hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like more what I expect. How do you have your Fox ATS set? I talked to a few people with the ATS or the falcon adjustable and everyone leaves it on medium. So I just ordered the fox TS without the adjuster.
Currently medium. May try turning up a few clicks since my local streets are rough to see if makes any difference.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Currently medium. May try turning up a few clicks since my local streets are rough to see if makes any difference.
Friend with a falcon said when he turns his up, the steering wheel doesn’t return to center so he leaves on medium. Just FYI. Curious if the ATS is the same.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Friend with a falcon said when he turns his up, the steering wheel doesn’t return to center so he leaves on medium. Just FYI. Curious if the ATS is the same.
Thanks. Going to play with it. Definitely didn’t plan to go full firm setting, just a few clicks above half way.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I came off a Honda Accord. It did take some adjustment in terms of the amount of input that is needed. It probably took about 500 miles before my bodies muscle memory become “effortless”. I too was swaying a little at highway speeds trying to hold a “straight” line on an imperfect surface and yes the vehicle does require more input and effort to get used to.
my production was 02/20 and supposedly mine and your jeep are supposed to have an steering issues resolved.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
i put the falcon adjustable one on and leave it at medium.
The soft was ok and the firm was too stiff , and same as others the return to center was slow and had to be helped along . Either med or soft are the way to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I run mine on medium, on the trial I will run it on hard.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
On stock front suspension, caster is not adjustable. You’ll need longer lower control arms or adjustable ones.

Upgrading the steering damper is a band aid.

The cheapest fix is a set of mopar lift lower control arms. Most stock rubicons actually need these from the factory.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
there is a adjustable shim kit you can get for the JL that allow the caster to be adjusted. If I recall it’s made by
chamberlain(sp) and is about $50.00

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Just got my 2020 2 dr Rubicon back from its second trip to the dealer for steering issues.
1st trip they did nothing and said nothing is wrong, they all drive this way.
Contacted Jeep Wave customer service and complained.
they seceduled a 2nd service appt.
This time at least they verified the alignment is set to "Factory Specs".
Still drives like a drunken sailor( I may have personal previous experience as such).
Contacted Jeep Wave again and they said there is nothing else they will do as the Jeep is to factory spec as designed.
I asked about FCA changing the steering box and was told there is no need as it drives as designed.

Not a happy camper.

This is my 4th 2 dr Jeep since my CJ7 I bought in 1980.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my 2020 2 dr Rubicon back from its second trip to the dealer for steering issues.
1st trip they did nothing and said nothing is wrong, they all drive this way.
Contacted Jeep Wave customer service and complained.
they seceduled a 2nd service appt.
This time at least they verified the alignment is set to "Factory Specs".
Still drives like a drunken sailor( I may have personal previous experience as such).
Contacted Jeep Wave again and they said there is nothing else they will do as the Jeep is to factory spec as designed.
I asked about FCA changing the steering box and was told there is no need as it drives as designed.

Not a happy camper.

This is my 4th 2 dr Jeep since my CJ7 I bought in 1980.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
document everything in detail and contact a lemon law attorney. You can demand a buy back.
Read some of the other threads on the forum that have literary hundreds of pages of info you can read throug.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
FCA really needs to get on the ball, and correct this problem. Most Jeeps these days are pavement pounders, and with the Bronco coming out with IFS Jeep could lose even more sales. I love my JL, but if the steering get worse with no recourse from the dealer I may have to consider that other brand.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
DEMAND that your dealer to follow the new tech bulletin issued 2 weeks ago.

Jeep Wrangler JL What actually _is_ normal steering? 860CC983-CA37-4315-9374-C053C4B59F6F

Jeep Wrangler JL What actually _is_ normal steering? B0E5ED04-945A-49DF-B5D3-479AB9D66512

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was in the same camp as the OP. New Sahara and never owned a Jeep. Just came out of a Ford F150 4x4. Same experience with mine, and every other one I test drove that day.

i had the opportunity not long ago to compare my experience with my brother who sold his a few years back. His reply? Get used to it. The steering is just not as tight as the rack & pinion stuff on the road today. I dont think the OP is talking about shimmies and obviously malfunctioning steering, but the normal loose, dead spot steering, like what those of us old enough to remember what car steering felt like in the 70s, just a certain amount of play in the wheel.

Im not trying to be flip when i mention to just get used to it. Nor am I knocking Jeep. I just came off a 5000mi roadtrip in my JLU Sahara and Im now madly in love with it. You will not make it drive like a foreign sportscar, nor will it steer like a current model Honda. It makes my F150 feel like it steers like a roadster in comparison. But, I think, its designed with a certain amount of play in the wheel for when youre off roading and going slow over rocky rough terrain and so the wheel doesnt tear itself out of your hands.

So, get used to it. Overtime you’ll subconsciously coarse correct, keeping active on the wheel as you guide your Jeep down the center of the lane. It will eventually become less white knuckle, and more subconscious guidance. I don't regret mine and Im never going back.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was in the same camp as the OP. New Sahara and never owned a Jeep. Just came out of a Ford F150 4x4. Same experience with mine, and every other one I test drove that day.

i had the opportunity not long ago to compare my experience with my brother who sold his a few years back. His reply? Get used to it. The steering is just not as tight as the rack & pinion stuff on the road today. I dont think the OP is talking about shimmies and obviously malfunctioning steering, but the normal loose, dead spot steering, like what those of us old enough to remember what car steering felt like in the 70s, just a certain amount of play in the wheel.

Im not trying to be flip when i mention to just get used to it. Nor am I knocking Jeep. I just came off a 5000mi roadtrip in my JLU Sahara and Im now madly in love with it. You will not make it drive like a foreign sportscar, nor will it steer like a current model Honda. It makes my F150 feel like it steers like a roadster in comparison. But, I think, its designed with a certain amount of play in the wheel for when youre off roading and going slow over rocky rough terrain and so the wheel doesnt tear itself out of your hands.

So, get used to it. Overtime you’ll subconsciously coarse correct, keeping active on the wheel as you guide your Jeep down the center of the lane. It will eventually become less white knuckle, and more subconscious guidance. I don't regret mine and Im never going back.

i don’t believe you are/were in the same camp at the OP
There is a distinct difference between a little play in the wheel and what he has experienced . A little play (3/4” or so) is normal on a Jeep. The OP has to consider this is not a luxury car...it’s built to climb rocks, pull thru sand etc. but I don’t believe that is the complaint. A little loose wheel play is totally different than pulling, wandering and fighting to stay in the white lines.
Not to rehash the same old story that already has thousands of posts on another thread but there are definitely a number of Jeeps 2018 and up with just crappy parts or building quality. Yes, there are band aids that disguise and can assist in some of these issues but there has yet to be a magic cure all.
FCA has bought back tons of these and refunded a lot of money to owners that could not correct the problem.
I was one of those that had a 2018 Sahara bought back. Even the dealer agreed it was unsafe and he wouldn’t let his family drive one like it ! This is a dealer that has driven hundreds of Wranglers., but yet it took legal action to force the buy back since FCA dictates the rules to the dealer. The problem started with the conversion to the electronic steering and the foreign parts used. Pre 2018 JK don’t have the issue. My JK is great and my 2020 JLUR is about 90% as good but it’s taken some time to get there. It was 70% better right off the lot than my previous JL.

No disrespect to anyone...but until you actually drive a Jeep with the wandering steering you have no clue what effort is involved and it’s neither typical or a jeep thing. The OP has a right to bitch and FCA needs to make it right. The standard answer that it drives as designed is not gonna cut it.
Sponsored