Sponsored

Where to purchase a key and program?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
it’s a 2018, so no jeep care, and it’s not even under under warranty as of May 2021.
When does you drive train warranty expire? You can still buy a Max Care Warranty up until the expiration of your factory drive train warranty. Apply for a FCA Drive Plus credit card and you get a $100 credit on your first Mopar purchase of $499 or more. The Max Care is a Mopar product. Use the Drive Plus credit card to buy the Mopar Extended Warranty to get a extra $100 back. Consider what you would have spent on a fob as a additional discount on the warranty.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just lost 1x key that's for my 2018 JLU w/ remote start. I called couple of the local dealers, and one seems to have any in stock? Any tips on where I can purchase an OEM Key and where I can get it to program for my Jeep?
I see your in the Seattle area. Here are a few places in your area if you don't want to use the dealer.

http://autokeyseattle.com/
https://www.seattlekeyreplacement.com/
https://carkeyreplacementwa.com/
https://seattlelocksmithsecurity.com/
http://lock-smith-seattle.com/auto-key-fob-replacement.html

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes, maybe it was this.

It cost a little bit, maybe the price of 1.2-1.4x keyfobs. If I lose two, I win(?). Really good (for us) odds in insurance though.

The way the jeeps are set up, you can't 'pretend' to lose a key and get a 'replacement' so you have three. The jeep can only remember two codes at a time, so the new one overwrites the lost one.
@LittleDog

This is inaccurate..... not the case at all.

I currently have 3 working fobs for my 2018 JL. Two fobs came with my JL (from factory) and the additional, the 3rd fob from the dealer.

When I got the 3rd fob dealer did programming as needed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I had no keys after buying from an auction.

Bought 2 new fobs with cut keys to your VIN. ($110 each)
Had a lock smith come to my house to program them both ($80)

You can buy fobs with uncut and cut keys to your VIN for same price (different part numbers)

With cut key, remote start:
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-integrated-key-fob-transmitter-68384454ab?c=Zz1tb3Bhci1hY2Nlc3Nvcmllcy1jb21wb25lbnQtcGFydHMmcz1kcml2aW5nLWNvbnZlbmllbmNlJmw9MSZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9amVlcCZvPXdyYW5nbGVyJnk9MjAxOSZ0PXVubGltaXRlZC1zYWhhcmEmZT0zLTZsLXY2LWdhcw==

Cut key, no remote start:
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...5JnQ9dW5saW1pdGVkLXNhaGFyYSZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz
I can confirm.... these part numbers are indeed correct.

Replacement fob for a JL with remote start (4 button fob) :
Integrated Key Fob Transmitter - Mopar (68384454AB)

Replacement fob for a JL without remote start:
Integrated Key Fob Transmitter -Mopar (68384452AB)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Not true. There are a LOT of locksmiths /companies who cut and program keys 3rd party. They specialize in automotive keys. Many even work 3rd party for the dealers. A lot of their business is used cars. I have seen their trucks outside of dealers in the used car lots. I just saw one outside of my Jeep dealer working on cars. The company is a national chain kind of like SnapOn. I even saw either the same company or one like it at a Sams Club. They had a kioask set up offering to replace remotes and cut keys for a club discount. I will try looking up the company.
Well, I assumed Jeep was advanced as others. My 10 year old VW requires a $300 key that needs programming at a dealership that communicates with Germany. Convoluted? Yes.
A co-worker needed a key for his F150, $300 for that one.
If guys are getting cut keys and programmed for $150, that's a bargain these days.
But still way off from the $20-30 fobs of the past.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Although ebay aftermarket fobs are cheaper ($69)
I have updated previous post with what I have done, needing 2 keys and going OEM route. $117 fobs with precut keys and $40 programming for each.
@LittleDog

This is inaccurate..... not the case at all.

I currently have 3 working fobs for my 2018 JL. Two fobs came with my JL (from factory) and the additional, the 3rd fob from the dealer.

When I got the 3rd fob dealer did programming as needed.

Huh, thank you for the correction. You are right.

My dealer must tell everyone that so they don't have people pretending to lose a key to get a 'free' one.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I assumed Jeep was advanced as others. My 10 year old VW requires a $300 key that needs programming at a dealership that communicates with Germany. Convoluted? Yes.
A co-worker needed a key for his F150, $300 for that one.
If guys are getting cut keys and programmed for $150, that's a bargain these days.
But still way off from the $20-30 fobs of the past.
$200-$300 seems to be the average for a new key fob. It might be only a matter of time before the key or FOB is obsolete. I can see cars going to APPs on phones or something in the future?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
$200-$300 seems to be the average for a new key fob. It might be only a matter of time before the key or FOB is obsolete. I can see cars going to APPs on phones or something in the future?
Perhaps but I hope not. Apps and phones are too hackable. I would prefer a bespoke key.

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
Yes, maybe it was this.

It cost a little bit, maybe the price of 1.2-1.4x keyfobs. If I lose two, I win(?). Really good (for us) odds in insurance though.

The way the jeeps are set up, you can't 'pretend' to lose a key and get a 'replacement' so you have three. The jeep can only remember two codes at a time, so the new one overwrites the lost one.

If I have this warranty and lost a key do I go through the dealer or the mopar site?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Huh, thank you for the correction. You are right.

My dealer must tell everyone that so they don't have people pretending to lose a key to get a 'free' one.
when we do the programming, you set the number of keys. If customer reports a lost key, it is deleted from the vehicle to prevent theft.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
If I have this warranty and lost a key do I go through the dealer or the mopar site?
I just went to the dealer. I don't know if the key shortage is still going on, so call ahead. They might have to set a different appointment to engrave the keyblank too. I still have one blank, as I never got around to it.

@mwilk012 Yes, I asked if they delete it. I lost the set I was actively using off the roof as I drove. It's a silly story.

Didn't want someone to find it on the roadside and cruise around town pressing it though.

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
I just went to the dealer. I don't know if the key shortage is still going on, so call ahead. They might have to set a different appointment to engrave the keyblank too. I still have one blank, as I never got around to it.

@mwilk012 Yes, I asked if they delete it. I lost the set I was actively using off the roof as I drove. It's a silly story.

Didn't want someone to find it on the roadside and cruise around town pressing it though.
Cool, thanks. I wanted to avoid a trip to the dealer if at all possible, but I need a spare.
Sponsored