Sponsored

What is a brake controller and why do I need it?

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I just purchased a travel trailer (Xplorer 165x) its dry weight it ~2900 lbs. So I figure I'll be around 3500 with it smartly loaded.. I was on the Xplorer facebook page and someone mentioned the great brake controller they have https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller

I never heard of a brake controller. I have the tow package and figured that was all I set for towing a trailer with electronic brakes.

Is a brake controller a must have? What does a brake controller do that my tow packaged JL can't do?

Which one should I get that works well and is easy to install? Or is a brake controller something that a pro should install?

I am not a smoker and read a post here about one that uses the cigarette lighter spot. Maybe that is the way to go so no holes need to be drilled in the dash. Or maybe one made by Mopar would be easiest?

Confused.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

2nd result on YouTube when searching "what is a brake controller" (after an obvious marketing video from one of the manufacturers)

My understanding is that, even with the tow package, your JL will only use its own brakes - hence the tow package coming with the HD brakes. A brake controller will allow you to also use the trailer's built-in brakes, so as not to put so much stress on your Jeep.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have the tow controlling you listed. On their web site, they will also sell you a cable for the JL, which you need. It's a simple install and there's even a video (I think on their web page) that explains how to do it.

With a trailer that size, I would take a good guess that it has electric brakes. The tow controller gets installed and then those trailer brakes get activated. Without brakes, your jeep is going to have a really hard time trying to stop a 3500lb load.

I tow a relatively light trailer (probably less than 2000lbs) and the tow controller works but I feel like it could be a little more less mild. You have the dial you can turn up, but I just set it to about 5 and leave it as is. I want it to work, but not work so good where it skids. So far, I haven't had any issues but I always give myself extra space.

It also sounds like you've never towed before. I don't know if I would start out towing something large and something that sits at the capacity of the Wrangler. There are some people that tow things that size, but it's pretty nerve-wrecking just towing a small trailer. I would suggest renting it to see if you're comfortable with towing first before committing to it.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
As others have mentioned, if your trailer has electric brakes, you’ll need a brake controller to utilize them. Maxed out on weight, I certainly would.

There are some options now that don’t require permanent install, such as Curt’s echo series.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have the tow controlling you listed. On their web site, they will also sell you a cable for the JL, which you need. It's a simple install and there's even a video (I think on their web page) that explains how to do it.
Do you have the TOW-PRO ELITE ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER or the Mopar brake controller that uses the cigarette lighter? If the Tow Pro, did you need to drill a hole in the dash board?

Either way, how easy to install?

With a trailer that size, I would take a good guess that it has electric brakes. The tow controller gets installed and then those trailer brakes get activated. Without brakes, your jeep is going to have a really hard time trying to stop a 3500lb load.
I had no idea the trailer brakes would not work on trailer without a Brake controller add on.

No one mentioned this at any of the RV dealers I shopped at or the camper shows. I just happened to see someone mention it on the facebook page for my trailer brand.

Most dealers asked what kind of vehicle would be pulling it and looked up weight ratings for the Jeep, but not a mention about needing a brake controller.

I do not know anyone that owns a trailer so nobody to discuss such things with in person.

It also sounds like you've never towed before. I don't know if I would start out towing something large and something that sits at the capacity of the Wrangler. There are some people that tow things that size, but it's pretty nerve-wrecking just towing a small trailer. I would suggest renting it to see if you're comfortable with towing first before committing to it.
I grew up towing travel trailers on cross country trips. I started pulling a trailer on my drivers permit with my parents. I was so good at it I was in charge of tight situations and backing up into campsites. This was many years ago and as far as I know the car brakes activated the trailer brakes.

I also pull a decent sized boat now, but that has surge brakes.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Do you have the TOW-PRO ELITE ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER or the Mopar brake controller that uses the cigarette lighter? If the Tow Pro, did you need to drill a hole in the dash board?

I had no idea the trailer brakes would not work on trailer without a Brake controller add on.

No one mentioned this at any of the RV dealers I shopped at or the camper shows. I just happened to see someone mention it on the facebook page for my trailer brand.

Most dealers asked what kind of vehicle would be pulling it and looked up weight ratings for the Jeep, but not a mention about needing a brake controller.

I do not know anyone that owns a trailer so nobody to discuss such things with in person.

I grew up towing travel trailers on cross country trips. I started pulling a trailer on my drivers permit with my parents. I was so good at it I was in charge of tight situations and backing up into campsites. This was many years ago and as far as I know the car brakes activated the trailer brakes.

You'll definitely prefer electric brakes to surge.

It looks like the RA elite has an off-road mode, that probably isn't necessary. They have a standard "liberty" version that would work that's a good bit cheaper.

The knock out for the RA is made for a Toyota, so, I'd assume you need to cut.

We don't have the tow package on the Jeep, but normally you'll have a pigtail stuck in the glovebox that will have the controller wires. Some of the bigger controller brands (like Tekonsha) will have a vehicle specific connector so you don't have to wire in that pigtail.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I think your dealer is full of shit.

Unless someone with more money than common sense added a braking axle, I’m waving the BS flag.

For starters, brakes on commercial trailers are found on two axle and up, not single axle. They’re just too light to justify flat spotting the tires from too aggressive controller settings. The pull vehicle is the brake, not the trailer.

Your comment peaked my curiosity so I went digging. Hell, maybe times have changed. As expected, none of the specifications or brochures mention an option for electronic brakes, surge brakes, or drag chutes.

Have your boy at the dealership show you the brake system he says you bought.

As for installing a brake controller on a Jeep? I wouldn’t do it. If you plan to tow a double or triple axle rig with your Jeep, you’re a fool. One good gust and the trailer will guide you straight to the ditch…….

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yesterday I messaged the dealer that sold me the Xplorer 165x. I asked him I needed a brake controller. This was his answer:

I am very confused now.
From the OM:
Towing Requirements — Trailer Brakes
 Do not interconnect the hydraulic brake
system or vacuum system of your vehicle
with that of the trailer. This could cause inadequate
braking and possible personal injury.
An electronically actuated trailer brake
controller is required when towing a trailer
with electronically actuated brakes
. When
towing a trailer equipped with a hydraulic
surge actuated brake system, an electronic
brake controller is not required.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

You need the brake controller to actually send power to the trailer's electric brakes, and the Jeep doesn't have it by default. I got the Redarc that you mentioned (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TPS46BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with the Tekonsha cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08288R363/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it was a two-hour install, with 1.5 hours of that due me being very picky about the button location and mocking its location up several times.
Jeep Wrangler JL What is a brake controller and why do I need it? PXL_20220529_222019743

In the US any trailer with a GVWR over 2999lbs requires brakes; and no vehicle will power those brakes without a brake controller (even one that is integrated and hidden somewhere in the dashboard.) Even the 450s and other ultra-towers have brake controllers to power and modulate the brakes. Braking will absolutely suck - and much worse any emergency situation you will be totally fucked without it. There was one time my family was towing a horse trailer with our Bronco (this was in the 90s) and we had a blow-out in the rear (These were the Firestone tires that had recalls around that). If my dad hadn't been able to use the brake controller and trailer to slow us down, then we would have lost control and wrecked.

Anyone who tells you that you don't need a controller of some kind is talking out of their ass, and the Jeeps are only factory wired for one, but do not have one pre-installed.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I bought the following:

Tow-Pro Mounting Kit × 1
Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler suitable Tow-Pro Brake Controller Harness (TPH-022) × 1
Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller × 1

People say the mounting kit is a waste of money. I don't care. It was about 25 bucks for a piece of metal that you can probably buy at the hardware store for a few bucks. I've done my share of fabricating and I'm over it. I'll pay the 25 bucks instead of spending 2 hours making some goofy bracket while cursing.

The wiring harness is important. I've read that some light their dashboard up like a christmas tree due to some wrong wiring harness thing. If I recall, there needs to be a diode in the wiring harness to prevent this from happening. The downside to using the harness with the diode is that if you need to manually apply trailer brakes the lights on the trailer won't light up. I've never had to manually apply the brakes and would rather not mess my jeep up so I opted for the diode. The TPH-022 that I received works.

I went a different route to mount it. I tore the cigarette lighter out and there was a 3d printed mounting part that you replace the cigarette lighter with. You can close the flap to hide the dial and flip the flap up to control it. It works well, but the light around the dial is hard to see. I didn't want to drill any holes in the dash so that's why I went this route.

If you can install a car radio then you can do this. It was extremely simple. See this video for a step by step guide:

What everybody else says. Surge brakes will work. Electric brakes need the controller.

If possible, go to another dealer? If they aren't honest about it, I wonder what else they are not honest about too. Or, maybe they just assume you already know? Some cars have a controller built into them. I *think* it was a few pickup trucks. Maybe they're just not familiar with the jeep?

As long as you're familiar. I'm just saying that for me personally, it's nerve-wrecking to tow a small overland trailer. I just started towing last year and just need more practice.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I bought the following:

Tow-Pro Mounting Kit × 1
Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler suitable Tow-Pro Brake Controller Harness (TPH-022) × 1
Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller × 1

People say the mounting kit is a waste of money. I don't care. It was about 25 bucks for a piece of metal that you can probably buy at the hardware store for a few bucks. I've done my share of fabricating and I'm over it. I'll pay the 25 bucks instead of spending 2 hours making some goofy bracket while cursing.
Watched the video. Looks nice. Even though the video shows a gladiator, it looks like the install will be exactly the same as the Wrangler install.

It looks like they put the dial where the cigarette light is. Is that what you did?
Sponsored