Sponsored

Electric - (Hybrid Plug-In) or Combustion Engine for your Jeep Wrangler?

CMU JEEP MONSTER

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Business Development
Vehicle Showcase
The Auto Industry is going GREEN, and unless you have been living in a cave somewhere you should have noticed that auto makers are coming out with their own EV/Hybrid vehicle. I didn't get to see the 4xe Hybrid Plug-In at the 2020 CES in Las Vegas. I'm interested to hear from everyone if you would sell your Jeep and move to a Hybird Jeep.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CMU JEEP MONSTER

CMU JEEP MONSTER

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Business Development
Vehicle Showcase
The Auto Industry is going GREEN, and unless you have been living in a cave somewhere you should have noticed that auto makers are coming out with their own EV/Hybrid vehicle. I didn't get to see the 4xe Hybrid Plug-In at the 2020 CES in Las Vegas. I'm interested to hear from everyone if you would sell your Jeep and move to a Hybrid Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Electric  - (Hybrid Plug-In) or Combustion Engine for your Jeep Wrangler? Tesla Charge

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I like driving a manual transmission too much.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I will reserve full judgement for later, but I think that a hybrid will be the worst of both worlds for a Jeep. It’s not a Prius.

The Wrangler will become a new and dedicated EV design in the next generation, and I’ll happily enjoy my last gas one in the meantime.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
I will reserve full judgement for later, but I think that a hybrid will be the worst of both worlds for a Jeep. It’s not a Prius.

The Wrangler will become a new and dedicated EV design in the next generation, and I’ll happily enjoy my last gas one in the meantime.
True, the Prius is about as much fun to drive as a wet paper towel, but a plug-in hybrid like the Volt will squeal the tires and is quite punchy. A plug-in hybrid in the style of the Volt, but tuned for the trail would be sweet in a Jeep. A Prius Jeep? Not so much.

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Very interesting for sure!! Curious how to charge while out in the field. If via solar, what about those cloudy days? Easy for gas engines to carry extra fuel.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m all for what’s better for this beautiful planet we’ve been blessed with, however from what I’ve read in the forum is the batteries for these vehicles are worse for the environment than the emissions.
Is this true?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
No. Mine burns oil and the clatter is music to my ears.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I’m all for what’s better for this beautiful planet we’ve been blessed with, however from what I’ve read in the forum is the batteries for these vehicles are worse for the environment than the emissions.
Is this true?
No. The big question is source of electricity. Coal being the worse, but even then having a central emitter that can be more tightly controlled is better than millions of individual emitters.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

If I had had the option, and the PHEV was available, I would have got one. The daily use case is perfect. The DD portion would be covered under battery power, and trails and long-distance would get a mix of battery and ICE.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Is this true?
The tricky thing is, just the words "better" and "worse" are opinions based on selective fact picking. Depending on what side of the argument you decide upon, it's easy to come up with facts that support that side. Even using the same fact can be used by both sides, e.g. 100,000 people are dead by COVID-19. That's horrible, "our leaders" aren't doing enough!...but early models predicted half-a-million dead by this time, so 80% reduction in expected death...still horrible, but clearly, an improvement over expectations?

I dunno, you gotta decide for yourself. We can only hope that Jeep continues to let us decide. I mean, they let the consumer decide between three pedals or two pedals for your feet to play with, that was cool - Corvettes and Ferraris don't let you do that anymore, and they're supposed to be "fun" cars. Guess it depends on your definition of fun - again, another opinion.

But back on topic, to recharge something like a 500-mile-range truck (Telsa Cybertruck)...<pause for Googling>...it can take hours, longer than even the trip itself. That's great, if you could just plug into a nearby cactus and charge overnight, but cactus technology hasn't gotten there, yet. With today's technology, if you're doing remote off-road adventuring, I think you'll need the energy density and portability of gasoline or diesel.
Sponsored