Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And FYI that DRY non oiled filter is suggested only for “non dusty environments “ by the manufacture afe.

I was going to go with one until I read that. It tends to be quite dusty where I wheel and I’d rather throw $20 at a paper 5 times in a hundred thousand miles than do any engine damage from a higher flowing (and less efficient at actually filtering) air filter.

✌
After reading..... looking over the afe graph, showing dust holding capacity of their Pro DRY S offering, I can see why you opted not to go with one of those, considering you say you wheel in a very dusty environment..

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
From their website:
Comprised of multiple layers of synthetic media, the Pro DRY S offers excellent filtration efficiency and protection for street and light off-road driving conditions. Requiring no oils, it’s our easiest to maintain performance air filter
Notice the "light off-road".
as opposed to their top off the line (that requires oil).
Our Pro-GUARD 7 media was designed specifically for today’s rigorous off-road and diesel applications. Its patented hybrid design features both cotton gauze media and synthetic media, providing the greatest level of filtration efficiency and unparalleled engine protection and performance
I'm not saying I know which one would be better for anyone's application. But it does appear that the dry filter is not intended for lot's of off-road dust.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
OEM..........$12. Most auto parts stores didn't have them in stock when I looked at NAPA and others. Was surprised the OEM was reasonably priced at the dealer.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
After reading..... looking over the afe graph, showing dust holding capacity of their Pro DRY S offering, I can see why you opted not to go with one of those, considering you say you wheel in a very dusty environment..
Yeah I had one of the Pro DRY S in my old tuned BMW 335xi (which was an amazing car) and never had an issue with it. But that was a street only vehicle, unlike my JL.

The factory filters are cheap enough to not really worry about replacing as needed in my opinion. I’m all for a better flowing filter but I also tend to steer away from oiled filters these days.

I’ve had a brand new factory oiled K&N drop in filter cause all kinds of problems and take out a MAF sensor before (in another car) and I’ve steered away from oiled filters ever since. All the fancy electronics in newer vehicles do not like to be even lightly oil coated.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A good quality paper filter is all you and you engine will ever need. Paper filters usually have the highest filtering efficiency, dust holding capacity, and supplies more than enough air for the engine.

I personally stay away from other air filter media types (oiled and dry). The oiled elements allow oil and dust into your intake system. The dry media doesn't hold as much dust as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The only time I'd see a need for any other type of filter is if you're operating in a wet (like crossing a lot of streams, rivers, etc) environment. In that case, the paper filters will totally collapse once they get wet.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OEM..........$12. Most auto parts stores didn't have them in stock when I looked at NAPA and others. Was surprised the OEM was reasonably priced at the dealer.
Yup, you can find for $12 but more often then not you end up
A good quality paper filter is all you and you engine will ever need. Paper filters usually have the highest filtering efficiency, dust holding capacity, and supplies more than enough air for the engine.

I personally stay away from other air filter media types (oiled and dry). The oiled elements allow oil and dust into your intake system. The dry media doesn't hold as much dust as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The only time I'd see a need for any other type of filter is if you're operating in a wet (like crossing a lot of streams, rivers, etc) environment. In that case, the paper filters will totally collapse once they get wet.
I do little if any offroading with my JL, but I do, do lots and lots of interstate driving though.

Thanks to all the diesel trucks on the road, etc., my air filter and cabin air filter get sooted up and dirty in a short time frame.

For me the afe Pro DRY S, air filter, has worked out well, cause I can clean as often as needed... ...with paper filers, I would be spending lots of $ replacing every few weeks...

Guess an owner needs to consider the environment and what works best for them.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I wonder if the fellow Jeepers clean up the paper filters from time to time?.. blow them with compressed air?.. would that damage them?

Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Paper OEM-style filters far and away filter better than any cloth filter, oiled or not. Air flow is a non-issue, as well, because there is tremendous filter area with the OEM-style filters.

If you run with a group and you are not the lead, you are taking some serious risk with the longevity of your engine running anything other than a good paper OEM-style filter.

For on-road, the cloth filters are fine. One nice thing is that you can run a cloth filter and then swap to paper for off-roading.

If anyone has any doubt, do a used oil analysis after running in a dusty environment with cloth and you will see a high number for insolubles.

I have run Car Quest house brand, STP, and Mopar, and they all look like they are exactly the same. I ran an off-brand from Amazon and it was similar but with a different color (black) rubber. But all my UOA's have shown a very low insoluble count, indicating good filter performance. Even after super dusty off-road trips out west.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the fellow Jeepers clean up the paper filters from time to time?.. blow them with compressed air?.. would that damage them?

Thanks!
I wouldn't. It can dislodge smaller particles that will wind up in your engine when you re-use it, at lest initially. New ones are cheap insurance. I run them 10k to 15k miles. Most are rated for 12k. I do go ahead and replace them after off-road trips with high dust, usually before the long highway drive home.

I just checked some prices: $26 or so for a Carquest from Advance Auto (15% discount), $20 for an STP at Autozone, and an AC Delco at O'Reilly for $21. Amazon has a Premium Guard for just under $18. It looks exactly like the Carquest.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a deal. This one looks and feels EXACTLY like the OEM Mopar filter and is under $16 bucks.

OMIX Air Filter

I just ordered two of them. WIth 2 JLUR's with 3.6 engines, I like keeping at least two on hand for the next change. This deal is so good it bumps me to 4. The others are the Premium Guard filters that look/feel just like an AC Delco.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I live in the desert on a dirt road and our search team usually runs dirt roads in the mountains. I will stick to OEM.

UTME

First Name
T-Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon-X Unlimited Firecracker Red
Owners manual says

Engine Air Cleaner Filter Selection
The quality of replacement engine air cleaner filters varies considerably. Only high quality Mopar® filters should be used.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
Owners manual says

Engine Air Cleaner Filter Selection
The quality of replacement engine air cleaner filters varies considerably. Only high quality Mopar® filters should be used.
I haven't changed mine yet, how often do you change your filter?

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
I haven't changed mine yet, how often do you change your filter?
I was living in Utah and changed at 10K and 20K when I got back to Texas and will probably go every 20K here.
Sponsored