Sponsored

Just purchased a used Rubicon. Where to get it checked out?

rcep2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Hello all.
New to the forum and excited to see all the advice and info posted here.
Just bought a used 2019 Rubi with 11k miles. It will be delivered to me in about a week. Do you all recommend i get it checked out directly a a dealership service dept or would any mechanic work?
I want to make sure that it is a thorough inspection to make sure any issues are found (if at all).
Appreciate your help.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hello all.
Just bought a used 2019 Rubi with 11k miles. It will be delivered to me in about a week. Do you all recommend i get it checked out directly a a dealership service dept or would any mechanic work?
I want to make sure that it is a thorough inspection to make sure any issues are found (if at all).
Appreciate your help.
Is it being transferred from a Carmax location or something? Did you buy it already? Hopefully not. I'd have it throughly inspected before buying it. There are companies that specialize in doing per-delivery inspections. Google automotive pre-delivery inspections.

Or do this yourself. Check the vehicle history reports. I would also check with a Jeep service department and have them run the VIN to make sure the warranty is valid and not blacklisted. Get the service history report from them if possible. The dealer will also check for outstanding recalls. A body shop inspection previous paint or body damage would not hurt either.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Should have done that before purchasing. Anyway, a competent mechanic should be able to perform a full inspection. If you can find a shop that specializes in Jeeps or off-road vehicles that would be better. Of course, a Jeep dealer would be a good option if you have no others.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Since you seem to have already purchased it prior to any inspections, I would consider a bit of a two pronged approach:

1) I would take it to the dealer and have them check it front to back. I would also have them run it’s repair history, etc.
2) I would also consider taking it to a well-regarded 4-wheel shop near you. Have them focus on any mods that are on the Jeep (the dealer probably won’t) as well as giving it a full look over (they will both double check the dealer and look at it from an undercarriage bumps/scrapes/off-road viewpoint—- not just a dealer “mechanical” inspection).

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all.
Appreciate your help.
All others giving sound advice.....I would just reiterate take it to a Jeep savvy 4x4 shop if it’s been lifted, or has aftermarket steering components, the dealership will be a little less than than useless for this........ congrats on your new Jeep....:)

OP
OP

rcep2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Vehicle reports are clean other than some recall issues and those were serviced and checked out. I will have the dealership run through the service history too.
Excited for it, hope to not have any surprises.
Sponsored