Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
a longer line is not really a good thing either. you get the most tug in the first wrap around the drum, then it decreases significantly with each wrap. shorter line + an extension when needed is a better solution then more primary line.
I only increased the original length by about 17 feet. Fortunately I do know to winch from a distance, and use a snatch block, to accommodate that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
These bars. If you want to keep your 20k line on that winch you need to figure out some way to get that bar back in there. Modified some way or the other so the winch stays in double sheer around the drum.

Thispart.jpg
Andy, is the front bar sufficient, or should I do the rear too?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff,

What we're all saying is those bars across the top of the drum are a critical part to keeping the winch together. Without them you are no longer in double sheer, and only the base plate is keeping the thing together. That can easily spread under loads.

Moving the solenoid box is not the issue; it's those steel bars below it in the picture below that are the important structural elements.

1597271679669.png
I can reinstall those bars with no modification; it only starts to rub the bars on the last wrap. I still had to relocate the solenoid box. With the stock cable, IF you are able to spool it perfectly - impossible with that cable, there’s no issue. But with just a little bit of overwrap, the box doesn’t fit on the bars. I simply got tired of dealing with it. If I had left the original cable, I still would have relocated the box. The tolerances are way too slim.

I am glad that y’all have pointed out just how ignorant I am about this! Adjust fire, over!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I was looking at getting a (cheaper) steel cable winch (harbor freight) and putting a synthetic rope on it as well, but there just wasn't enough information out there about how long of what thickness rope would fit on the drum, so I gave up and just went with a no-name amazon winch that included a synthetic rope. I guess we'll see if it lasts, but I really only needed it for moving stuff around my property; not so critical if it conks out on me. So far I've operated it out and back in about 5 feet; works! haha

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I love threads like this. It could have totally gone a different direction, but the people that responded provided the reason for their comments and why it would be unsafe. The poster was also very gracious and actually implemented the feedback! I wish everything worked this way!

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I love threads like this. It could have totally gone a different direction, but the people that responded provided the reason for their comments and why it would be unsafe. The poster was also very gracious and actually implemented the feedback! I wish everything worked this way!
I never want to see a fellow Jeep owner hurt himself, and certainly not a someone who's served this country.

Plus I saw a winch line break once and seriously harm someone so overly paranoid about them.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Meh...for my uses, steel's a better choice.
Yeah, but you come across as a guy who looks after his stuff and knows how to use it.

The accident I saw was someone using a poorly maintained winch line and bad things happened.

So when someone hooks up a steel line I quickly look over their equipment and how they handle it and decide how far away I get :)

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

...now, if some manufacturer were to bring out a modern version of the ol’ capstan winch, rope length and UV degradation would be non issues...

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I expect nothing less from Jeep folks. We take care of each other. Also, when I am about to do or have done something incredibly stupid, I EXPECT good-natured ribbing and corrective advice! I would REALLY be a dumbass if I didn’t listen to to more experienced folks.

I’ve done tons of research to learn as much as I can about winching. I never ran across this issue, and never saw the term “double shear” until this thread. Again, thank you guys!

Regarding steel cable, I knew beforehand that if your cable gets crossed on the drum you will damage your cable to the point of unserviceability. Unfortunately though, when doing some pulls, winching trees down on my property, and pulling trees out of the road during a storm so others wouldn’t die, I could not control how the line was spooling during a heavy pull. Thus, my cable was kinked in multiple places yanking two trees out of the road as quickly as possible. I decided to play it safe and removed the steel to replace with the synth. I’m in Florida, so I have no real rocks to contend with.

Thanks again; y’all are awesome! Thanks for not berating me too much! ;)

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at getting a (cheaper) steel cable winch (harbor freight) and putting a synthetic rope on it as well, but there just wasn't enough information out there about how long of what thickness rope would fit on the drum, so I gave up and just went with a no-name amazon winch that included a synthetic rope. I guess we'll see if it lasts, but I really only needed it for moving stuff around my property; not so critical if it conks out on me. So far I've operated it out and back in about 5 feet; works! haha
Dave, Harbor Freight now sells a replacement synthetic line, but significantly more expensive than the synth I purchased on Amazon.
Sponsored