Jeepnā€™

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This.

Toyotas have massive lists of recalls. They're as old as Rome. They have weak engines, terrible transmissions, and finicky lockers in the diffs. The seating position is often terrible. The interiors are always 15 years behind. The aftermarket is much smaller for them. The fuel economy is poor. The tires they come with are a joke, and you can't go much larger at all without big lift kits. The superior reliability thing is a myth. Show me a Toyota with 500k on the clock and I'll show you six Jeep XJs with 500k on the clock.

I have never been able to figure out how Toyota brainwashed the American public the way they did. It's amazing.
As a current Tacoma owner making the switch to a Jeep, this comment is 100% true. Also, a stock willys with the sway bars disconnected can out wheel a modded taco.
Sponsored

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just came out of a TRD Off Road 4Runner 5th Gen. Great reliable vehicle. Dated inside. Loved it but went to a JLUR. If I had a choice Iā€™d say go Willys. Just my .02.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Think about what 80K could buy you as far as cars go at that price point, and then look at the jeep. Get a beater jeep. You'll have more fun in that other vehicle.

Jeepnā€™

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Donā€™t mean to thread jack.
Just came out of a TRD Off Road 4Runner 5th Gen. Great reliable vehicle. Dated inside. Loved it but went to a JLUR. If I had a choice Iā€™d say go Willys. Just my .02.
I guess the argument is how youā€™d use it. If you plan to use the lockers, transfer case etc, rubicon is a pretty good deal. Although Iā€™ve gone back n forth between buying a rubicon and Willys.

Think about what 80K could buy you as far as cars go at that price point, and then look at the jeep. Get a beater jeep. You'll have more fun in that other vehicle.
Iā€™ve thought about buying a daily driver and an old off road rig. My only issue is my buddies always break down on road trips. I find old beaters great if you can tow them. Otherwise they can be a pain to drive to and from the trail. At least thatā€™s been my experience.

OP
OP

Jeepfamilia

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
we already have a Hellcat and a Z/28

Sponsored

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Ok , some background ā€¦
Iā€™ve had current gen 4 runner 1 JKR 2 JLRs and 1 JLUR and I just ordered my wife a 392 JLUR XRā€¦. So Iā€™m very familiar with the Rubicon.

is a Willys comparable to a 4 runner in capability more so than a rubicon ?

I always come back to a jeep and really like the product .
Only thing is I do basic trails and donā€™t care to rock climb or do anything too difficult or technical . Most technical thing might be like black bear pass or somethingā€¦.

Itā€™s more of a daily and once every 2 month off-roader ā€¦
Would a Willys fulfill 90 percent of what I want ?

im Looking to stay more on the budget side since im about to buy the 83k rubicon for my wifeā€¦

Thanks !
Did you decide which one you wanted to get? šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Redbullf189

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport Sting-Gray
I have a Willys and absolutely love it. I actually looked at the 4Runner before buying the Willys, and my buddy owns a Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Even though I just took my Willys on a 5 hour road trip, I found the Toyota's to be better driving on the highway, but a combination of off-roading and the Jeep brand/community as a whole is what convinced me to go with the Willys. Don't regret it one bit.
Sponsored