Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6 and love it. Plenty of power, less complicated and love filling up with regular gas. The 8 sp tranny is a 10+.
I have been surprised by the 3.6L with the 8 spd. The way I drive it's been a very good combo for me. And, I'm quite impressed with the mpg's. Better than I thought they would be.

OP, I suggest you test drive both if possible. We can give you info on what/why we bought the engine in our Jeeps, but you are the only one that an decide which you like best.
Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
To complicate the decision of which engine to get, you might want to wait for the EcoDiesel which is supposed to be available for the 2020 JLU Wranglers.

But stay away from that 4 Cylinder Turbo. What I find disturbing is that cooling lines are running under the floor to the booster, I think the 48V battery to be more specific. I don't know how well those lines are protected. But I bet those lines are expensive and time consuming to install.
So you're urging someone to stay away from it, but know nothing about the physical setup or their intended use for the vehicle. Just have a feeling about it? Insightful.

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 2.0L but I also snuck in under the wire and got the lifetime warranty. Otherwise I would have bought the 3.6L since I plan on keeping this a long time. Hopefully the 2.0L proves to be a good reliable engine but it is certainly more complex and less proven than the 3.6L.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
From the turbo 2.0 in my Eagle Talon TSI AWD to the turbo 2.3 in my wife's CX7, I've not had good luck with small turbocharged engines pushing heavier vehicles. I went 3.6 w/ 6MT. Felt like a safer bet.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
So you're urging someone to stay away from it, but know nothing about the physical setup or their intended use for the vehicle. Just have a feeling about it? Insightful.
Viper, what engine would you recommend or not? And why?

For me after seeing pictures of the Turbo and the cooling lines, it had me wondering. Being an engineer on military aircraft does make me err on the side of caution. So I hope you understand my feelings.

BTW, Dadgummit just gave a great justification for the Turbo.

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
From the turbo 2.0 in my Eagle Talon TSI AWD to the turbo 2.3 in my wife's CX7, I've not had good luck with small turbocharged engines pushing heavier vehicles. I went 3.6 w/ 6MT. Felt like a safer bet.
How long did you have the Talon? I had bought the Eagle Premier and I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
How long did you have the Talon? I had bought the Eagle Premier and I couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Only kept it maybe 2 years. It kept having issues with throttle position sensors, stalling, not starting. My personal favorite was when it would "over boost" throw a CEL and leave me on the side of the road...again somehow relates to the TPS. I got a point where I loved it but said no more. At one point Chrysler was giving me a hard time about the TPS telling me my after market stereo messed with it. I'd had enough and dumped it for the 300ZX I still have today (as a garage queen).

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Read the "Anyone have Turbo regret" thread this has been hashed, rehashed and regurgitated a thousand times.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Read the "Anyone have Turbo regret" thread this has been hashed, rehashed and regurgitated a thousand times.
Except that more people now have more miles on the turbo, so I like checking in now and then to see how they are doing. So far, so good!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I really didn’t have a choice. I have a good local dealer, and the next closest is 100 miles away.

I wanted to buy local, and I’m not wired for long waits.

I was ready to buy, and they only had 2.0 turbos on the lot. One problem solved.

I took the one that had my “must have” options: 8 speed, LSD, hardtop, towing, and maybe some others I’m forgetting.

Anyway, I flat LOVE the Turbo. It’s a rocket ship to me, after 20+ years of Cummins Duallys.

Mine has never tasted a drop of premium fuel. Runs great on regular.

I do agree that it is worrisome in its complicated nature. I have a plan to deal with that, though.

36 months, or 36,000 miles, it’s toast. I’ll just get me a new one.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
It really comes down to whether or not you like new technology. The v6 is proven older tech. The 2.0 is better but has not had the chance to prove longevity. people who choose the v6 will defend their decision to the death and the 2.0 buyers will do the same. Drive both and choose whichever one feels better.
I agree, but my concern is not so much the technology but with the quality of that technology. I am about to turn in my leased 2016 Mini Cooper S 6 spd. manual and purchase a 2019 or 2020 JLUR. My Mini has a 2.0 liter turbo built by BMW. Before that car, I had a 3-series, also with a 2.0 liter turbo. Both are GREAT engines. Smooth as silk and very responsive!!! My Mini Cooper has just over 40K miles on it now and I drive the sh*t out of that car. My 4th set of tires just went on it... yeah, at 40K miles. Not an once of trouble. What concerns me is that the 2.0 turbo from FCA doesn't have that quality feel or sound. I am hesitant to own it outside of warranty. Since I plan on holding on to my next Wrangler, I will go with the tried and true V6, which I also had in my 2012 Wrangler... with no issues. My thoughts are if you plan on leasing or trading your purchased Wrangler in before it goes out of warranty, then really consider the turbo. It does seem faster and you do NOT have to run premium fuel in it btw. But, if you are going to keep the JL past the warranty period, the V6 seems to be the smarter move.

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
Drive both and buy what you want. I was dead set on the V6 until I drove them both back to back over and over for months. (Dealerships got tired of me) I ended up with the 2.0 turbo and so far I could not possibly be happier. And whoever claims the 2.0 idles rough is absolutely 100% dead wrong. You literally cannot tell that the motor is even on when sitting idle. Funny enough my wife and I both commented over and over when test driving them how rough the V6 felt at idle compared to the 2.0.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Drive both and buy what you want. I was dead set on the V6 until I drove them both back to back over and over for months. (Dealerships got tired of me) I ended up with the 2.0 turbo and so far I could not possibly be happier. And whoever claims the 2.0 idles rough is absolutely 100% dead wrong. You literally cannot tell that the motor is even on when sitting idle. Funny enough my wife and I both commented over and over when test driving them how rough the V6 felt at idle compared to the 2.0.
That's because the ESS shut it off, Lol! Honestly, it is subjective, but I've driven them back to back, too, and the 4 feels and sounds like a 4, to me. Still, it is a little rocket motor.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that I am heading towards the 2.0 Turbo in a 2020 model this fall.
Sponsored