Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper

Winch inside vs outside bumper

• Total voters

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I'm getting close to buying a front bumper for my JLURXR. I'm taking a hard look at the LOD signature and destroyer stubby's and the rage 4th. I'd like to hear opinions on winch mounting on top of the bumper vs inside the bumper. The way I see it, an inside mounting looks cleaner but sticks out further. I also have the forward facing camera and it would be nice to still be able to use it. I also like the idea of mounting a lightbar to the bumper but it isn't a requirement.
Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Inside, doesn't restrict air flow to radiator as much as on top. I have Warn Elite bumper and think it looks great as well as functional.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper 20210928_134838
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper 20210928_134844

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
My vote is inside. Looks cleaner, less likely to impede airflow (theoretically anyway. I can’t say that it’s actually a problem). Not sure that they actually stick out further. The factory Rubicon bumper mounts the winch inside and it doesn’t seem to protrude any more or less than most.

The downside to mounting on the inside would be trying to keep everything clean. Especially if you run in the mud.

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm another vote for inside.

I have the MOPAR steel bumper in stubby configuration.

Keeps the airflow to the rad clear, is a nice clean look and adds some sun protection for my synthetic line.

20210712_154844-01.jpeg

Sponsored

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Inside but I've always thought it was easier to get to if it were up top more to some degree. Love that WARN Elite bumper, exactly the one I'm eye-balling too, along with the ARB and a few others. I think full bumpers make the most sense for a number of reasons.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Inside, doesn't restrict air flow to radiator as much as on top. I have Warn Elite bumper and think it looks great as well as functional.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper 20211211_105114
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper 20211211_105114
Where about in NM are you, I've got family in ABQ and love it out there. I'd move in a second if I could lock down a good job there

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I'm getting close to buying a front bumper for my JLURXR. I'm taking a hard look at the LOD signature and destroyer stubby's and the rage 4th. I'd like to hear opinions on winch mounting on top of the bumper vs inside the bumper. The way I see it, an inside mounting looks cleaner but sticks out further. I also have the forward facing camera and it would be nice to still be able to use it. I also like the idea of mounting a lightbar to the bumper but it isn't a requirement.
I have a Warn winch mounted inside my factory steel bumper and love it. I was told by the shop that installed the winch that due to a spacer needed to mount the winch plate my bumper would "stick out" at most a 1/4". I also have the front camera and a short light bar/winch protector that does not impede the view from the camera. Before I installed the short one, a friend of mine had mid-sized one he just held in place and it barely impeded the view.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Outside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper Front Bumper and Winch

The airflow issue is a non-issue and it's much easier to keep clean, service, remove.

Sponsored

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Had it on top on my YJ... I like it much better inside on my JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper Jeep front bumper winch.JPG

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
If you have a diesel motor it is 100% absolutely a real issue. If you don’t have a diesel, it’s a small issue. For the diesels there have been multiple reported high temp issues and in every scenario there was a big ol’ winch sitting in front. For the non-diesels it’s not nearly as big of an issue unless you’re in a very warm climate and the engine is working hard for a while.

My vote is inside!

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Either way works and both have a few pros and cons. Inside the bumper is a more clean modern look that also helps keep the winch semi protected from the elements. Unfortunately it is also harder to spoon line onto in neat rows which is especially important if you are using steel cable as often time it is difficult to see the winch line on the drum.

On top of the bumper is more a farm tool, industrial, military look. It exposes the winch completely to the elements but is easier to maintain and spool steel or synthetic line onto in neat rows.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Inside got my vote too!

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch mounting on top vs inside bumper IMG_0772.JPG
Sponsored