NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have had not a single issue with the JL in any way.I have cloth seats, ass gets wet. But that's what you get. I've been pleasantly surprised at how little you get wet compared to my old jeeps. Even on the highway in a downpour (just watch for semi trucks, they'll get you while you're passing them haha.
When the seats get wet, how quickly do they dry out and do you have to put a fan in the vehicle to make it happen. I would think that the foam would hold moisture and you would end up with a moldy smell pretty soon.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
When the seats get wet, how quickly do they dry out and do you have to put a fan in the vehicle to make it happen. I would think that the foam would hold moisture and you would end up with a moldy smell pretty soon.
Takes a bit, especially if you can't put the top down and let the sun bake them for awhile. The entire jeep got soaked a few weeks ago and it took a few days for my cloth seats to dry out.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Went 7 months topless in my 2014 JK in the Midwest. Been caught in countless storms. Some where insane and I talking literally completely filling up the cup holder with water. Went to a KC Royals game and left my Jeep at my buddies place. After the game they had gotten hammered by rain and my Jeep was like a dang pool. No top or doors. Was a cold ride home lol. Every thing started, GPS worked everything was rock solid. Never had an issue. Hopefully the JL holds up like the JK did because any Jeep owner knows these come out of nowhere. I was hard top only then but this time doing dual top for soft summer.

Just curious, does the owner manual mention anything about water or topless\doorless best practices? :)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Went 7 months topless in my 2014 JK in the Midwest. Been caught in countless storms. Some where insane and I talking literally completely filling up the cup holder with water. Went to a KC Royals game and left my Jeep at my buddies place. After the game they had gotten hammered by rain and my Jeep was like a dang pool. No top or doors. Was a cold ride home lol. Every thing started, GPS worked everything was rock solid. Never had an issue. Hopefully the JL holds up like the JK did because any Jeep owner knows these come out of nowhere. I was hard top only then but this time doing dual top for soft summer.

Just curious, does the owner manual mention anything about water or topless\doorless best practices? :)
Well, I've only on page 58 right now (out of 616) and one thing that I do remember reading is that they the doors are only meant to be removed for offroad use since it compromises your safety in the event of an accident.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I've only on page 58 right now (out of 616) and one thing that I do remember reading is that they the doors are only meant to be removed for offroad use since it compromises your safety in the event of an accident.
That is interesting. My first thoughts were that has to be some sort of legal disclaimer but having seen the butt puckering off road runs people make and I would think if safety was in their thought process it would be the opposite!

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I've got a few offloading trips and lots of road miles on my JLUR so far (9300 mi). Carpet is removed, comes right out without any tools. Real east to put back in if you'd ever want. I wont.

There are drain plugs in the rear. There are actually drainplugs everywhere...front, under seats, rear floor, storage tub in the back and one in the jack storage.

I've got a soft top. Preferred driving status of my jeep is top on doors and windows off, carpet and plugs out. Jeep has been left out in the rain in NE Ohio for the last month (plenty of rain. Days, all night, etc).

Without any top on It's been poured on a lot, including over night. No radio issues. I dont have the 8.4 inch though. So maybe the standard 7 is the way to go? Time will tell I suppose

I have had not a single issue with the JL in any way.I have cloth seats, ass gets wet. But that's what you get. I've been pleasantly surprised at how little you get wet compared to my old jeeps. Even on the highway in a downpour (just watch for semi trucks, they'll get you while you're passing them haha.
Sounds like all you need are seat covers and a dry towel in the glove compartment. :)

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m back to serious consideration of getting cloth seats and having them wrapped in marine leather. Basically vinyl to water proof them. Keep lots of towels handy. That plus a bikini top is how I rolled summers in Jersey. Worked great.

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tjwallerphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
"Stormie," A Base 2018 Granite Crystal JL Sport 2-door
Occupation
Professional Action Photographer
Sounds like all you need are seat covers and a dry towel in the glove compartment. :)
That's actually true! Lol!
I got caught in a downpour that lasted 30-40 minutes or so about a week ago. Hard, hard rain. My doors were off and top was folded down. By the time I could get to a parking lot to at least put the top back up, I had already been in the rain for 15-20 minutes so I was soaked and the Jeep was a pool. The parking lot was a Home Depot lot so I went in to wait till it quit raining.
When I got back in my Jeep, everything started up perfectly and did just fine (my build is in my signature). When I got home I just pulled the floor plugs, sucked out the remaining water with my wet vac, lifted the carpet and vacuumed under it (but left it in) then took off the towels that I velcro onto my seats for seat covers (I had previously sprayed them with a couple of coats of the heavy-duty Scotchgard) and shook them out then wiped everything else down with a dry towel. The seats were dry due to my homemade seat covers (less than 10 bucks from Target and work wonderfully!).
After all that, I did let my fan blow in her over night and then let her sunbathe for several hours the next day. She's still doing fine and has no mildewy or other unwanted smells. In fact, she still has that new car smell.
I think the JLs are made to take the rain and water that is splashed in better than earlier models, but it will definitely be best to try to remove as much of the water as soon as possible with a wet vac or something.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Any updates here for being caught in the rain or long term issues found from water soaked interiors?

I’m getting real antsy with these 40% afternoon showers and thinking of diving into topless/doorless afternoon showers..

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I got completely down poured on, soft top off and doors off. Seriously like a Monsoon. My interior was completely soaked, every square inch including every bit of electronics. This happened to me a year ago and 6 months ago...

All I did was towel dry areas I could see and I pulled out the carpet and let it dry in the sun, on my driveway. Put the carpets back in the next day and I still have the new car smell. No issues whatsoever. I just hit 11k miles on my very early 2018 build. I say dont sweat it, get wet and have fun.

Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
@Chemy350 hah! Good deal. Driving with rainy conditions hasn’t worried me. It’s the thought of my Jeep sitting in the work parking lot with potentially a couple hours of rain on it... just need to pull my britches up and do it once so I can get over the fear

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Got caught in the rain today with no top or doors. This is my first Jeep. I have dried up what i can get to with a towel, pulled the floor mats, and have a fan on. If the sun comes out I'll park the Jeep in it. Anything else I need to do?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Got caught in the rain today with no top or doors. This is my first Jeep. I have dried up what i can get to with a towel, pulled the floor mats, and have a fan on. If the sun comes out I'll park the Jeep in it. Anything else I need to do?
You're fine :)
Sponsored