Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
As you've seen in our sticky'd info threads, the next gen Wrangler will be offered with these powertrain options.
  • 3.6L Pentastar V6 Upgraded Engine (available at launch)
  • 2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (available at launch)
  • Mild hybrid (sometime 2018-2019)
  • 3.0L VM Diesel Engine (available sometime around 2020)
  • Full hybrid (sometime after 2020)
Although specs for each engine are not yet available, we're curious which engines JLWF members are most interested in early on, so please vote in the related poll up top.

Where did the year 2020 come from for the Diesel? Source?

Sponsored

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do we have anticipated hp and tq curves? Is the turbo 4 form the alfa a good comparison? I am curious how the hp/tq will look between the two engines in the everyday rpm ranges.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Pentastar for me. It's proven reliable, smooth, and makes decent power.

If we weren't so burdened by diesel regulations, I might choose that. But as the owner of a new F350 Powerstroke, I have no desire for another vehicle that requires def or any of the other expensive and inconvenient nuances of a modern oil burner. I don't really know what the purpose of a diesel in a Jeep is either.
The regulations and extra scrutiny being placed on diesel really places a damper on it. Even if Jeep offered a diesel in the US today who knows how long it might take to actually be available for sale. The EPA still hasn't certified a single MY2017 diesel vehicle from FCA and we're a few months into the model year already. You couldn't buy a 2017 Ram or Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel if you wanted to right now.

Threw my vote in for the Pentastar.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
The regulations and extra scrutiny being placed on diesel really places a damper on it. Even if Jeep offered a diesel in the US today who knows how long it might take to actually be available for sale. The EPA still hasn't certified a single MY2017 diesel vehicle from FCA and we're a few months into the model year already. You couldn't buy a 2017 Ram or Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel if you wanted to right now.
No doubt because of the VW cheating.

Sponsored

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Hemi V8 no chance, 3.0 V6 diesel won't wait, won't buy 4 banger so I hope for an upgraded 3.6 Pentastar.

Chinster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the 4-cylinder turbo is supposed to produce around 300hp, what can we expect from the new V6? Also I hope they offer a manual option with each engine.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Where did you hear this ? Definitively ?

I think it's clear the diesel will not be available at launch and all signs point to a Ecodiesel V6. To me it is worth the wait, I'll be perfectly content in my JK until then. I also think FE will be improved across the board but the turbo 4 and diesel options will lead in that category.
i

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If the 4-cylinder turbo is supposed to produce around 300hp, what can we expect from the new V6? Also I hope they offer a manual option with each engine.
I'll guess about 300hp/300lb-ft for the new V6 Pentastar. There's definitely more power to be had from the V6. The biggest improvements expected from the update are VVL & EGR which mainly benefit torque (up by 15% and 300rpm sooner) but not so much HP. Good thing because torque is what the car needs more.

Sponsored

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
The US market JL will definitely not get the diesel first year launch 2018. It was mentioned that most likely it would slip to 2019. This information came from Milous.

Now, it "may" appear to have slipped yet another model year to 2020. This information DID NOT come from Milous so it may be false. If it ends up to be true, I will abandon Jeep.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The US market JL will definitely not get the diesel first year launch 2018. It was mentioned that most likely it would slip to 2019. This information came from Milous.

Now, it "may" appear to have slipped yet another model year to 2020. This information DID NOT come from Milous so it may be false. If it ends up to be true, I will abandon Jeep.
Same here. No diesel, No JL for me. And if you tease it along any further, I'm just done. Buzz kill.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

None of the final specs for the JL/JLU/JT are known yet but these are some estimates.

The "Hurricane" 4 cylinder turbo is predicted to be nearly 300hp.

The upgraded Pentastar V6 will feature more than its current 285hp / 260 lb-ft, but we don't know how high yet.

The V6 Ecodiesel is already being used in the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 @ 240hp / 420 lb-ft, and will probably be around those figures in the Wrangler.

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
None of the final specs for the JL/JLU/JT are known yet but these are some estimates.

The "Hurricane" 4 cylinder turbo is predicted to be nearly 300hp.

The upgraded Pentastar V6 will feature more than its current 285hp / 260 lb-ft, but we don't know how high yet.

The V6 Ecodiesel is already being used in the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 @ 240hp / 420 lb-ft, and will probably be around those figures in the Wrangler.
So the upgraded Pentastar should feature about same horsepowers as the 4 cyl turbo. Besides the turbo I wonder how the two will really be differentiated when it comes to marketing and which one will be priced and positioned higher in the lineup vs the other.
Sponsored