Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

They will be adding variable valve lift and EGR as in the Grand Cherokee, which will offer improvements that Wrangler owners want, like earlier torque delivery as well as a bit more torque.

Without the move to forced air, DI isn't really needed right now and offers more drawbacks than benefits.

http://articles.sae.org/14322/
Yea VVL and EGR are nice improvements. The 2016 Pentastar V6 also has new intake manifold with longer runners which helps low end torque.

The Grand Cherokee with the updated Pentastar has 15% more torque below 3000 RPM and 6% better gas mileage. Wonder if we'll see any further improvements for the JL/JLU/JT application.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Wonder if we'll see any further improvements for the JL/JLU/JT application.
I don't think it'll see further improvements per se, but we'll likely see a change in the focus of the tune similar to the way it was with the Wrangler vs GC vs Ram with lower HP than the GC, but more torque.

JT might get another tune like the RAM's which is up on both torque and HP, but perhaps not just a universal 'Wrangler' tune for both the JL/JT for simplicity's sake.

Brogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
The Grand Cherokee with the updated Pentastar has 15% more torque below 3000 RPM and 6% better gas mileage. Wonder if we'll see any further improvements for the JL/JLU/JT application.
That gas mileage improvement is likely what we'll see for the JL too since it'll be getting the same ZF 8 speed auto as the Grand Cherokee.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
That gas mileage improvement is likely what we'll see for the JL too since it'll be getting the same ZF 8 speed auto as the Grand Cherokee.
The JL/JLU might be able to beat that 6% better gas mileage just from being lighter than the Grand Cherokee. It's lighter by 150-700 lbs depending on GC model.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Surprised they skipped DI since they're going for better fuel economy. Would have helped power output too.
Well that's just the thing.. real world numbers on DI engines show almost zero improvement in gas mileage. Power output is usually a very small gain also, and can be had without DI by simply doing tuning alterations. So you actually get no benefit from DI.

On the flip side, DI engines run dirty, get sooted up quickly, and have shown themselves to be less dependable and require more frequent oil changes.

So my guess is that FCA is the one intelligent company that said hmmmm....maybe it's not worth the engineering $$$ to go to DI with this engine.

Sponsored

Swanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata
Do we know any timeline for at least the EPA numbers for the 4cyl? Honestly for me to still consider the JL the 4cyl needs to get 20city and at least 26hwy. It needs to be at least on par with the turbo subaru's in gas mileage. A reg cab short bed 4x4 f150 with the 2.7 averages 21-22mp on the type of commuting i do.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do we know any timeline for at least the EPA numbers for the 4cyl?
As the production line isn't completed yet, let alone the first production vehicles, it likely won't have EPA numbers until the start of 2018 if the first production unit for internal testing is supposed to roll of the line sometime around November. They might be able to get a number for the window stickers by late November/December, but that would likely involve their allowable "correlated" data rather than observed initially. They can do a broader estimate when they have something to go on, but even if it was the Pentastar, the 8-speed auto (and likely new manual) and PUG/PSU upgrades alone wouldn't give them enough point to correlate and estimate, let alone a completely different engine with limited non-performance/sport applications.

I also suspect we don't see the Hurricane at launch but rather a late intro end of 2018MY or part of 2019MY intro, specifically so they can dial in the tune to keep it off boost all the time on the highway, etc. precisely to maximize those numbers.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
i love turbo'd engines, have one now + traded a similar one + both were VAG engines 1.8T gas both 2001 + both "upgraded" which is easy with many tuners + parts serving the platform, but i will prolly opt for the 3.6 which will prolly be the base engine as my "budget" will only go so far. as for the 2.0 turbo a totally new offering is out of the question as i do not want to be a beta tester + diesel is not for me due to cost + fact they are best for long trips + heavy towing IMO. i only want a functional pickup + the likely "convertible" with half doors will get my $$$$ if not too costly!!! time will tell

Ramius Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 SLT 4x4
from the pic where we see the north face jacket dude, I can make out 2 batteries under the hood of that JL. Is that part of the hybrid system? with 2 batteries?
for the BSG and the Pressure reservoir. I believe that is what you call a mild hybrid. I hope it is, I don't want a ton of lithium in my Jeep.
BTW, diesel should be available by march 2018, according to automotive news.

Sponsored

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKR, Porsche 911 Turbo, F-350, Mazda Miata RF
from the pic where we see the north face jacket dude, I can make out 2 batteries under the hood of that JL. Is that part of the hybrid system? with 2 batteries?
for the BSG and the Pressure reservoir. I believe that is what you call a mild hybrid. I hope it is, I don't want a ton of lithium in my Jeep.
Most engines with auto stop/start have two batteries. One serves as a conventional battery the way we’re used to and the other’s sole purpose is the stop/start function.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Can someone link to this pic with the north face jacket dude? I can't seem to find it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone link to this pic with the north face jacket dude? I can't seem to find it.
Likely the very early spy photo, and he’s likely confusing the fusebox with a second battery.

Ikari Warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Looking at the vote count it looks like a great decision to offer two more engine options for this generation. There's plenty of interest in the two new engines which probably also means new buyers. How many of you wouldn't be considering the JL if it wasn't going to come with the 2.0L turbo or the 3.0L diesel?

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I am most interested in the diesel option but if it comes with a $4,000+ price tag then V6 Pentastar for me...
Sponsored