Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve used wire come alongs on job sites before. There’s a safety trick some may not know for guys with wire setups, they say if the wire has a lot of tension and you’re afraid it might snap and shoot back towards you or your Jeep, hang a blanket on the wire. If the wire let’s go the blanket will absorb all of that force.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve used wire come alongs on job sites before. There’s a safety trick some may not know for guys with wire setups, they say if the wire has a lot of tension and you’re afraid it might snap and shoot back towards you or your Jeep, hang a blanket on the wire. If the wire let’s go the blanket will absorb all of that force.
Roger that, Steve. That’s a common practice with winches too.

How are things in The Bronx/NYC? I worry about you, brother.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Roger that, Steve. That’s a common practice with winches too.

How are things in The Bronx/NYC? I worry about you, brother.
Hi Jeff, where I live it’s ok and quiet.
People in the urban areas that don’t want cops are getting their wish. Not much police participation. Of course the murder rates in those areas are booming.
Be careful what you wish for.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jeff, where I live it’s ok and quiet.
People in the urban areas that don’t want cops are getting their wish. Not much police participation. Of course the murder rates in those areas are booming.
Be careful what you wish for.
Stay safe, brother.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Good people, I reinstalled the two bars as strongly advised. I did not have to pull line to get them back on. Again, thanks!

Note to self: do more research first, and don’t drink Southern Comfort while wrenching on my Jeep ;)

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
This should work for any winch. I have a Badland ZXR 12000 pound winch. I decided to replace the steel cable with synthetic - 20,000+-rated, half inch in diameter - WAY over-rated for capacity of this winch.

I easily removed all of the bars above the winch spindle, so there are no capacity limitations. I took the solenoid box from the mount on the winch and mounted it on the bully bar. This eliminated the restrictions to winch capacity. I simply opened up the solenoid box, drilled through it into the bully bar, and mounted it with larger diameter sheet metal screws. It is solid. I moisture-sealed all entries into the solenoid box.

I was able to increase winch line capacity dramatically. This should work for all winches. With too much SoCo in my veins, anyone should be able to do this ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mod 508E16B6-DF47-4740-B3B4-34A2D298716F
it looks like it will do more than it supposed to , it really looks great

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
it looks like it will do more than it supposed to , it really looks great
Kluk, thank you brother. In case you didn’t read past my first post, it was gently pointed out to me that I was an idiot for removing the two top bars, which would cause the winch to fly apart in pieces under load. I reinstalled those two bars.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is interested, here is the link to the rope I purchased on Amazon. It comes in two colors, various lengths, and two diameters.

Clearly 82’ of 0.5” rope fits the Badland ZXR 12000 lb winch - barely. With the tensioner bar removed - which is useless in my opinion - the rope does not bind under the two structural bars.

The rope is rated at 25300 pounds. Assuming that is incorrect and it’s less in pragmatic applications, I feel it will probably still exceed the winch capacity for pull, and hopefully will last longer, safely.

If I screwed up this choice too, please hit me with it!

Brian1022

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Liberty (formerly), 2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
The SoCo comes after you are done :) I was worried this thread would go south like so many others have, and I am very pleasantly surprised! It's interesting to see the interface of the Jeep community, which is often helpful, with the forum community, which is too often stubborn. Thank you guys for restoring my faith in people (seriously).
I haven't heard the double shear term, but engineer me sees the physics involved.
I picked steel for mine too because the amount of times I drag things through the woods, it's equal utility as extrication. Synthetic line has it's place, but the maintaince is rough. I've been maintaining steel cable for a long time. Plus winch line dampers are a must and checking the ratings on every part of the system. All my tree savers and shackles for them are 30k+ rated.
Happy and safe wheeling all of you

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The SoCo comes after you are done :) I was worried this thread would go south like so many others have, and I am very pleasantly surprised! It's interesting to see the interface of the Jeep community, which is often helpful, with the forum community, which is too often stubborn. Thank you guys for restoring my faith in people (seriously).
I haven't heard the double shear term, but engineer me sees the physics involved.
I picked steel for mine too because the amount of times I drag things through the woods, it's equal utility as extrication. Synthetic line has it's place, but the maintaince is rough. I've been maintaining steel cable for a long time. Plus winch line dampers are a must and checking the ratings on every part of the system. All my tree savers and shackles for them are 30k+ rated.
Happy and safe wheeling all of you
Yeah...I kinda messed up the timing of the SoCo ;)

I expect nothing less from this forum, especially as I’ve wheeled with a number of folks on this forum. I’m not sure how it could have gone south, unless you mean public ridicule, in which case my reaction to that ridicule would determine how far south the thread went. If I’m wrong and being stupid, I will humbly accept ridicule and not react defensively. That pretty much would stop it from heading south. I’ve been baited before, and I just suck it up and drive on.

Jeep folks on this forum, for the most part, write as they would speak with someone in front of them. That, and the fact that we look out for each other, defines the general behavior of this forum.

See pic below. Should I have any concerns with the solenoid box mounted on the bull bar? I always pick a line where I’m not blasting through heavy branches at that level.

F30E6D51-A773-4912-9F0C-897D50D29D49.jpeg

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If anyone is interested, here is the link to the rope I purchased on Amazon. It comes in two colors, various lengths, and two diameters.

Clearly 82’ of 0.5” rope fits the Badland ZXR 12000 lb winch - barely. With the tensioner bar removed - which is useless in my opinion - the rope does not bind under the two structural bars.

The rope is rated at 25300 pounds. Assuming that is incorrect and it’s less in pragmatic applications, I feel it will probably still exceed the winch capacity for pull, and hopefully will last longer, safely.

If I screwed up this choice too, please hit me with it!

I believe we were promised a link? ;)

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Brian1022

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Liberty (formerly), 2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah...I kinda messed up the timing of the SoCo ;)

I expect nothing less from this forum, especially as I’ve wheeled with a number of folks on this forum. I’m not sure how it could have gone south, unless you mean public ridicule, in which case my reaction to that ridicule would determine how far south the thread went. If I’m wrong and being stupid, I will humbly accept ridicule and not react defensively. That pretty much would stop it from heading south. I’ve been baited before, and I just suck it up and drive on.

Jeep folks on this forum, for the most part, write as they would speak with someone in front of them. That, and the fact that we look out for each other, defines the general behavior of this forum.

See pic below. Should I have any concerns with the solenoid box mounted on the bull bar? I always pick a line where I’m not blasting through heavy branches at that level.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mod F30E6D51-A773-4912-9F0C-897D50D29D49
Just the timing, it's hard to go wrong with whiskey in general. I've been partial to the moonshine lately myself. Corn whiskey is still whiskey (can't tell I've had that conversation before).
I should expect the exact kind of mature and intelligent response from one of our nation's protectors. I have been ripped apart on other threads for being excited about my wrangler getting closer to being shipped and I am trying to not let it change my views. I have been wanting a wrangler since I was a kid and every time my vehicle was on it's last legs, it wasn't a good time. I have rented a couple this year for business trips and it helps with the itch temporarily, but it's no substitute for having one that is mine.
Florida must be so different to wheel too, do you have any steep or rocky areas? We're all shelf here and not much sand....lots of rocks. The lockers will come in handy once the feet of snow fall too if I get stuck, or more likely helping my friends who get stuck.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This thread kinda warmed my heart :)
Nice job all!
Sponsored