Sponsored

What am I missing?

BumpDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I just built a Rubicon Unlimited 4xe on Jeep.com. Most options (with one-touch roof but without steel bumper group). Total cost is $64,935 (minus the $7,500 tax credit).

I just PURCHASED a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited with pretty much the same options and my sticker is $64,435.

So my question: why isn’t there more of a price difference between the two vehicles? I would expect that the 4xe would be more of a price premium over the V6 Rubicon due to the battery technology. Is there something that makes the 4xe much different than the regular Rubicon Unlimited (if you took away the battery and the 4-cyl)? Transmission, axles, capability....anything?
Sponsored

stuzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
I don't understand it either. I guess you can get a better deal on the non 4xe. up to 8% off invoice whereas the 4xe are less but when you factor in the fed rebate which is worth more I wonder. The 4xe is about $2,300 more than the build I am looking at for a jlu Rubicon similarly equipped minus the drivetrain.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It’s a fantastic deal if you want all those options. Not everyone is gonna spend 64k on a Wrangler. But if you are it’s a no-brainer to get the 4xe in my opinion.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I just built a Rubicon Unlimited 4xe on Jeep.com. Most options (with one-touch roof but without steel bumper group). Total cost is $64,935 (minus the $7,500 tax credit).

I just PURCHASED a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited with pretty much the same options and my sticker is $64,435.

So my question: why isn’t there more of a price difference between the two vehicles? I would expect that the 4xe would be more of a price premium over the V6 Rubicon due to the battery technology. Is there something that makes the 4xe much different than the regular Rubicon Unlimited (if you took away the battery and the 4-cyl)? Transmission, axles, capability....anything?
Nope you’re not missing anything. Same capability, much more power and torque, and ability to drive gas free on short trips. The only negative I see is the loss of storage space under the rear seat.

My fully loaded Rubicon 4xe with leather and sky top is coming in under 50k after tax credit and discounts but before sales tax. It’s too good of a deal to pass up, the other vehicle I was looking at was the Rivian which is 80k (with options) and a few years out probably.

Some states even give you a state tax credit which makes the deal even sweeter!

OP
OP
BumpDaddy

BumpDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for the replies! So basically, besides the lack of storage under the rear seat and that it’s (I think) 800 lbs heavier, there’s no other disadvantages to the regular Rubicon? The weight will play somewhat of a factor for me since I do flat tow my Wranger behind an RV.

I know the 4xe has more torque and HP, but is it enough to make up for all that extra weight?

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the replies! So basically, besides the lack of storage under the rear seat and that it’s (I think) 800 lbs heavier, there’s no other disadvantages to the regular Rubicon? The weight will play somewhat of a factor for me since I do flat tow my Wranger behind an RV.

I know the 4xe has more torque and HP, but is it enough to make up for all that extra weight?
0-60 in 6 seconds.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Because Jeep needs to sell a certain amount of high MPG cars to meet requirements (offset the V8, which as you've noticed cost a fortune!)

Not that any Wrangler is a bargain, but when it comes to Wranglers the 4xe is about as good a bargain as you can get as long as you are eligible for that $7500 credit (which most, though not all, people buying a $40k+ car do)

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65

FCA currently spends hundreds of millions of dollars on CAFE credits. Each truck or SUV sold has to have that money build into the price. Conversely each vehicle that does better than the CAFE average saves FCA money. The 4XE needs to sell in numbers so that FCA can afford to put V8s in everything.

Personally, I like FCAs strategy. The Hellcats aren't my cup of tea, although I'd love a 392 Wrangler if it had 6 speeds, but I do love seeing FCA cram pissed off V8s them into damn n ear everything and then provide a warranty.

OP
OP
BumpDaddy

BumpDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Probably been covered before, but can you recharge the battery using flat towing? That would be nice-
Unfortunately, I read somewhere that because the transfer case was disconnected, the batteries won’t charge. But yes, I agree, that would have been cool.
Sponsored