Sponsored

LOD signature bumper, install winch to plate before or after mounting bumper?

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
Wonder if anyone’s done one of these and has some input. Seems I can lower winch onto the plate after attaching the bumper itself, but maybe it’s easier to attach winch to plate before the bumper? Anyone have some tips?
It’s my first time doing a Jeep bumper, I have done a lot more of this work on Land Cruisers and trucks.
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's way easier to tighten the bumper / frame bolts with the winch not in there. It can be tight getting the winch to slide in depending on which winch you have. I tried installing the winch first, but I couldn't get enough room to install the bolts so off came the winch.
Jeep Wrangler JL LOD signature bumper, install winch to plate before or after mounting bumper? 20201205_101500

OP
OP
diamondschwin

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
It's way easier to tighten the bumper / frame bolts with the winch not in there. It can be tight getting the winch to slide in depending on which winch you have. I tried installing the winch first, but I couldn't get enough room to install the bolts so off came the winch.
Jeep Wrangler JL LOD signature bumper, install winch to plate before or after mounting bumper? 20201205_101500
Thanks, that’s what I was thinking. I am putting in a Smittybilt x20 10k, which I think is a bit smaller than your Badlands but I doubt it’ll make that much room for accessing the inside bolts.

slick looking rig you have there.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Older thread but FWIW I installed LOD bumper first then the winch. By far the hardest part was getting the nuts tight inside the bumper for the winch fairlead.
Were I to do it again I would have mounted tge fairlead to the bumper before I dropped the winch in and bolted it down.
Sponsored