Is the Mopar Sun Bonnet waterproof?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
That's what a warranty is for, so I don't worry about it.
There is zero chance that Jeep would cover repairs under warranty when evidence of the top being off during a rain storm is evident. Assuming the fault is related to water.
No where does Jeep state that the vehicle is 100% proof. At various places in the manual it mentions to take care about this or that as water could come in and cause damage.

Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but this topic has come up since the first TJ forum I joined. It was not covered then either and there were threads which outlined long fights with dealers and Jeep, all of which the customer lost.
Except a few times where the dealer left the top off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gotime4

gotime4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ocean Blue, 2019 Ram 1500 etorque Laramie
There is zero chance that Jeep would cover repairs under warranty when evidence of the top being off during a rain storm is evident. Assuming the fault is related to water.
No where does Jeep state that the vehicle is 100% proof. At various places in the manual it mentions to take care about this or that as water could come in and cause damage.

Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but this topic has come up since the first TJ forum I joined. It was not covered then either and there were threads which outlined long fights with dealers and Jeep, all of which the customer lost.
Not sure this is accurate
read this
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-enhance-the-jeep-jls-off-road-ability.20575/

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Firstly, this is just a guy talking. It is not in any official literature for a Jeep Wrangler. Notice also he said it was "misted". Like when you go to Palm Springs in the summer and they have misters to cool you off.
He never claims it will take a downpour.
Generally speaking, if a car company, ANY car company can get out of paying a claim, they will. It would be hard to claim, in these days of modern and complex electronics that we thought we could just leave the thing out all day in the rain and it would be ok.
Surely you have seen the modules under the dash?
These are not water proof connections. They are just plain old automotive connections.
My company does a crap ton of testing for Fiat Chrysler electronics. I can tell you... no freakin way are they water proof.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer

I wont argue the details, I can assure you, the dealer would cover it. moving on..

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Firstly, this is just a guy talking. It is not in any official literature for a Jeep Wrangler. Notice also he said it was "misted". Like when you go to Palm Springs in the summer and they have misters to cool you off.
He never claims it will take a downpour.
Generally speaking, if a car company, ANY car company can get out of paying a claim, they will. It would be hard to claim, in these days of modern and complex electronics that we thought we could just leave the thing out all day in the rain and it would be ok.
Surely you have seen the modules under the dash?
These are not water proof connections. They are just plain old automotive connections.
My company does a crap ton of testing for Fiat Chrysler electronics. I can tell you... no freakin way are they water proof.
Screenshot_20190228-142937.png

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Yes... the button is mist proof. Not the radio.
As I say, I am not trying to be an ass here, really. I am not trying to say bad things about Wranglers. However, these little nuances in wording is part of my daily job. Telling manufacturers, no, you can't say that because blah blah blah. In addition to testing products we also verify all the user manuals and that sort of stuff for legal gotchas.
Will your local dealer cover it? Maybe.
Could they fight it? Of course. Would you win? Probably not, but again, maybe. Of course, you would have to pay the lawyer and all that stuff, so you would still lose.
I am just saying that it behooves you to proceed with caution with regards to assuming warranties will he honored when user negligence can be pointed to. Fiat in particular has a long history of this type of thing.

Last edited:

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JL Sahara, top off, reminded service adviser it was off, in for a routine oil change...fast forward to 7 hours later, oil change done, but storm moved through, they left Jeep out in rain, soaked it.....radio shorted out, interior smelled like wet hay for days, oh and put on list for contact with Jeep Customer Care as dealership said Jeep stated not a warranty issue, user issue.....Beware All....oh yeah, traded the Sahara in two weeks later for my 2018 JL Rubicon......side note, the wait for new 8.4 radio would've been 4-8 weeks.......just putting it out there to all!

OP
OP
gotime4

gotime4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I can appreciate the advice in the few posts above. I've worked at dealers for 15 years and was an A&P mechanic with Delta (airframe and powerplant) before hand. My knowledge of how dealers work and the mechanicals of the Jeep are well known to me. I've learned that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. That being said, it would be covered and I would make sure of it. I wouldn't accept no for an answer, and that will go a long way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gotime4

gotime4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, top off, reminded service adviser it was off, in for a routine oil change...fast forward to 7 hours later, oil change done, but storm moved through, they left Jeep out in rain, soaked it.....radio shorted out, interior smelled like wet hay for days, oh and put on list for contact with Jeep Customer Care as dealership said Jeep stated not a warranty issue, user issue.....Beware All....oh yeah, traded the Sahara in two weeks later for my 2018 JL Rubicon......side note, the wait for new 8.4 radio would've been 4-8 weeks.......just putting it out there to all!
did you take a hit trading out for a Rubi? I have a sport s and kind of want to do that but I also don't want to take a big hit

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks is a sick jeep.

I am not sure there would be a possible way for a sun bonnet to go over the doors. Correct me if I am wrong though. I just want to take off my top and still be okay if it rains and have a little shade. I don't think that is too much to ask Mopar. But no one wants to provide this.

With it not covering the doors would a ton of water come in?
Thanks ... Yes.

We had a Bikini top for the JK and it covered the doors and was elevated just a bit so water drained off over the doors. Now, 9 times out of 10, we'd have the doors off too.

The way the Mopar Bonnet sits, if it started to rain all the water that hit the top would either go down the sides, or into the rear cargo area. But I can see passengers getting soaked on every turn.

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
In the same boat- don’t really care about rain coming in the doors ;(doors are always off anyway- so that’s a lost cause), I would just like to know for sure whether it would keep the radio/instrument panels and maybe the center console dry in a surprise downpour (driving or parked)before I buy.

Kiko S

First Name
Kiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
You mean as opposed to zippers? We rented a JK over thanksgiving before we bought our JL. I took the top down and was worried I’d never get it back together. The JL windows are a dream compared to that.

The back window is a bit of a pain if you’re just opening the back up to load something back there. But I’ll live with it. The biggest problem is what you do with the windows when you take them off. Right now, wrapping them up in moving blankets and putting them in the rear with something on top so they dont blow out. I know you can buy bags for the sides, but the rear is too big for that.
Bungee cord them to the back of the rear seat. Works well

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
it says it needs a quick detach header, do you know what that is?
this one is intriguing... I'm debating whether to install my soft top or sell it and my only reservation is having something incase it starts to rain. I like the look of just the hard top off without the extra brackets and if something like this is quick and keeps most of the rain out in an emergency I might be able to make up my mind.
Sponsored