Sponsored

What is a brake controller and why do I need it?

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Someone in the facebook group said the use an Echo bluetooth controller. That was my question,how easy to access any brake control functions on a phone while driving (if that is a thing.)

As @GATORB8 correctly said, sensitivity tends to be set once and forget (for a specific trailer), but for what it is worth at least some modern trailers have "automatically adjusting" brakes which may further negate the need to change sensitivity. (My Rockwood HW277 does and its cheaper than yours is.)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The Echo looks very promising. No install and pretty much plug and play.

The one downside is that it would occupy my phone. However, I have a few old unused smartphones laying around. I wonder If I could use one of those phones set to bluetooth to manage the brakes so I can then use my active smartphone for music, google maps, etc... connected to my uconnect unit in the Jeep.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
A brake controller is only effective if your trailer has electric brakes.
A brake controller works well with trailers equipped with EOH (electric over hydraulic) brakes, too.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Someone in the facebook group said the use an Echo bluetooth controller.
Relying on a Bluetooth connection for something as important as trailer brakes doesnā€™t seem to make a huge amount of sense to me.......

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
People do realize the 3,500 lb maximum tow rating is based on one person in the Jeep and no other passengers or cargo, right?

Sponsored

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Mine came with trailer brakes, but I don't tow.
Anyone know how to remove it? Would rather have a USB port or 12v.

20230204_121338.jpg

MaximusW

First Name
Maximus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe Rubicon X (Anvil)
Occupation
Creative Director
The Echo looks very promising. No install and pretty much plug and play.

The one downside is that it would occupy my phone. However, I have a few old unused smartphones laying around. I wonder If I could use one of those phones set to bluetooth to manage the brakes so I can then use my active smartphone for music, google maps, etc... connected to my uconnect unit in the Jeep.

While this does look like a promising option, I'm concerned with the 2.4 (out of 5) rating and some of the reviews I read on the iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/echo-smart-control/id1427659579

MaximusW

First Name
Maximus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe Rubicon X (Anvil)
Occupation
Creative Director

Jeep Wrangler JL What is a brake controller and why do I need it? 20230204_121338
Attached are the install directions for the MOPAR Trailer Brake Controller. I assume that the instructions could assist you in reversing the installation process. Of course, you'll need to pick up whatever you plan on installing there. Hope this helps!

Attachments

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel

Jeep Wrangler JL What is a brake controller and why do I need it? 20230204_121338
Would you be interested in selling it? Iā€™m considering putting one in my JLUR.

Thanks.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You need the brake controller to actually send power to the trailer's electric brakes, and the Jeep doesn't have it by default. I got the Redarc that you mentioned (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TPS46BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with the Tekonsha cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08288R363/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it was a two-hour install, with 1.5 hours of that due me being very picky about the button location and mocking its location up several times.

In the US any trailer with a GVWR over 2999lbs requires brakes; and no vehicle will power those brakes without a brake controller (even one that is integrated and hidden somewhere in the dashboard.) Even the 450s and other ultra-towers have brake controllers to power and modulate the brakes. Braking will absolutely suck - and much worse any emergency situation you will be totally fucked without it. There was one time my family was towing a horse trailer with our Bronco (this was in the 90s) and we had a blow-out in the rear (These were the Firestone tires that had recalls around that). If my dad hadn't been able to use the brake controller and trailer to slow us down, then we would have lost control and wrecked.

Anyone who tells you that you don't need a controller of some kind is talking out of their ass, and the Jeeps are only factory wired for one, but do not have one pre-installed.
This. Youā€™re going to have 1 3=4 ton pushing your rig. Itā€™s kinds nice if it stops at the same time you došŸ˜. Electric brakes Require a brake controller to activate them. I can not imagine ANY competent dealer telling you that their electric brakes donā€™t require a controller or that your Jeep has that covered. You need to get with someone knowledgeable about trailer brake systems. I suppose youā€mayā€ have ā€œsurgeā€ brakes on your camper but Iā€™ve never encountered that in 30 yrs of fooling around with campers.

Sponsored

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Would you be interested in selling it? Iā€™m considering putting one in my JLUR.

Thanks.
Absolutely, I just have no idea how to remove it. Looked online and couldn't find anything.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
Via a signal from the 7 pin connector at the back of the jeep in which the RV plugs into. Isn't that basically what happens when a brake controller is installed?

One of the 7 pins actually is there to send a signal to brake a trailer.

Since I have a tow package, I figured this connection from the Jeep hitch to the trailer would send a signal to brake the trailer when the the Jeep brakes are engaged.

It seems if a vehicle has a tow package should have a brake controller included. Because braking the trailer is an important part of towing a trailer. I guarantee I am not the only one who thought I was all set with a tow package.

My trailer has electric brakes as mentioned in the OP and later again in this post.
I had the same conversation with my cousin when he bought a trailer. The Trailering package is a hitch and the wiring (4 and 7 pin). If you want (electric) brakes to work, you need the controller. I used the MOPAR unit, because it was plug and play (but not 20 minutes) and looks very clean.

In addition to activating the trailer brakes, the controller also lets you adjust how much braking force is sent to the trailer (lighter trailers need less braking power and you never want to lock the trailer brakes) and it allows you to apply the trailer brakes only (if it starts swaying, tap the trailer brakes, not the vehicles brakes)
Sponsored