Bumper for winch: in-bumper vs on-bumper winch mount

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my JLUR and so I've started shopping for the mods I'd like to perform. Knowing I intended to go aftermarket, I did not add the steel bumper option. As I've been window-shopping (and reading everything I can about the different bumper options), one of the things I've noticed is some bumpers mount the winch in the bumper (lower center of gravity I suppose) and some mount the winch on top. I don't plan on getting a winch right away, but I intend to have one in the future, so my bumper needs to be winch capable.

What are the pros/cons of in-bumper winch mounting locations vs mounting the winch on top of the bumper? Certainly in-bumper carries the weight lower and is a cleaner look, but what are the advantages of mounting the winch on top? Easier service? Easier to mount/change?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
-Mike
Sponsored

LeoD

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Real Estate Sales
HI Mike,

I'm in the early stages of bumper / winch decisions as well. From what I can tell from a functional view, the more stuff (winch, lights, etc) you put in front of the grill, the less air flow to the radiator.

The in-bumper winch mounts look much better in my opinion and look like the offer more protection from the elements and theft. I'd love to hear from others with practical experience too.

Leo

DocJLU

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my JLUR and so I've started shopping for the mods I'd like to perform. Knowing I intended to go aftermarket, I did not add the steel bumper option. As I've been window-shopping (and reading everything I can about the different bumper options), one of the things I've noticed is some bumpers mount the winch in the bumper (lower center of gravity I suppose) and some mount the winch on top. I don't plan on getting a winch right away, but I intend to have one in the future, so my bumper needs to be winch capable.

What are the pros/cons of in-bumper winch mounting locations vs mounting the winch on top of the bumper? Certainly in-bumper carries the weight lower and is a cleaner look, but what are the advantages of mounting the winch on top? Easier service? Easier to mount/change?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
-Mike
Different bumpers mount at different heights as well. This can have an impact on your approach angle. Additionally, the width of the bumper has an impact on uses. Stubby bumpers allow for certain advantages and disadvantages while off road and full size will offer the added protection.

Mount height will determine winch height, in bumper mounting will offer some protection for the winch as well. It all depends on what look you want as well as how you want to use it.

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Different bumpers mount at different heights as well. This can have an impact on your approach angle. Additionally, the width of the bumper has an impact on uses. Stubby bumpers allow for certain advantages and disadvantages while off road and full size will offer the added protection.

Mount height will determine winch height, in bumper mounting will offer some protection for the winch as well. It all depends on what look you want as well as how you want to use it.
Thanks for the reply! I’m currently looking at a mid-width bumper (not quite sure I want to go full stubby, but I know I don’t want to go full width). If I read between the lines of what you’re saying, it’s that it doesn’t really matter as long as I’m not killing approach angles and there is adequate winch protection (like a hoop). Am I reading you right?

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
HI Mike,

I'm in the early stages of bumper / winch decisions as well. From what I can tell from a functional view, the more stuff (winch, lights, etc) you put in front of the grill, the less air flow to the radiator.

The in-bumper winch mounts look much better in my opinion and look like the offer more protection from the elements and theft. I'd love to hear from others with practical experience too.

Leo
I’m a little worried about radiator flow as well. I’m the other hand, the most strenuous activities will be at low speed, so it shouldn’t be relying on aerodynamic flow, right? Just ambient draw?

I hear you on theft. That makes sense.

Sponsored

DocJLU

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a little worried about radiator flow as well. I’m the other hand, the most strenuous activities will be at low speed, so it shouldn’t be relying on aerodynamic flow, right? Just ambient draw?

I hear you on theft. That makes sense.
There are a few companies that sell anti-theft winch bolts that can take care of that. Most bumpers can have a winch installed or removed while it is still mounted.

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are a few companies that sell anti-theft winch bolts that can take care of that. Most bumpers can have a winch installed or removed while it is still mounted.
Great! Any pointers on those bolts? I’m looking at the LOD bumpers and the in-bumper mounted (the Signature) appears that I'd need to remove the bumper to mount the winch. Not the end of the world, but it would make life easier to not have to remove and re-install.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Great! Any pointers on those bolts? I’m looking at the LOD bumpers and the in-bumper mounted (the Signature) appears that I'd need to remove the bumper to mount the winch. Not the end of the world, but it would make life easier to not have to remove and re-install.
Simple solution...have the winch ready to install when your bumper arrives.

I just ordered the LoD signatures Series shorty. I'll m post pictures and a write up when I inatall it.

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'll look forward to the pictures! I'm not quite ready to buy the winch, but maybe I'll wait for the bumpers until I am.

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
One thing to keep in mind is that it is hard to find a recessed winch bumper that still allows you to keep the factory fog lights. I have been looking around and besides LOD, there are slim to none out so far.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
One thing to keep in mind is that it is hard to find a recessed winch bumper that still allows you to keep the factory fog lights. I have been looking around and besides LOD, there are slim to none out so far.
Yep. It's a good point. That's one of the things that's attracting me to LOD.

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
255DF3FC-5895-409B-9C19-6B0C885A8281.jpeg
I put the Rock Hard Aluminum Bumper on my JL. This is the second Jeep I have had their product on. Very happy with it. As an extra It accepts Tow bar connections, so I don’t have to add anything to tow behind my motorhome. Stock LED lights fit as well.

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
255DF3FC-5895-409B-9C19-6B0C885A8281.jpeg

I put the Rock Hard Aluminum Bumper on my JL. This is the second Jeep I have had their product on. Very happy with it. As an extra It accepts Tow bar connections, so I don’t have to add anything to tow behind my motorhome. Stock LED lights fit as well.
Looks great! I forgot to mention I was talking about stubby bumpers that keep the fogs.

DocJLU

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Factor 55 has a nice locking bolt. https://factor55.com/product/winch-lock/