Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did 4500 and normally do 5000 or so.
Sponsored

vincentj

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I've rebuilt my fair share of engines over the course of my 38+ year automotive career and I've seen the damage that not changing your oil can do on a regular basis...that's why I performed my first oil change on my JLU at only 500 miles on the odometer. I like to get rid of all the metal that may be floating around during the first early stages of engine break-in. I will then schedule the rest of my oil changes every 3K. You can never change your oil too often, it won't hurt anything other than your pocket book. On a side note I use Wix oil filters. The part number for the stock Wix filter (for the 3.6L) is a WL10010. Next time your at your local auto parts store have them pull the Wix WL10010XP filter from stock and compare the difference to the WL10010. The XP filters are designed for use on full synthetic oils that follow an extended mileage interval. Something that you may want to consider using if you are of the opinion of keeping your oil in service on a much longer basis. Food for thought...

Last edited:

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer changed my oil at 3K for me, but of course it was at my request. Every 5K after first is fine by me but not 7K, just something I never believed in even using synthetic.

Black_JLUR_18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I did my first one early at 2500 miles with pennzoil full synthetic and mopar oil filter. Changed it myself in my garage. I don't like the dealer touching my vehicles. I will probably do my next change at 10000 miles

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I did my first change last weekend myself at exactly 2500 miles with a Mopar filter and Pennzoil synthetic. 5 quarts. I'll do it every 5000 miles with synthetic from now on in so it's easy to remember. I may use the dealer freebies at some point. Maybe 10K

Sponsored

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All!

I did my first oil change at the dealership around 3,500 miles. Then my second close to 8,500. I'll probably stick to between 4-5,000 depending on how hard I am on it.

I've got 2 more free services then will start doing it on my own. I don't trust many shops to do the job right.

TRebel

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU 2012 Dodge 3500 2016 Toyota Sequoia Honda Goldwing 2014 Fleetwood Providence
I will do my first oil change at 1500 miles, because... it's a new engine. A new engine could have some manufacturing debris in it and, a new engine will "wear in" new moving parts (bearings and such). The second oil change will come at 5K and then every 5K from then on.
I use Pennzoil Platinum full syn.
And, no "free" oil changes for me. I do all of my own maintenance. I don't want four or six quarts in my five quart engine, or any other blunder a grunt "want-to-be" mechanic assigned "oil change" duties might make.

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 l JLUR
I just got some warranty information in the mail today and it had the service schedule included which stated that the oil change is recommended around 5,000 miles. The service guy at my dealership recommended 3,500 miles. I'm going to do it around 3,000-3,500 miles.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
I believe if you want your Jeep to last as long as possible everything should get an early change to get initial wear and contamination out. Not just engine oil but diffs, transfer case, transmission, etc. I did my engine oil at about 2,000 miles with Amsoil 0w20 synthetic oil and an Amsoil oil filter. I do everything myself even though I could get free oil changes at the dealer.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...es-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?zo=226468

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Just got mine done at 7500km (~4600 mi) since I wanted to get the tire rotation done at the same time.

Of course the dealer ended up overfilling the engine so it's back at their garage being drained...

I normally do the work myself but in my defense, I don't have indoor parking and it's -30C outside!

Sponsored

Vylentqt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White Rubicon (6 Spd)
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
1500 Miles
Pennzoil Platinum/OEM
Nope (I might do it @ 5k miles, just to get any updates and such)
I like doing it myself (I don't like strangers touching my car(s)) :)

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My question for those who do their own maintenance, how do you log it from trade-in/resale time?

Orange

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door
I'm at 2,400 miles. I'm thinking I'll change it at 2,500 miles. I'm pretty sure my first oil change and tire rotation is free at my dealer so I'll most likely take that offer. I'm worried they'll pretend to do it and tell me that they did it considering I'm at such low mileage. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to know for a fact the oil was properly changed? I was thinking of marking the filter or asking for the old one but I want to avoid coming off confrontational.

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Since my 2019 Rubicon was at the dealership for almost 3 weeks, 1 month after I got it, I had them do a free oil change at 2k miles.
Sponsored