Winch cover, leave-on or remove ?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Guys, is there a general consensus regarding winch covers ?

I'm new to winches with a Warn Evo10S. I installed a Warn winch cover to protect it from winter salt and grime. Now that spring is here, I'd like to know if I should leave it on or remove it until next winter.

I did a few searches and I know the warn website mentions ''Cover it until you need it'', but is that really the way to go ?

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 4x4, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes, keep it covered is best though to be sure most people do not. And just as important as protecting it from the elements is to use it. If not using it "in action" then run the line out and re retrieve it, once per month. The worst thing for machinery like this is to sit idle for extended periods of time.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Yes. And just as importantly is to use it. If not using it "in action" then run the line out and re retrieve it, once per month. The worst thing for machinery like this is to sit idle for extended periods of time.
Hemmmmm, yes what??? Leave it or remove it 🤷‍♂️ this is the cover … Thanks for updating your reply, had me a bit confused :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch cover, leave-on or remove ? F6C0F642-05DB-4768-8055-26366AB8F8CE

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I think it does look nice with the cover too.... My worries are about trapping humidity in there and damaging the finish, which would defeat the purpose of protecting it with a cover. But I've read about idiots unspooling the line and the cover kinda keeps the switch handle out of sight and not so tempting.

I might remove the cover, wax the winch or spray wd-40 on it and then reinstall.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I never cover mine, but if I lived in the snow belt, I probably would cover it in the winter months….. I have seen no ill effects not covering it going on four years now…….that said, I actually use mine, so that probably helps…..

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
"wax my winch" sounds like a euphemism.
lol.... I meant to protect it from the humidity that the cover might cause when re-installed. I'll admit that it fealth funny writing it :)

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Technically keep it covered to best protect it, but realistically uncover that bad boy to showoff the $$ you spent. 😎
To be fair, I'm not a winch nerd, but when I see someone with a Warn winch, my thought is "they spent a hell of a lot more money for their chinese winch than I paid for my chinese winch" 😆

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
If the manufacturer said it should be covered I'd cover it. Seems like a answer looking for a question.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
You're in the great white north. Cover it. Salt loves to consumer anything metal

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 4x4, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
To be fair, I'm not a winch nerd, but when I see someone with a Warn winch, my thought is "they spent a hell of a lot more money for their chinese winch than I paid for my chinese winch" 😆
The Warn Zeon winch is made in the USA. Warn is on the record stating some parts are globally sourced.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The Warn Zeon winch is made in the USA. Warn is on the record stating some parts are globally sourced.
Like I said, I'm not a winch nerd. When I see warn, I see chinese trash, but more expensive than the chinese trash winch I have.
Sponsored