plan on staying here when I retire in a few years

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
Are you missing a button? My dash has the defrost button right next to the stereo volume. I am missing the heated seats and steering wheel buttons.... :(
Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield Defroster Fix 4246C553-AFE8-40D6-A914-7E0EEBAD7994
Well, yes you can use this to deflect all the air to the defrost. Can also do this on the 8.4ā€ screen but when the temps start hitting -25*C and colder (it was -39*C here last week), it just doesnā€™t cut it and your feet start to get a bit cool!

Another tip that I have used for years is to run the heater in AC mode with heat on running the pump taking moisture out of the air. Older vehicles used to have this happen automatically when defrost mode was selected.

Plugs ordered and installed! Works better now.

I have a 2019 super duty at work and it was an issue keeping the cab warm last week. Winterfront helped but heater not as good as the Wrangler!!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine today and put them in.... trying something different... left the 2 middle ones openthen working my way to the side, blocked 3 then 4 open, blocked 3, then 4 open, blocked 2 then the last four open.... will see how this performs.... if not...I will go with every other one blocked.... but I did notice a difference in air volume at the ends....
16139319624388161746177937170582.jpg

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Having just recently endured the long texas winter of 8 days, I can attest to the shiftiness of the JL defroster. I thought the speakers were the problem.

I'll be ordering these so I can endure the next major winter storm in texas in 2033.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've recently attended to the defroster fix, using the 5/8" plugs frequently pictured in this thread.

Wanting to experiment a bit, I installed the original set of 8 plugs whilst the vehicle was in the garage. I carried the second set with me, intending to pull over whilst the defroster was warm and running, putting the additional plugs in place to further refine the airflow. I did just that. However,...

When inserting the 9th and 10th plugs, etc., they didn't seat correctly as the original 8 did. Rather, the new ones began to fall through the square defroster vent holes. I immediately stopped the installation, allowing them to stay cockeyed and stuck, and carefully extracted them when I arrived back home.

I'd posit that the heated air (the temperature knob was turned fully to the right) was sufficient to allow flex in the plastic vent openings. By extension, the action of pressing the plugs in place was concurrently sufficient to disallow proper seating of the plugs, now that said flex was introduced into the equation.

So...take proper care here, in the event that any of you experience something similar. I hesitate to think about the difficulty of retrieving a plug that fell down into the defroster duct.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I've recently attended to the defroster fix, using the 5/8" plugs frequently pictured in this thread.

Wanting to experiment a bit, I installed the original set of 8 plugs whilst the vehicle was in the garage. I carried the second set with me, intending to pull over whilst the defroster was warm and running, putting the additional plugs in place to further refine the airflow. I did just that. However,...

When inserting the 9th and 10th plugs, etc., they didn't seat correctly as the original 8 did. Rather, the new ones began to fall through the square defroster vent holes. I immediately stopped the installation, allowing them to stay cockeyed and stuck, and carefully extracted them when I arrived back home.

I'd posit that the heated air (the temperature knob was turned fully to the right) was sufficient to allow flex in the plastic vent openings. By extension, the action of pressing the plugs in place was concurrently sufficient to disallow proper seating of the plugs, now that said flex was introduced into the equation.

So...take proper care here, in the event that any of you experience something similar. I hesitate to think about the difficulty of retrieving a plug that fell down into the defroster duct.
Installing mine, I went through the same thing with a few of them.... but I found that turning them a quarter turn to the right or left, they fit snuggly.... could try that also... but yes, you're right... one would be very difficult to retrieve if one fell in.... and also I found that you had to insert them pushing down flat and not at an angle or they would not seat in right.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
And it works well!!!!! Heat is getting to the sides of the window now keeping ice at bay!
Sponsored