Sponsored

Remove Hood Decals? Am I crazy?

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
My Rubicon 4XE has completed build and will be shipped "soon". Getting pretty excited about delivery; but now I've run into a huge issue. My wife *hates* the hood decal to the point that she now wants to cancel the order. I'm pretty sure the decal can be removed, but I'm a little worried about doing it. Anyone have experience removing the decal on other jeeps themselves or having their dealer do it?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
My Rubicon 4XE has completed build and will be shipped "soon". Getting pretty excited about delivery; but now I've run into a huge issue. My wife *hates* the hood decal to the point that she now wants to cancel the order. I'm pretty sure the decal can be removed, but I'm a little worried about doing it. Anyone have experience removing the decal on other jeeps themselves or having their dealer do it?
The decal is just that, a sticker. You can peel it off, no problem.

I will say, however, that the decal serves a great purpose and that is to cut down on hood glare.

You will hate the glare more than the decal.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
...the decal serves a great purpose and that is to cut down on hood glare.
You will hate the glare more than the decal.
i agree. i added a decal to my hood bulge and it cut down on the glare a ton. my wife wasn't crazy about it at first, but noticed the difference so it got her thumbs up.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
My first car (well, "truck" it was a diesel VW Rabbit pickup) belonged to a guy named "Steve." It said so on the DOOR. It also had the Tasmanian Devil on it, from Looney Tunes. My Dad got it for $800.

I told my Dad, "thanks for the gift, Dad. But I'm going to keep taking the schoolbus with the freshmen." LOL. I asked him to get his money back, but he was able to remove Taz and Steve with some oven cleaner. He was, however, unable to completely get rid of the smell of the squirrel that had died in the vents while it sat on Steve's property.

But I enjoyed my private transport until I drove it into a tree 4 months later.

She'll get over the decal. It could always be worse ;)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@greensprit

In all seriousness...

IF you think the decal(s) will be an issue with you and your Wife, the best thing to do is remove them as soon you get the JL.

IF you do not feel comfortable removing them yourself, have a detail or decal shop, etc. that does decals remove them for you... Reality is they come off very easily.

You want to get them off when they come off the easiest (when new) and before your JL's paint job fades... and it will...

When you remove decals on a faded vehicle, you get "ghosting"..... another words you pull the decals off of a faded vehicle and you will end up still seeing the words/letters/decal area on the vehicle.

So, get them off.... IF you ever want the stock decals back.... you Love Birds 👩‍❤️‍👨 change your mind, you can always buy the decals from Mopar and have them reapplied to your vehicle.... Doing this is reapplication process is doable and far better then the ghosting thing.

Sponsored

Bohunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I’m kind of in the same boat. I ordered the Rubicon 4xe in white, but do not like the blue accents on the hood decals, would prefer to have the whole vehicle to be primarily white and black. Thinking of removing them myself when I get the vehicle.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
@greensprit

In all seriousness...

IF you think the decal(s) will be an issue with you and your Wife, the best thing to do is remove them as soon you get the JL.

IF you do not feel comfortable removing them yourself, have a detail or decal shop, etc. that does decals remove them for you... Reality is they come off very easily.

You want to get them off when they come off the easiest (when new) and before your JL's paint job fades... and it will...

When you remove decals on a faded vehicle, you get "ghosting"..... another words you pull the decals off of a faded vehicle and you will end up still seeing the words/letters/decal area on the vehicle.

So, get them off.... IF you ever want the stock decals back.... you Love Birds 👩‍❤️‍👨 change your mind, you can always buy the decals from Mopar and have them reapplied to your vehicle.... Doing this is reapplication process is doable and far better then the ghosting thing.
I disagree. Since he will soon have the 4xe which may be the first guy in this group to take delivery, his first responsibility will be to post a user review on this forum. Worry about the decal later. 😁

DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
Years ago, I thought the Apex written across my hood looked bad and I got tired of explaining what it was there for (it was an Apex edition). I just peeled it off like you would any other label. I did keep the rest of the stripes though.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I have a Sarge Green Rubicon and I don’t really care for the red trim on my decal and stickers either. I am going to remove the Rubicon decals and put solid black ones on as well as replacing the Jeep decals on the side. It’s not a big deal. Also I am sure that your dealer will do it for you prior to delivery if you pay them. That’s one option or go to a shop that does vehicle lettering.

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
I needed this thread, have a great day everyone lol
Sponsored