Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I’ve seen this before. Why?

The only practical reason I can think of is safety related; if something breaks while pulling in reverse it would fly straight toward you front m in front through the front windshield vs pulling while in forward gear a component would fly toward you from behind, less likely to strike the driver. Is there another reason?
the reason I was given (back when i first started off roading) was you could bend/ chip/ damage a ring gear. I don't know if this was specific to the late model TJ axles, but it had something to do with the way the gears were cut. They weren't as strong when you were loading them up with extra forces in Reverse.

Advertisement

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Also: Use a tow strap or kinetic rope to pull someone. Don't ever spool out a winch and use it like a tow strap. Can damage the internals of the winch.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
I’ve seen this before. Why?

The only practical reason I can think of is safety related; if something breaks while pulling in reverse it would fly straight toward you front m in front through the front windshield vs pulling while in forward gear a component would fly toward you from behind, less likely to strike the driver. Is there another reason?
That can happen forward or reverse.

The bigger reason is you are applying load to the reverse side of the gears in the axles, applying a larger amount of load to the front axle and typically 1st gear forward is stronger than the reverse gear in the transmission.

Also: Use a tow strap or kinetic rope to pull someone. Don't ever spool out a winch and use it like a tow strap. Can damage the internals of the winch.
Great point @RubiSc0tt! Using the winch as a tug strap is applying loads that the winch was never designed for.

Notes on using a tow strap, a tow strap is used for towing, not yanking or tugging, just towing.

A kinetic rope or recovery strap is used for yanking or tugging.

Chocolate Thunder

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks guys. I’d have thought that reverse gear was stronger than 1st forward gear. I always learn something new here.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread.
Question from noob.
I bought the Quadratec Stealth 10K with synthetic rope. The manual was very poor for a novice and suggested "Setting the winch".
I went to a flat lot with a tree, tree saver and shackles to the tree, Jeep JLUR in N, Then pulled the Jeep to the tree 70%. I got out and the spool was only wrapping on one side.

Thoughts?

Chocolate Thunder

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Great thread.
Question from noob.
I bought the Quadratec Stealth 10K with synthetic rope. The manual was very poor for a novice and suggested "Setting the winch".
I went to a flat lot with a tree, tree saver and shackles to the tree, Jeep JLUR in N, Then pulled the Jeep to the tree 70%. I got out and the spool was only wrapping on one side.

Thoughts?
You need to do the same thing that you did, but guide the line onto the spool evenly in layers by hand (gloved) as it’s pulled onto the drum. Someone posted a video of this somewhere on the forum.

OP
ECHO

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Great thread.
Question from noob.

Thoughts?
Sounds Like your ready to roll!!!

JROOO

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Kinda a 101 topic: What is the consensus for helping random people?

Today I winched some kid who took his dad’s 2wd Silverado in the mountains alone. I couldn’t leave him there so I winched him out of the mud, then called him a dumb ass. After driving away I was thinking about the liability if I damaged his truck or worse harmed the kid.

Advertisement

Icon Vehicle Dynamics

Advertisement