Sponsored

Check your lug nuts

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This last weekend my JLUR had a major squeal when driving and had some major vibration on the freeway at 60-70 mph. I decided to check the the wheels and found a missing lug nut.

Discount tire direct owned up not to installing the acorn nuts correctly causing this issue. Ended up destroying the rim and 1 broken lug. They are ordering me a new wheel + will get the all the lugs replaced.

Feel lucky I checked when I did, because I was apparently very close to the wheel coming off.

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_9463.JPG
Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
And that is why you have to pay attention to the feel of your car or jeep. I had the same thing happen in my JKU with loose wheel lugs. Thankfully it was off the highway so less nerve racking.

I always laugh at all the stupid stories of people on the side of the road completely missing a wheel because they didn't care what that bad feeling was while driving.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
DAMN!
WTF happened to that 2nd nut from the top, was it torqued to like 200 ft.lbs and wedged its' way down onto the wheel bore???

Glad you didn't suffer dire consequences, better tell Popeye running that air hammer to lay off the spinach!

I never let a shop mount my wheels unless something happens on the road and I have no choice, but always confirm torque ASAP in that case.

Also not a fan of those small spline nuts, hence this thread I posted.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-for-better-safer-lug-nuts.43461/

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Jeez. It’s just not that hard to properly install a wheel. It’s not. 🙄

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had an issue once with America's tire. I use them exclusively and one day I found a wheel nut 3 foot from my Ram RV. I checked the torque and found all of them a little over. First time in 40+ years I've ever experienced finding a lug nut POPPED off. I would replace all the over torqued studs to be safe.
One of the reasons I choose AEV wheels is they are engineered for the stock HD Mopar lug nuts.
Sponsored