Sponsored

Is the Mopar Sun Bonnet waterproof?

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Water proof Bikini top? Are you asking if that is mesh? No bikini top is will keep all the rain out of the inside of the Jeep.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
With all the electronics in the new Jeep, I would would be extremely careful with regards to water ingress. Like you are better off with a proper top if the weather has a chance for rain.
While you can sort'a kinda hose on the inside, that will not apply to the dash or any other electrical components.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The OEM soft too with the windows removed sounds like what you are looking for. The sun bonnet won’t keep the water out.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
With all the electronics in the new Jeep, I would would be extremely careful with regards to water ingress. Like you are better off with a proper top if the weather has a chance for rain.
While you can sort'a kinda hose on the inside, that will not apply to the dash or any other electrical components.
Jeep claims the whole interior has been tested in a rain chamber for 24 hours

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Jeep claims the whole interior has been tested in a rain chamber for 24 hours
They also claimed the death wobble was totally fixed. FIAT makes a lot of claims. If you want to trust it, that's up to you.
My phone maker also claims my phone is water proof. I am not going to toss it in the ocean just to see if it really still works. Water + electronics don't miss.
Electrical issues are the hardest to narrow down.

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
Don't have it but looking at the pictures and installation instructions it might let water in in between the doors and rollbar. I know on my TJ you had to have door surrounds to keep it from letting the water run there.

First time I put a bikini on the TJ and didn't have them it rained (more like poured) on us while eating at a restaurant . Needless to say we were both soaked when we got home. I still laugh about it to this day.

As far as electrical issues. Why worry about that while it's under warranty. Damn people need to live a little and worry about crap less.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
I used to drive my CJ7 with no top and no doors in the rain.. I got a lot of interesting looks from people. Not much in the way of electronics in that thing. Man I wish I still had it or for that matter all 12 of my previous jeeps, OK maybe except for the TJ, I don't need that one

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I don’t know about Bikini tops, I really like driving with my windows down, side and rear soft top off, and just the soft top roof on. Keeps the sun off, very open feeling. I’ll have to pull the doors one of these days, but that seems like a pain in the butt. And since it rains almost every day here in Fl (at least during the summer), I’m not seeing me keeping the doors off on any regular basis.
C0EFB58A-F130-4CF5-B431-0CD3AE17D20F.jpeg

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I don’t know about Bikini tops, I really like driving with my windows down, side and rear soft top off, and just the soft top roof on. Keeps the sun off, very open feeling. I’ll have to pull the doors one of these days, but that seems like a pain in the butt. And since it rains almost every day here in Fl (at least during the summer), I’m not seeing me keeping the doors off on any regular basis.
C0EFB58A-F130-4CF5-B431-0CD3AE17D20F.jpeg
I keep reading how easy these new windows are. The TJ windows could be a PITA sometimes. So I can't wait for nice weather to try them out!

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I keep reading how easy these new windows are. The TJ windows could be a PITA sometimes. So I can't wait for nice weather to try them out!
You mean as opposed to zippers? We rented a JK over thanksgiving before we bought our JL. I took the top down and was worried I’d never get it back together. The JL windows are a dream compared to that.

The back window is a bit of a pain if you’re just opening the back up to load something back there. But I’ll live with it. The biggest problem is what you do with the windows when you take them off. Right now, wrapping them up in moving blankets and putting them in the rear with something on top so they dont blow out. I know you can buy bags for the sides, but the rear is too big for that.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
No. I ordered the sun bonnet and returned it.

Way too flappy and noisy. Didn’t go over the doors.

F7015639-E3E2-4DCE-9784-864D5005AB51.jpeg

BA03CA8A-4373-4142-8619-C5AD3C7AD5C8.jpeg

7B5B4B07-7B67-43FC-986B-7EED1C794282.jpeg

OP
OP
gotime4

gotime4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ocean Blue, 2019 Ram 1500 etorque Laramie
No. I ordered the sun bonnet and returned it.

Way too flappy and noisy. Didn’t go over the doors.

F7015639-E3E2-4DCE-9784-864D5005AB51.jpeg

BA03CA8A-4373-4142-8619-C5AD3C7AD5C8.jpeg

7B5B4B07-7B67-43FC-986B-7EED1C794282.jpeg

Thanks is a sick jeep.

I am not sure there would be a possible way for a sun bonnet to go over the doors. Correct me if I am wrong though. I just want to take off my top and still be okay if it rains and have a little shade. I don't think that is too much to ask Mopar. But no one wants to provide this.

With it not covering the doors would a ton of water come in?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The back window is a bit of a pain if you’re just opening the back up to load something back there. But I’ll live with it. The biggest problem is what you do with the windows when you take them off. Right now, wrapping them up in moving blankets and putting them in the rear with something on top so they dont blow out. I know you can buy bags for the sides, but the rear is too big for that.
The storage bag holds all of the windows

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
got rained (downpour, severe) on in my JLUR several times this summer with the doors and top off... completely soaked interior and electronics. Not a single problem. All I did was wipe down the dash and electronics and took out the carpets to try. Still smells new and had no issues since.. I will do it again this summer:)

That's what a warranty is for, so I don't worry about it.
Sponsored