John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! I read through this thread for fun and have no plans to do any of this. All I can say is good job to the members for advising and the OP for taking advice, instead of belittling or being defensive.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Just the timing, it's hard to go wrong with whiskey in general. I've been partial to the moonshine lately myself. Corn whiskey is still whiskey (can't tell I've had that conversation before).
I should expect the exact kind of mature and intelligent response from one of our nation's protectors. I have been ripped apart on other threads for being excited about my wrangler getting closer to being shipped and I am trying to not let it change my views. I have been wanting a wrangler since I was a kid and every time my vehicle was on it's last legs, it wasn't a good time. I have rented a couple this year for business trips and it helps with the itch temporarily, but it's no substitute for having one that is mine.
Florida must be so different to wheel too, do you have any steep or rocky areas? We're all shelf here and not much sand....lots of rocks. The lockers will come in handy once the feet of snow fall too if I get stuck, or more likely helping my friends who get stuck.
Steep sugar sand and mud areas, and of course off-road parks have artificially created obstacles. Most of our off canter situations, and steep climbs, involve dirt/sand, which present their own challenges. Also, plenty of water-fording and swamp-stomping.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! I read through this thread for fun and have no plans to do any of this. All I can say is good job to the members for advising and the OP for taking advice, instead of belittling or being defensive.
Thanks John. That should be the expectation, not the surprise. :)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Question my knowledgeable friends...
I go upstate NY sometimes and Jeep the quad trails in the woods. I do occasionally go through some muddy areas. Iā€™ve never had a problem and would prefer to not install a permanent winch.
What are your opinions on portable winches?
Hereā€™s an example of 2. One mounts to your tow hitch and the other straps to your tow hook then a tree. Thanks in advance.

AD1C3C1D-83B4-47D0-80F8-6EBA4C2F0CE3.png

6BDFC092-0192-4577-A5D0-95A6477D2376.png

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
You are absolutely right; I did miss it, thus why I love this forum. I will reinstall with offset to accommodate the line, to hold the thing together. Thank you.

I found some 9.5 mm synthetic that is rated for 20.5 K, and was able to spool 95 feet onto a gen 3 smittybilt. the cross bars appear to have an offset on this model. I also mounted the solenoids in an alternate location for the ability to inspect the spool during use.

JLWin.jpg

Sponsored

Brian1022

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Liberty (formerly), 2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Steep sugar sand and mud areas, and of course off-road parks have artificially created obstacles. Most of our off canter situations, and steep climbs, involve dirt/sand, which present their own challenges. Also, plenty of water-fording and swamp-stomping.
Can I assume sugar is a slang term for the kind of sand? We don't have a lot of sand up here...and our 11 whole miles of beach :-D
Here in New England, we have a game we call "how deep is that pothole (filled with water)?"
I am interested in water fording, but got some latent fears. I will be walking every possible ford in hip waders first.
We need more parks up here too

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Can I assume sugar is a slang term for the kind of sand? We don't have a lot of sand up here...and our 11 whole miles of beach :-D
Here in New England, we have a game we call "how deep is that pothole (filled with water)?"
I am interested in water fording, but got some latent fears. I will be walking every possible ford in hip waders first.
We need more parks up here too
Roger that, Brian. Itā€™s a very fine crystalline quartz with very little clay or organics, light in color. On our award-winning beaches here in Florida that are sugar sand, it is pure, fine quartz, blindingly white and so fine in feels like sugar.

The typical sugar sand us Florida country folks refers to is represented in this short video of an off-road biker trail riding in Ocala National Forest.

Itā€˜s the same soil conditions one has to contend with when driving on the beach and/or dunes.
Sponsored