First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Going to start documenting a few of the additions to my JLU Rubicon 4xe here as a way to capture my additions and document my build progress.

First off, I decided upon a 4xe plug-in hybrid over the 2.0Turbo for the extra power and potential for some electric range. I test drove both the 3.6 and 2.0T and even with the turbo lag, the 4 cylinder was easily the better driving engine to me. I hate diesel smell, as does my partner, so that was not a consideration despite the great power output and mileage. The 392 was not available when I ordered.

My power plant decision delayed my purchase of a JL from late May 2020 until Nov 6 which was the first day the order books were open for the 2021 4xe. As the ordering was new, pricing and several options were not available. I put $1000 deposit on a vehicle that I could only guess at the price. Luckily, I was working with @PaulwithJeep on my order and would be able to back out of the order if pricing came in too high. Still, it would have been nice to order Hydro paint, or the black hardtop, fenders, and a tailgate reinforcement but those were not available in Nov.

I had to wait until May 13, 27 weeks, for delivery of my bright white JL. This delay offered (too much?) time to select and purchase parts to add once it arrived. With other personal goals (climbing volcanoes) taking priority, I have yet to install the many of the parts described below. Any issues with installation will be noted.

Screen Protector:
This was my first installed "upgrade" on day 1 of ownership.

Floor Mats:
One month after ordering my JL, but 5 months before it arrived, I purchased some Quadratech floormats; unfortunately, the rear mat does not fit with the lithium battery under the rear seat. A few minutes with a box cutter and I modified them to fit. Not perfect, but good enough. These mats are quite deep and will hold much snow or water. I see no reason to change them despite the "customized fit".

Blue Radio Knob Covers:
What can I say? Covid quarantine isolation drove me to dress up the interior a bit with these blue, anodized Al knob covers. They slip on snuggly over the rubber knobs and bring a bit of blue to the center stack.

Fire Extinguisher and Roll Bar Mount:
Maybe this is not necessary given high quality of wiring in a new JEEP. I hope I will never need to use it. White extinguisher with blue nozzle may have been the deciding factor for this purchase.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210515_204031

Stubby Antenna:
I read many descriptions of the stock antenna whacking the windshield frame, so decided to purchase this antenna. This was the only replacement antenna which showed performance plots proving it was designed properly. I just installed it, after last weekend when I was exploring some overgrown, local trails around Stampede Pass in WA. I tuned to a distant FM station (slightly scratchy reception, too weak for stereo) with the stock antenna, then changed to this one. If anything, the signal strength improved. Very happy with the performance.

Rugged Ridge Scuff Plates:
These covered more area than the Mopar units and I like the black color to continue with my black/white/blue color scheme. These were extremely easy to install, but the rear units were hard to tell right from left. Rear fit was only OK which contributed to my installation confusion.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210515_203741

Badlands Apex 12000Lb Winch:
I was sorely tempted by a Warn, but the reviews of this winch, its price point, and IP69 rating were the deciding factors. Bought this with a 25% off coupon. Yet to be installed.

Warn Winch Mounting Plate:
Fits the stock, steel bumper. $299

Tree Saver:
$27.

Warn Power Interupter Kit:
This may not be strictly required, but it should add a measure of safety to the winch wiring installation. Something to wire to one of the aux buttons.

Blue Hawse Fairlead with flip up plate mount:
WA state requires a front license plate. This will allow me to display the plate and have a fairlead underneath. Hopefully. Yet to be installed.

Closed Cell Foam Tubing:
Rocks are flung up by my tires and pine or fir needles are collecting in between the fenders and body. This material fills that gap to help keep the crud out. Trim to length and wedge in place. Easy as pie.

Defroster Flow Control:
Air flow through the defroster vents is focused largely in the middle of the windscreen which leaves the edges barely melted. I ordered these after verifying the poor defroster spread when I rented a JL for a ski trip to Winterpark, CO. These plug the central defrost holes to spread the heat/air toward the edges. Not yet used in my JLURe since it's been warm & hot.

After my first trip along a muddy, forest road, I was amazed at how much mud and rocks were thrown onto the rear fenders, doors and door hinges.

PPF for hinges:
Wrapping the hinges provided simply, targeting protection.

Rokblokz mudflaps:
I did not want mudflaps, but, after seeing the amount of damage to my rear fenders and door hinges, I felt this was the fastest way to gain protection - especially if I add wider tires & wheels later.
Image shows mud flap with 37x12.5 tire. $169
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210630_223631

MOPAR Lift, p/n 77072522: (corrected p/n)
This is now available through Jeep Parts departments with an MSRP of $1495. Many dealerships will offer a discount just for asking; I paid $1270 before tax. Yet to be installed...and, yes, the crate easily fits in the back. $1399.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210615_110116

37" BFG KO2's:
I worked with @Discount Tire to order a set of 5, load range C, 37's. While the rolling diameter is closer to 35.5", these are still very light for their size. Great in the snow, I will run these until or unless I find myself frequently in mud. Since 5 of these would not fit inside my JL (the rear seat height reduces cargo space with the seat folded down), I had to drive on them to get them home from Discount Tire. They fit in the wheel wells, but, I wouldn't drive offroad with them until I get my lift installed. 5 tires with road hazzard, TPMS, mounting, etc. - $2807

Kansei Roku Wheels:
I struggled to decide which wheels to use. My main goal was to keep them as light as possible. While Discount Tire carries these wheels, the best price I found was through a direct purchase from Kansei who provided both a 10% discount as well as not charging sales tax. These 0 offset, 24Lb, 17x8.5" wheels are among the lightest I could find (for less than $500each). Published weight was 22.2Lbs, but I measured 24.2Lbs for the bare wheel. I'm still not sure about the 0 offset as the tread extends a good inch beyond the fenders, but I like the overall weight of tire+wheel=87.4Lbs as compared to 76.8Lbs for the stock, 285 tire & wheel.
5 wheels plus shipping - $1381.

Tazer JL Lite:
Needed for the speedometer correction due to change in tire size.
$259.

Hothead Headliners (medium grey):
I compared the Mopar headliner to reviews of other headliners and chose the Hothead with rear window panels and the "sound assassin" strips. I chose the medium grey in the hopes of lightening up the appearance as compared to black while not being as susceptible to dirt as the white would have been. Besides, the grey matches the sky most of the year around here. I used a sound meter app on my phone running the same section of highway at 70MPH and saw no significant difference in sound measurement, but it seems there was a "dead spot" above & behind me where the headliner is. I suspect most of the noise at highway speeds is from wind around the windshield. $494.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210626_120040
Sponsored

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Going to start documenting a few of the additions to my JLU Rubicon 4xe here as a way to capture my additions and document my build progress.

First off, I decided upon a 4xe plug-in hybrid over the 2.0Turbo for the extra power and potential for some electric range. I test drove both the 3.6 and 2.0T and even with the turbo lag, the 4 cylinder was easily the better driving engine to me. I hate diesel smell, as does my partner, so that was not a consideration despite the great power output and mileage. The 392 was not available when I ordered.

My power plant decision delayed my purchase of a JL from late May 2020 until Nov 6 which was the first day the order books were open for the 2021 4xe. As the ordering was new, pricing and several options were not available. I put $1000 deposit on a vehicle that I could only guess at the price. Luckily, I was working with @PaulwithJeep on my order and would be able to back out of the order if pricing came in too high. Still, it would have been nice to order Hydro paint, or the black hardtop, fenders, and a tailgate reinforcement but those were not available in Nov.

I had to wait until May 13, 27 weeks, for delivery of my bright white JL. This delay offered (too much?) time to select and purchase parts to add once it arrived. With other personal goals (climbing volcanoes) taking priority, I have yet to install the many of the parts described below. Any issues with installation will be noted.

Screen Protector:
This was my first installed "upgrade" on day 1 of ownership.

Floor Mats:
One month after ordering my JL, but 5 months before it arrived, I purchased some Quadratech floormats; unfortunately, the rear mat does not fit with the lithium battery under the rear seat. A few minutes with a box cutter and I modified them to fit. Not perfect, but good enough. These mats are quite deep and will hold much snow or water. I see no reason to change them despite the "customized fit".

Blue Radio Knob Covers:
What can I say? Covid quarantine isolation drove me to dress up the interior a bit with these blue, anodized Al knob covers. They slip on snuggly over the rubber knobs and bring a bit of blue to the center stack.

Fire Extinguisher and Roll Bar Mount:
Maybe this is not necessary given high quality of wiring in a new JEEP. I hope I will never need to use it. White extinguisher with blue nozzle may have been the deciding factor for this purchase.

Stubby Antenna:
I read many descriptions of the stock antenna whacking the windshield frame, so decided to purchase this antenna. This was the only replacement antenna which showed performance plots proving it was designed properly. I just installed it, after last weekend when I was exploring some overgrown, local trails around Stampede Pass in WA. I tuned to a distant FM station (slightly scratchy reception, too weak for stereo) with the stock antenna, then changed to this one. If anything, the signal strength improved. Very happy with the performance.

Rugged Ridge Scuff Plates:
These covered more area than the Mopar units and I like the black color to continue with my black/white/blue color scheme. These were extremely easy to install, but the rear units were hard to tell right from left. Rear fit was only OK which contributed to my installation confusion.

Badlands Apex 12000Lb Winch:
I was sorely tempted by a Warn, but the reviews of this winch, its price point, and IP69 rating were the deciding factors. Bought this with a 25% off coupon. Yet to be installed.

Warn Winch Mounting Plate:
Fits the stock, steel bumper. $299

Tree Saver:
$27.

Warn Power Interupter Kit:
This may not be strictly required, but it should add a measure of safety to the winch wiring installation. Something to wire to one of the aux buttons.

Blue Hawse Fairlead with flip up plate mount:
WA state requires a front license plate. This will allow me to display the plate and have a fairlead underneath. Hopefully. Yet to be installed.

Closed Cell Foam Tubing:
Rocks are flung up by my tires and pine or fir needles are collecting in between the fenders and body. This material fills that gap to help keep the crud out. Trim to length and wedge in place. Easy as pie.

Defroster Flow Control:
Air flow through the defroster vents is focused largely in the middle of the windscreen which leaves the edges barely melted. I ordered these after verifying the poor defroster spread when I rented a JL for a ski trip to Winterpark, CO. These plug the central defrost holes to spread the heat/air toward the edges. Not yet used in my JLURe since it's been warm & hot.

After my first trip along a muddy, forest road, I was amazed at how much mud and rocks were thrown onto the rear fenders, doors and door hinges.

PPF for hinges:
Wrapping the hinges provided simply, targeting protection.

Rokblokz mudflaps:
I did not want mudflaps, but, after seeing the amount of damage to my rear fenders and door hinges, I felt this was the fastest way to gain protection - especially if I add wider tires & wheels later.
Image shows mud flap with 37x12.5 tire. $169

MOPAR Lift, p/n 7772522:
This is now available through Jeep Parts departments with an MSRP of $1495. Many dealerships will offer a discount just for asking; I paid $1270 before tax. Yet to be installed...and, yes, the crate easily fits in the back. $1399.

37" BFG KO2's:
I worked with @Discount Tire to order a set of 5, load range C, 37's. While the rolling diameter is closer to 35.5", these are still very light for their size. Great in the snow, I will run these until or unless I find myself frequently in mud. Since 5 of these would not fit inside my JL (the rear seat height reduces cargo space with the seat folded down), I had to drive on them to get them home from Discount Tire. They fit in the wheel wells, but, I wouldn't drive offroad with them until I get my lift installed. 5 tires with road hazzard, TPMS, mounting, etc. - $2807

Kansei Roku Wheels:
I struggled to decide which wheels to use. My main goal was to keep them as light as possible. While Discount Tire carries these wheels, the best price I found was through a direct purchase from Kansei who provided both a 10% discount as well as not charging sales tax. These 0 offset, 24Lb, 17x8.5" wheels are among the lightest I could find (for less than $500each). Published weight was 22.2Lbs, but I measured 24.2Lbs for the bare wheel. I'm still not sure about the 0 offset as the tread extends a good inch beyond the fenders, but I like the overall weight of tire+wheel=87.4Lbs as compared to 76.8Lbs for the stock, 285 tire & wheel.
5 wheels plus shipping - $1381.

Tazer JL Lite:
Needed for the speedometer correction due to change in tire size.
$259.

Hothead Headliners (medium grey):
I compared the Mopar headliner to reviews of other headliners and chose the Hothead with rear window panels and the "sound assassin" strips. I chose the medium grey in the hopes of lightening up the appearance as compared to black while not being as susceptible to dirt as the white would have been. Besides, the grey matches the sky most of the year around here. I used a sound meter app on my phone running the same section of highway at 70MPH and saw no significant difference in sound measurement, but it seems there was a "dead spot" above & behind me where the headliner is. I suspect most of the noise at highway speeds is from wind around the windshield. $494.
How was the install on the Hothead headliner? I see that one come up the most consistently, but I feel like I might prefer having a shop put it in. I'm just lazy and don't trust myself to keep stuff straight, lol.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m digging those radio knob covers……. I see a set of them (red) in my future!!!!!!

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How was the install on the Hothead headliner? ...
Installation was very easy; you can do it yourself. There are Youtube videos on installation for examples. One suggested loosening the hardtop bolts & lifting the top, but the instructions and the manufacturer's video did not suggest that. The manufacturer's video was encouraging since it showed a very imprecise installation proving that the trimming and locations just don't matter much.

I sanded the interior of my Freedom tops with them removed from the Jeep, then wiped them down with isopropyl (directions call for acetone☠) and installed sound assassins and headliner with my freedom tops resting on my family room floor (where the AC made conditions tolerable). Cutting and molding the sound assassin strips took a few minutes, but the whole procedure was about 15minutes.

Emboldened by our initial success, we decided to tackle the remainder of the top. With 3 of us going at it, it took less than 30minutes (in the sunlight on a VERY hot day) to sand then clean the top, trim and install the sound assassin strips, and install the headliner panels. All was performed with the hardtop installed.

Everything was straight forward except the panels which extend over the sound bar above the rear passengers. The trick there was to prep the surface as usual, then remove the release tape and slide the panels into place from cargo area, sliding them over both the rearmost sport bar section and the sound bar.

Cleaning up the white dust after installation was easy as well. I blew off most of it, then ran over the leather and hard surfaces with some damp rags. Funny, because we also wiped everything down _before_ installation to remove dust picked up while driving up some local forest roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
im in Seattle area too, where did you get your lift kit?
Sorry, I missed your post earlier. I bought the lift from Renton CJDR.

I'm not sure why, but the closer parts departments (Bellevue & Kirkland) would not answer calls, emails, or web queries. They have lost my business.

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It's been a while since I updated this thread.

I installed the Mopar lift and re-installed the 37" KO2's on July5. Note to self: don't try to loosen any flag nuts. :facepalm: Thanks to forum members Roky & Hoag4147 by quickly answering my plea for help on July 4 & pointing out my careless mistake. This forum is awesome. Every time I learn

Also -triple checking all loosened hardware is a good idea. Somehow I left the rear, upper shock bolt loose and the shock produced an audible "clunk" on every bump. I don't have directional hearing, one ear is just for decoration, so I had my partner take a short ride with me. She was able to pinpoint the direction which gave me a clue where to look for loose bolts.

The next issue from the lift was a slightly off-center steering wheel which required a little adjustment of the drag link to re-center. Funny, but I also noticed the Automatic Cruise Control wouldn't work. The Jeep gave me an odd error, something like, " ACC not available when traction control disabled". Anyway, re-centering the steering wheel fixed that issue as well.

I've driven about 500miles since the lift and really like how it rides and drives.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210706_201242
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210709_093310
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210706_214702
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210709_211314

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
After five failed attemps, I have finally, successfully climbed up Mt. Rainier. This has freed up some time for me work on my Jeep, rather than training. So on July 24, I re-torqued all the suspension bolts I touched while installing the lift, and then began installing the Roam rock sliders that I've had since Jan (I've had the 4xe since May).

I've seen two others post about the Roam sliders. One stated they did not fit; the other said they fit, but required modifications to the slider mounting brackets...or not using 1 of 4 brackets on each side. Given low expectations, I began the installation and found it quite straight forward. There was one minor issue per side with features unique to the 4xe's cooling & electrical lines.

On the driver's side, the bolt and lower edge of a metal bracket for the battery cooling lines interferes with the number 3 slider mounting bracket (all slider mounting brackets have holes drilled in them indicating their mounting position). I lifted the edge of the cooling line bracket and bolted it down on top of the slider mounting bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210724_174452

On the passenger side's 3rd mounting bracket, a plastic bracket and pin which hold the electrical cables interfered with the slider mounting bracket. Similar to the driver's side, I simply lifted the plastic bracket, bolted the slider bracket in place, then reinstalled the plastic bracket on top of the slider bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210728_224344

The end result looks pretty good, should definitely help my shorter passengers with ingress & egress while providing rock protection.

I still need to install the lights and then the lower, "boat side" panels which provide a smooth sliding surface.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210727_164837

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Back in early August, I installed the Warn winch mounting plated & Badlands winch.

Two tricky parts of the installation were the need for some spacers under the winch to allow clearance for the engaged/freewheel lever and a need to loosen both sets of bumper mounting brackets to allow alignment of the bumper bolts. It took me a full day, including hacking & spray painting the 1/8", predrilled metal straps used for spacers & a quick trip to Home Depot for some longer, grade 8 fairlead bolts.

Painted spacers doubled up. Longer grade 10 bolts pass through these into the winch (the bolts which come with the kit are too short).
20210814_180233.jpg

Finished installation including a blue fairlead & rotating front license plate bracket. The fairlead's blue doesn't match the tow hooks, but I prefer its color to the baby blue hooks, anyway.

One forum member commented that the bracket should pivot from the top, but it seems to me that would be more likely to interfere with the rope than the position below. Maybe I'm missing something?
20210815_213941.jpg

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Getting ready for a 10 day road trip, I decided to add a 270deg awning from Overland Vehicle Systems purchased at Northridge using our local podcast's discount code =nwjeepcast for a small discount. The awning & brackets cost $984 (ouch).

Turns out, the awning shipped way faster than expected and installation only required an hour. I installed it solo - onto a cobbled together rack: used but nearly new Yakima 1A rain gutter mounts (craiglist purchase) and a brand new set of 58", round crossbars from REI. I jad planned to purchase a Yakima rack eventually since I have a few decades worth of accesories for their system. I know they hold up; my first rack was purchased back in '85 & I used that system for over 15 years which included a decade of NewEngland road salt. Total rack cost $216.

This was a risky purchase decision for me as I wasn't entirely sure I'd like the awning. Would it be too big? Or provide sufficient coverage? Or would my better half hate this type of car camping (overlanding) and we'd never use it much?

Our shake down cruise was a success. So far, with a sample of one, I really like the coverage plus setup/storage is simple. We found the size large enough to provide ample protection from rain or sun for ground tent, table, and chairs.

Once on the highway, I was reminded why I installed a windbreak on my last rack; round crossbars howl in the wind. That extra piece is already on order.

I'm a little concerned with moisture as I park outside and once the rains start next month, things may not dry out again until April. Any experiences with keeping awnings mildew free would be much appreciated.
Jeep Wrangler JL White JLURe Build Journal 20210905_172036

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
While trail running late last Fall, I found I really needed some extra lighting toward the sides of my Jeep in order to illuminate intersecting trails & camp spots. I added a pair of Rigid brand, white, D series lights ($220 from Northridge.com) on KC A-pillar light brackets ($72.24 also from Northridge). The lights are aimed about 45deg from the front and cover a very wide swath close to my Jeep. Exactly what I was hoping for.
20220506_084050.JPG

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It's been just over a year since I've added to this build thread, so I'm definitely overdue.

On 23July2023, I added the Teraflex Ebrake extension spacer, p/n 4357100 ($50). This is supposed to allow for over 2.5" lifts.

Radios
In late April, I added a Midland MXT575VP4 GMRS radio bundle ($459). My previously purchased handheld, a BTech GMRS Pro IP67 ($159), provided some great Bluetooth features, but I found the reception was a bit lacking while in a spread-out group run. Figuring this was due to the antenna placement (resting sideways along the dash, clipped to a phone mount, or resting in a cup holder), I started to shop for vehicle mounted solution. I really like the MXT575's ability to mount remotely and remove the microphone from sight, plus its built-in speaker allowed me to mount it on my left side where my functional ear is. The Midland bundle includes a "ghost" antenna which I mounted on the driver's side on an extension bolted to my A pilar ditch light. This radio came in quite useful at the 2023 PNW Trail Jam in Nile, WA where I served as a trail host.

Radio Microphone Holder
Wanting to mount the microphone/speaker on my left side, I used a CMM A-Pilar mount plus a 1" microphone mount. Unfortunately, while the A-pilar mount and arm fit perfectly, the microphone mount itself was a 4" diameter, round disk with screw holes. It would have worked, but looked seriously ugly, so I asked my son to 3D print an adapter. This is a much better solution, but obviously required significantly more effort (and a printer) just to mount the microphone. I did find another solution from Tackform; that would be my choice if my son was unable to help.

Fridge
Partially to prepare for the week long Trail Jam, and partially to support my weekend camping/wheeling activities, I shopped for and purchased a 12V fridge. After much consideration, I settled on the Setpower PT55 (47quart) fridge. This dual zone unit would allow freezing in one compartment while refrigerating the other...or just operating one side alone. The price was far less than a Dometic, and about half of an Iceco. So far, I am pleased with it's operation, but time will tell if it survives the bumping and shaking off road. ($316)

Slider and Platform
Knowing I'd need some way to secure and ease access to the fridge, I looked into many heavy-duty drawer sliders. Some of them would support the weight, but they would require a significantly more complex mounting platform system. While I enjoy woodworking, I neither have the time nor the workshop area (have to pull my partner's car out of the garage to do anything out of the weather) for an extended project. Unfortunately, the 4xe's cargo area is slightly compromised by the rear seat back hinge cover. This, in combination with the rearward leaning seatback and my desire to mount the fridge on the passenger side away from the tailgate table, limited my fridge and slider length to 27". I finally found that while Setpower did not explicitly list any fridge slider for their new PT series, one of their existing units would work for my application. Listed at 27.6" long, I made this unit work by bending up the outward facing strap tabs. ($201).

The platform is easy to make arrangement of 3/4" plywood platform with interlocking, slotted support beams. The design was based what I saw on a Cheaper Jeeper video but does not extend over the rear seats and used a different securing method. The underside of the platform uses two 90degree angle brackets to locate the support beams. The platform's top side has the fridge slider mounted on the top, driver's side, and 4 tie downs on the passenger side. I use these to secure extra cargo - camping equipment and recovery gear. The beams form a pie (3.14159) symbol shape underneath the platform and use eyebolts with wingnuts to attach to the factory tie downs. The beams are long enough and spaced apart such that the storage cubby is still accessible. Finally, I painted the platform's topside black to blend in with the Jeep interior. The platform's underside and all support beams are white to help with visibility in the dark cavity between the platform and the storage cubby. ($120)

3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger
After many off-road trips and 30,125 miles, I decided that I really needed increased altitude to lessen the amount of high centering and turtling I've been experiencing. I chose the RockSport shocks since they allow full articulation with this kit. For this lift and vehicle I needed to add the new front drive shaft. Finally, I also chose to get the DB3, rear track bar drop brackets. These are probably not required, per se, but theoretically will improve the rear track bar geometry. Overall, the kit was rather expensive, but I was able to get a discount by purchasing during the Memorial Day sale. Installation by myself, with jackstands and in a cramped garage, took me 2 weekends plus hours after work most days between (when I wasn't waiting for parts or tools). The installation probably deserves a post all to itself, but I learned a lot during the process. ($3727)

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
How has the Jeep's performance been with the 37s and stock 4.10 gearing? Did your mileage take a big hit? Thank you for updating the build log, it has a lot of good information. Great looking Jeep!

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How has the Jeep's performance been with the 37s and stock 4.10 gearing? Did your mileage take a big hit? Thank you for updating the build log, it has a lot of good information. Great looking Jeep!
Thanks, Ormandj. The 4xe has plenty of power for the smallish "37 inch" KO2's (which in reality measure 35.5") and light wheels. My tire& wheel combo weighs 87Lbs, so much less than others. I'm planning to run these tires until the tread is gone, then switch to some true 37's, probably Mickey Thompson AT tires which are a lot heavier.

I put the 37's and Mopar 1" lift on very early in my ownership, so I didn't really see a change in mileage, per se. I have been seeing about 20.5mpg overall, calculated at the pump & including all miles from charging. Mileage on this vehicle is totally dependent upon where & how I drive. If I were to just drive in the road & commute all the time, I'm sure I'd be up over 40mpg...but where's the fun in that? I go on longer road trips or offroading probably 45weekends per year which does a number on mileage. Pure highway driving yields about 18.7mpg at 65-70, full loaded, with a large canopy or space case in the roof.

I have a bunch of images to add which I'll get to eventually.
Sponsored