Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
This should work for any winch. I have a Badland ZXR 12000 pound winch. I decided to replace the steel cable with synthetic - 20,000+-rated, half inch in diameter - WAY over-rated for capacity of this winch.

I easily removed all of the bars above the winch spindle, so there are no capacity limitations. I took the solenoid box from the mount on the winch and mounted it on the bully bar. This eliminated the restrictions to winch capacity. I simply opened up the solenoid box, drilled through it into the bully bar, and mounted it with larger diameter sheet metal screws. It is solid. I moisture-sealed all entries into the solenoid box.

I was able to increase winch line capacity dramatically. This should work for all winches. With too much SoCo in my veins, anyone should be able to do this ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mod 994F4C02-F06E-4DEF-BCEA-7FF96596187F
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Please excuse the dirt and mud on my Jeep and winch. I use them both.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
No concern that you effectively took your drum out of double sheer?
Absolutely zero. I have snatch blocks, and it’s my decision - not the winch’s - if the pull is safe. I wanted a line that could take some abuse, thus half-inch.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
if the pull is safe.
You've taken a 12k pound winch and effectively made it unsafe for use. I'm doubting whether or not the drum will even stay part of the winch when you give it a nice tug. The bars above the drum are there for a reason you seem to have missed.

If you didn't miss it... carry on good sir.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted a line that EXCEEDS winch capacity. I can tell when the winch can’t handle the pull, I cannot tell when the line cannot handle the pull - until it breaks.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I wanted a line that EXCEEDS winch capacity. I can tell when the winch can’t handle the pull, I cannot tell when the line cannot handle the pull - until it breaks.

My concern has nothing to do with the winch line. I've taken 2 winches apart in the past and the bars you removed play a vital roll in keeping the winch together.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
These bars. If you want to keep your 20k line on that winch you need to figure out some way to get that bar back in there. Modified some way or the other so the winch stays in double sheer around the drum.

Thispart.jpg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Jeff,

What we're all saying is those bars across the top of the drum are a critical part to keeping the winch together. Without them you are no longer in double sheer, and only the base plate is keeping the thing together. That can easily spread under loads.

Moving the solenoid box is not the issue; it's those steel bars below it in the picture below that are the important structural elements.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mod 1597271679669

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
a longer line is not really a good thing either. you get the most tug in the first wrap around the drum, then it decreases significantly with each wrap. shorter line + an extension when needed is a better solution then more primary line.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the dumb question guys but I’ve never owned a winch. If you get stuck can you control it from the inside so as to “help” the Jeep climb out of say a mud hole?
Or do you leave the Jeep in neutral and winch while outside?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Sorry for the dumb question guys but I’ve never owned a winch. If you get stuck can you control it from the inside so as to “help” the Jeep climb out of say a mud hole?
Or do you leave the Jeep in neutral and winch while outside?
Most modern winches have a wireless remote so you can run it from inside the cabin once hooked up. Or they have a cabled remote that you can hookup to run from the cab.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Good copy guys; I understand now. I will reinstall the rods with an offset to accommodate the line. Thank you so much; I did not know that!

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You've taken a 12k pound winch and effectively made it unsafe for use. I'm doubting whether or not the drum will even stay part of the winch when you give it a nice tug. The bars above the drum are there for a reason you seem to have missed.

If you didn't miss it... carry on good sir.
You are absolutely right; I did miss it, thus why I love this forum. I will reinstall with offset to accommodate the line, to hold the thing together. Thank you.