sk89

sk89

First Name
Shamseer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport
He rolled over 4 times, survived it without injury and it seems his JL is still running. Tell me any other brand out there that can take abuse like this and allow a driver to walk away without major injuries. Go ahead NHTSA. I am waiting! In other words: eff your safety ratings telling that the JL is not as safe
JL is far far better but the dealers are insane, fu...k
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Hello dears,

please advice me regarding
1. My JL wrangler 2020 rollover in desert 4 times, after that, what are the precautions I need to take care
2. Can I drive the car since there are no indications are shown in instrument cluster
3. As of now only body damages are found
4. How I can make sure that no more mechanical issues in car (no unusual indication in cluster)
5. Some oil over flaws happened

need help to survive my wrangler from this incident

C737B782-5D88-4C06-97C1-1B84022FB646.jpeg
4 rolls??? FYI if it rolled onto its right side that is a quarter roll, then it’s top=one half roll, and kept going onto its other side and back on its wheels would be one complete roll. 4 rolls I think there would be a lot of damage. But stranger things happen. 🤞 good luck.

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
waiting for some photos/videos

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Bro, it happened from the top of the sand dunes(purely soft sands) , I am a lucky person to not having the injury. My wrangler stopped the rolling over after reaching the middle of the dune.
Did you get sideways on the dune? Dangerous. Glad you’re alright, if the Jeep still runs, it’s probably fine. Just take it to the shop and have them check it over.

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Probably a stupid question but if you roll it will insurance ever cover that?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think we are over complicating this for the OP (though he surely does not give us enough detail).

Given the he rolled on the dunes and is asking about driving it, I'm going to assume that there is no obvious massive damage and that the engine is starting, which prob means vehicle was not upsidedown/sideways after the roll (at all or for long).

So if he is in the desert, drive it out slowly. Best case it drives OK. worst case something massive is wrong and he calls the insurance company who will likely total it and pay him.

Beats leaving the Jeep in the middle of the desert and having to call insurance company to report he was on the dunes. Best to call them when he is on the side of a paved road.

Ins: "What happened?"
OP: "I went of the road, and Jeep rolled" (all true)
Ins: "where did it happen?"
OP: "Off of mile xx of desert hyway YY" (done)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Now, after the above, if he wants to continue to drive, there are lots to check.

For starters check all fluid levels and check for leaks. Consider changing all fluids. Pay special attention to fuel tank and fuel lines.

Inspect all wheels, suspension and seteering components engine/transmission/transfer case mounts.

Check alignment.

Check all seat belts, including pre-tensioner mechanisms. Check seat mounts.

If it drives well keep driving if you want, but why not just file a claim with insurance?

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
If your Jeep was resting on it's side or upside down for anything longer than a few minutes, some oil could have seeped into the upper cylinder (above the piston). If this has happened and you start the engine, you risk hydrolocking your engine. The result wil be a bent valve, connecting rod, etc. which will necessitate a rebuild at minimum.

To get any oil out of the upper cylinder(s), you'll need to remove each spark plug individually and then turn the engine over (without starting it.....which should be obvious) to ensure there's no oil in the upper cylinders. Have someone watch each spark plug hole to see if any oil is coming out (you can have them hold a white towel, napkin, etc. lightly over the hole and any oil will show up on it). Continue to bump engine over until no more oil is blown out. Re-install spark plug and then move on to the next cylinder. Continue with each cylinder until your are 100% positive all oil has been removed from the upper cylinders.

If you take all the spark plugs out at once, there might not be enough pressure in all of the cylinders to blow the oil out.

I'd recheck your oil level afterwards to ensure you didn't lose too much so you can drive home.

I've rolled a Jeep before and did this same procedure. Never had any engine issues.
Um, I’d agree, however I’d take ALL plugs out before cranking the engine. Oil in one cylinder that you try to “compress” can cost you and engine..

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I’m quite understanding this train of thought. You’re saying if there’s oil in the upper cylinders there’s potential to hydrolock and bend a rod or something. That part I understand. But when you say to pull one spark plug at a time and turn the engine over each time, that part I don’t get. If you had oil in multiple upper cylinders and only pulled one plug at a time, you have successfully emptied one cylinder, but now every other one with oil in them has potentially bent a rod. I think you’d have to do all plugs at once to avoid that. And the pressure from having one plug out vs all of them out won’t change the pressure in the cylinders while cranking the engine over.
@Qjoh5510 and @Oldbear

I stand corrected. My memory isn't what it used to be and when I typed it out, it didn't really sound right. It was 13 years ago, so I called my buddy who was there (and a lot younger than I) to confirm what I did. The correct procedure is to take all the plugs out as you both pointed out. Not sure why I was thinking one at a time.....maybe I was confused with checking for TDC??

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
He rolled over 4 times, survived it without injury and it seems his JL is still running. Tell me any other brand out there that can take abuse like this and allow a driver to walk away without major injuries. Go ahead NHTSA. I am waiting! In other words: eff your safety ratings telling that the JL is not as safe
Obviously you dont know how Dunes in the middle east are.Sand is very soft and a 4 time roll doesnt mean he was doing 150 mph.He could have just tumbled down a dune slowly. Lived there for 20 years, seen plenty of those.They flip em back and off they go.Glad OP is ok but a general rule of thumb is we NEVER EVER open the windows , EVER .While driving you can get a truck load dumpd into your face making a turn and no one likes that, so maybe his wondows were up i guess and that help him with limbs and what not stay tucked inside.

Go to 2:10 for a small sample.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
He is a Jeeper in the Kingdom of Qatar. Doubt he has to worry about Insurance.
Insurance in those countries doesn't cover off-roading.Been there, done that.LR3, blown airbags.
Sponsored