Where and how to store soft top windows?

1. Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR (Mojito)
    Liked:
    Hey everyone. I’ve got a 2018 JLUR and just swapped out my hard top for the soft top. What is the best way to store the soft top windows in the Jeep when putting down the top? Earlier this week I laid them across the rear seats because they didn’t seem to fit in the trunk. When I went to reinstall them today the plastic rear window had a crease/indentation in it from the seatbelt clip. Just wondering what the best practice is. Thanks!

2. AMG

AMG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
    Liked:
    Mopar soft top window storage bag, part #68358392AB

TaxPhan likes this.
  3. jeepster345

jeepster345 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Hunter
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep JLU
    Liked:
    Unfortunately, I haven't found a great way to store them either. I usually just lie them down in the back and fold the back window. They do get creases, but the heat from the sun smooths them out.

4. OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
    Liked:
    Goes likes this.
  5. MTKMAN

MTKMAN Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    18 MOAB
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I second @AMG and @OldGuyNewJeep. I purchased the Mopar one at the advice of some members on here. I couldn’t be happier.

6. robaw

robaw Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked:
    +1 on Mopar bag. Seems like mine take on more damage when they're on my Jeep than when they're in the bag, so I guess that's good! :like:

7. lightsout

lightsout Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, Tesla Model-S, Infinity G37 Hardtop Convertible, 2018 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, Bayliner 4588 Motor Yacht
    Liked:
    In many of the popular Jeep part sites/stores they only obvious option was the Mopar window bag at $170 which is way overpriced for a canvas bag and even then with the windows stored in it it is too big to fit in the back of the Jeep.

After looking at other options like various JK bags I found this on on Amazon for $49, I figured what the hell I will give it a try.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMRK4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bag arrived and I was impressed with the quality and the size assuming the windows fit, actually fits like a glove in the cargo area of the JLU.

Below are pictures of the windows in the bag:

1st Side window

Second side window

For the back window I removed the bottom bar and then Used a light weight packing blanket rolled up with a couple straps, and since the window was too long I used the rolled up blanket for support so I could fold the back window without it creasing.

Here it is all windows stored in the bag, as you can see it fits perfectly in the cargo area or can be hung or stood up

I also installed the Slipstream cargo security system and the bag fits perfectly

There is even room left over for other items like a Bikini top or ???

dsgrey, jz19, Oskar79 and 1 other person like this.
  8. ads75

ads75 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2016 Acura RDX
    Liked:
    I use the Mopar storage bag. Keep in mind, with the rear window, you will have to separate the bottom bar in order to "bend" the bag and windows to fit in the back trunk (at least for my 2 door).

9. BrntWS6

BrntWS6 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2002 Trans am WS6, 2019 Jeep Sahara
    Liked:
    I bought a $10 moving blanket and just lay them flat in the trunk. I layer it so the blanket is between each window. The ends of the rear window have to curl up on each side but it always flattens out. Mopar bag is way overpriced for me. The blanket never blows around either, even with the doors off.

10. AMG

AMG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
    Liked:
    The Mopar bag is $113 with free shipping at allmoparparts.com. The windows fit perfectly in it (no folding them up with a rolled up blanket to keep them from creasing) and the bag can be stored vertically against the back of the rear seats so you don't lose the ability to store things in the storage area. Your solution is cheaper but far less convenient.

terryb and OldGuyNewJeep like this.
  11. OldGuyNewJeep

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Exactly! After separating and snapping bar back in to its home the bag fits just as intended behind the back seat. My review has the pictures to prove it. Dunno why people who don’t own it are hell bent on spreading misinformation about how it doesn’t fit, causes creases, etc. Don’t want to spend the money? That’s cool, but don’t say it doesn’t work as designed; it’s a great bag.

FWIW it’s only $75 if you order it with your Jeep.

Stored vertically behind the back seat:

F70A2E96-FA63-415C-8508-92769110C1B7.jpeg

Greenjeepthing likes this.
  12. lightsout

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, Tesla Model-S, Infinity G37 Hardtop Convertible, 2018 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, Bayliner 4588 Motor Yacht
    Liked:
    the problem with the mopar bag is it does not lay down in the bed, it is designed to stand up, in hot weather it has been reported the plastic get soft and then collapses in the bag potentially creasing plastic per reports here and online reviews from users. (read the Quadratec reviews and others)

For the 2 door Wrangler that is the only option for for a 4-door the there are much better options for a lot less $$$ like the one I outlined above.

Also with the Mopar bag vertical it sticks up higher than the back seat.

preferably you want to lay down the windows especially in a black bag in hot weather

zyt likes this.
  13. NickTinVA

NickTinVA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Rubicon
    Liked:
    Second this solution. This bag works great. I use a piece of pipe insulation to prevent the crease on the rear window.

jz19 likes this.
  14. OldGuyNewJeep

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    The windows do not crease. I own the thing and used it for a whole summer. The bag also does not stand higher than the seat. It would lay down with the sides curled, same way they are meant to curl when standing. (When curled, you’re curling the sailcloth and not the vinyl window part.) So now “it’s been reported” that your information is wrong.

Listen, choices are good and it’s great you saved $60 and are happy with your purchase. By all means let everyone know what you found and give your honest review. You gotta stop spewing misinformation about the bag that you don’t own, though.

Ugh, I don’t know why I even care. I need to find something else to do when I’m bored. :beer:

15. lightsout

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Dude, do not shoot the messenger there are many reports form people that own the mopar bag that have reported damage to their windows

Here is just one of many

"The first review is spot on. Nice to store in your house but in no way properly fits on the back of the seats. The fabric is too soft to hold the windows straight up when hung from the back seat. At least when the windows are soft from the heat. My windows kept sinking down inside the bag and now have these god awful crease marks they never had before. This was after one use. I would never attempt to hang my windows from the backseat again. Aside from the crease problems, the windows in no way, shape or form fit properly when you hang them from the back seat. I would not recommend this product for the price. I paid a lot for this on the assumption it would perform as claimed. It’s a nice quality cover but does fix the fact that the windows of the JL sunrider soft top cannot be rolled up and don’t fit laying flat in the trunk unless you put the seats down. Hanging from the rear of the back seat would have been great- if it worked. This doesn’t. You can get very good quality covers for half the price. Do that. My 2 cents."