gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Love the wheels especially after I got a new set of Patagonia MTs wrapped around them. I go to mount them on the Jeep only to realize that my 22mm socket ain't gonna fit in that tiny hole. Yeah its kind of a newbie problem I know but I'm trying to do everything myself and accumulate new tools along the way. I got a box of Mcgard M14x1.5 hex nuts and those should work, right? I didn't see what the big deal was with the spline nuts for a lot more $$$ so I didn't buy those.

Anyway, as an alternative solution I was about to sacrifice my cheapo Kobalt 22mm impact socket and put it on the bench grinder to make my own thin wall socket. But after eyeballing the size of the hole vs socket I'm not so sure if grinding it down is gonna work either. Do I need smaller diameter lug nuts? There is such an animal as an M14x2.0 that would protrude out a bit further. Anyway, what is everyone else using?

. . .
Sponsored

OP
OP
gpurp

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I did a test fit on my newly installed EVO tire carrier. At least I know they'll look good once I get the nut & socket thing sorted out.

20191215_163334.jpg

Flash

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I did a test fit on my newly installed EVO tire carrier. At least I know they'll look good once I get the nut & socket thing sorted out.

20191215_163334.jpg
I have the same set of wheels and Evo carrier but haven’t installed it yet. My biggest concern about the carrier was that most applications leave the camera exposed.

How did you go about making the shroud fit?

OP
OP
gpurp

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
That's right. The camera tube is actually two pieces. The outer shroud is part of the larger carrier assembly itself and doesn't detach. The inner tube and camera is what gets moved to the new carrier but that looked woefully incomplete and half-assed. To make it look stock I used a reciprocating saw with a 9" metal cutting blade and cut off the shroud as close to the base of the carrier as possible. Then used a 4" angle grinder and 60 grit flap disc to smooth it down so the cut wasn't jagged. Finally used a large flat file to get it nice and flat. Afterwards I pressed the shroud back onto the camera tube and bolted everything back up. For now I'll rely on the camera lock to hold the shroud in place even though it has a pretty tight friction fit over the tube. I may add some adhesive later.

Now... about those lug nuts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!