Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Looking at the vote count it looks like a great decision to offer two more engine options for this generation. There's plenty of interest in the two new engines which probably also means new buyers. How many of you wouldn't be considering the JL if it wasn't going to come with the 2.0L turbo or the 3.0L diesel?
I would just buy a used JK then. The diesel is the only thing that is keeping me interested in a JL over a JK.
Sponsored

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
I'm disappointed in all the options. No horsepower gain for the V6. The Turbo comes in even lower, yet is an "upgrade." I would have liked to see a horsepower/torque increase.

Why no Hemi option??? They are putting them in just about everything else...

If I had to choose, the V6...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
I wanted a diesel at first for MPG but by the time you add the money for the time and hassel and the DEF fluid I don't think it will be worth it.
I think I just come to the same conclusion. Plus an extra $4k+ is hard to justify.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
About in the same camp, i am tempted by the diesel but depending on the performance and cost, i might go for the Pentastar.

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Looking at the vote count it looks like a great decision to offer two more engine options for this generation. There's plenty of interest in the two new engines which probably also means new buyers. How many of you wouldn't be considering the JL if it wasn't going to come with the 2.0L turbo or the 3.0L diesel?
I wouldn't. I wanted a jeep or truck for offroading last spring, but held out when I heard the JL would likely be much more fuel efficient (the Turbo) and have a power roof. I'm waiting for the official announcement on the 29th, but if both features won't be available until half way through the summer, they may have lost one potential JL owner.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I've got an old 08 JK with the 3.8, and I enjoy driving it even now more than any other vehicle. The JL is just going to be gravy.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Diesel all the way. I have no problem waiting until August of next BUT I am dying to se the price point. If the diesel out prices itself, I might look into the hurricane 4 cylinder.
I'm curious as to what price you would consider the breaking point?

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
The question should be... "what transmission are you interested in."
Seeing as how the manual transmission is not available across the board... that kind of limits your choices if you prefer rowing through the gears yourself...

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I have a 2017 F250 6.7 diesel. This is one of the most powerful diesels offered to the common public. Over 400hp and over 900ft-lb of torque. When I first bought it, the sound brought a big smile on my face. It pulls a load nice and gets decent mileage. After a while the hype wears off. It is not a magic. People raise these things up to a level that is beyond realistic.

-At the end of the day, it is an engine with a turbo. No matter what they tell you, turbo lag still exists. It is annoying. You do not have power when you want it when at speed on the road. It is great at steady state power, but not sudden demands.
-The extra expense is annoying. My air filter cost $60. Oil changes are well over $100.
-DEF is not expensive but you guessed it....annoying. All so cities can reduce soot. I don’t live in the city and have to deal with this crap for no purpose. In the country, soot is not a significant impact.
-When the computer decides to do the burn in the particulate filter, it smells like you are burning electrical components and your gas mileage suffers as well.
-If you plan on keeping it a long time, you will be stressed about possible catastrophic costs that do not exist in NA gas engines.
-Diesel engines are no longer the hyper mileage units they used to be. They are no longer 300k+ engines like the old Cummins, Ford 7.2, or Mercedes engines.
-There will be a day when you are in a hurry, with the weight of the world on your mind. You will pull up to fill up your diesel jeep and fill the tank up with gas. Most people do it at some point. Hopefully you realize the mistake before you start it back up. If not, break out your checkbook and say goodbye to the family summer vacation. The cost will be enormous.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
-DEF is not expensive but you guessed it....annoying. All so cities can reduce soot. I don’t live in the city and have to deal with this crap for no purpose. In the country, soot is not a significant impact.
DEF isn’t for soot, it’s for NOx, the DPF filter is for soot.

Dan250378

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 530d
In Europe & overseas...
I hope it will not come here!! but i hope the 3.0Diesel will have here the newest emission class i.e. EUR 6b or d or what ever it is now mine now has it not and i get already problems in some cities that i am not allowed to drive there. Otherwise it would have to be the 3.6l Pentastar.

unfortunately it is still a long time until they will be available here
Sponsored