Sponsored

Where to purchase a key and program?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Just lost 1x key that's for my 2018 JLU w/ remote start. I called couple of the local dealers, and one seems to have any in stock? Any tips on where I can purchase an OEM Key and where I can get it to program for my Jeep?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just lost 1x key that's for my 2018 JLU w/ remote start. I called couple of the local dealers, and one seems to have any in stock? Any tips on where I can purchase an OEM Key and where I can get it to program for my Jeep?
Do you by any chance have a Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty? I thought I read the Max Care Warranty covers the key FOBS?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Did you get the Jeep Cares(?) program? I foolishly lost a keyfob off the roof a year ago and spent four hours searching for it in the dark, and had the cops called on me.

But when I went to the dealer the next day, they replaced it for free, and said that I had two more replacements if necessary after that.

I still have to set an appointment to grind the key blank though

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Do you by any chance have a Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty? I thought I read the Max Care Warranty covers the key FOBS?
Yes, maybe it was this.

It cost a little bit, maybe the price of 1.2-1.4x keyfobs. If I lose two, I win(?). Really good (for us) odds in insurance though.

The way the jeeps are set up, you can't 'pretend' to lose a key and get a 'replacement' so you have three. The jeep can only remember two codes at a time, so the new one overwrites the lost one.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Only time I had to replace a key about a year ago. I had to order if from the dealer and the dealer did the programming.

Sponsored

OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it’s a 2018, so no jeep care, and it’s not even under under warranty as of May 2021.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Most modern cars are the dealer only...they will have to order and program for you. They are not cheap.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
You can get key fob on Ebay for $100 (OEM) and a lock smith can program it for $40 - $60.

I agree. Depends on your location for price, but if you've no Jeep key replacement program, this is probably your best bet.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Most modern cars are the dealer only...they will have to order and program for you. They are not cheap.
This isn’t true. Independent shops can do this, the tooling simply isn’t worth the investment most of the time.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I agree. Depends on your location for price, but if you've no Jeep key replacement program, this is probably your best bet.
Although ebay aftermarket fobs are cheaper ($69)
I have updated previous post with what I have done, needing 2 keys and going OEM route. $117 fobs with precut keys and $40 programming for each.

OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although ebay aftermarket fobs are cheaper ($69)
I have updated previous post with what I have done, needing 2 keys and going OEM route. $117 fobs with precut keys and $40 programming for each.
Thanks, I'll give this a try.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had no keys after buying from an auction.

Bought 2 new fobs with cut keys to your VIN. ($110 each)
Had a lock smith come to my house to program them both ($80)

You can buy fobs with uncut and cut keys to your VIN for same price (different part numbers)

With cut key, remote start:
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-integrated-key-fob-transmitter-68384454ab?c=Zz1tb3Bhci1hY2Nlc3Nvcmllcy1jb21wb25lbnQtcGFydHMmcz1kcml2aW5nLWNvbnZlbmllbmNlJmw9MSZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9amVlcCZvPXdyYW5nbGVyJnk9MjAxOSZ0PXVubGltaXRlZC1zYWhhcmEmZT0zLTZsLXY2LWdhcw==

Cut key, no remote start:
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...5JnQ9dW5saW1pdGVkLXNhaGFyYSZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz
If you can "buy" keys why am I a month into waiting on one for warranty.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Not true. There are a LOT of locksmiths /companies who cut and program keys 3rd party. They specialize in automotive keys. Many even work 3rd party for the dealers. A lot of their business is used cars. I have seen their trucks outside of dealers in the used car lots. I just saw one outside of my Jeep dealer working on cars. The company is a national chain kind of like SnapOn. I even saw either the same company or one like it at a Sams Club. They had a kioask set up offering to replace remotes and cut keys for a club discount. I will try looking up the company.
Sponsored

Last edited: