Sponsored

What do your Nuts look like?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Check my reply here, would be nice to find a set of spline nuts that work w/ aftermarket wheels and STILL have a decent area where it seats to the wheel. My spline nuts (and all the others that I've seen that work for smaller lug holes that aftermarket wheels have ) have such a minimal contact area where lug nut seat meets the wheels lug seat. Anyone know a spline lug nut that will work here and SAFELY have enough seat for these large & heavy wheel/tire combos/ And keep in mind, our JLs require 130 ft. lbs of torque so that small contact area is under even more stress.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/got-my-icon-rebounds.43125/#post-951511
Sponsored

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
The spline nuts arrived this evening. I can finally mount my new tires and wheels tomorrow because the nuts and spline key fit the lug nut holes perfectly. Here they are compared to the Mcgards. Keep in mind they're both advertised as M14x1.5 The spline nut is almost a half inch longer than the acorn. The base on the Mcgard has slightly more surface area but they both have a 60 degree slope.

20191219_190423.jpg

Reactions: J0E

dsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito!)
Occupation
Slacker
The spline nuts arrived this evening. I can finally mount my new tires and wheels tomorrow because the nuts and spline key fit the lug nut holes perfectly. Here they are compared to the Mcgards. Keep in mind they're both advertised as M14x1.5 The spline nut is almost a half inch longer than the acorn.

20191219_190423.jpg
Which lugs did you end up going with? Seems like I'm going to concede and switch to spline drive as this seems to be the easiest route.

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Wow! Op asking for pictures of our nuts, 2nd post talking about a mushroom, throw in a video about slap chop....
Best
Thread
Ever!

"You're going to love my nuts"

Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm waiting on my Fuel Shoks and Ridge Grapplers from DTD. Big shout out to them and Matt DTD here on the forum. I am getting some splined nuts from them, hope they are good.

If I don't like them I'll go the Mcgard route. Someone else hit the nail on the head. Almost 3k in wheels and tires, definitely don't want to find them missing one day.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i dont think the seat area is as critical as some may think. i was in the wheel business for over 10 years. everything from 1500ft lb torque drag cars/trucks to heavy street trucks. ive never heard of a lug breaking off due to this issue. the only time ive ever seen a wheel come off was due to insufficient torque applied when putting the wheels on OR non hub centric wheels being run without spacers (and not properly centered). for your aftermarket wheels, as long as you use a tapered lug nut and torque it properly, it will be fine. on stock wheels, use stock lug nuts or similar if a different color is desired. if you look at the wheels, the seating area is not very large as it is. the larger seating area of certain lugs may be to allow for wheels that have more seating area? if you feel adamantly that the seat surface area is critical please find a case on any vehicle forum where this has caused a failure to support this theory.

when running to super heavy set ups is likely when you need to swap to heavy duty studs. as do high torque applications like race cars.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I just went through this. Initially bought the McGard installation kit, which provides black cone lugs and black wheel locks (84585BK). They go on fine but realized they looked different than the OEM lugs. Found this thread and some others and eventually took them all off and bought 5 sets of the 4 packs of bulge cone lugs (64074) and the separate black wheel locks 5 pack (24516) to makes my own "kit" (for some reason they don't have an installation kit for the bulge cones).

Here's a pick with them all together, cone on left, bulge cone on right).

Jeep Wrangler JL What do your Nuts look like? 2348CE0E-57AD-4A03-B8E0-B383A0F0FB3D

And here's the bulge cones with the wheel lock:
Jeep Wrangler JL What do your Nuts look like? C75A3585-A458-4898-9952-39F8BCEEBF4D

Final comparison, mopar lugs with the Mopar branded version of the McGard wheel locks:
Jeep Wrangler JL What do your Nuts look like? 850A6456-89D3-4DF2-85CC-4DBC89292209
Sponsored

Last edited: