Sponsored

What are the thoughts about the MOPAR Sun Bonnet?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I've got a 2019 JLU Sport S with the hard top. I'm considering getting the MOPAR Sun Bonnet, but I've read that some people find it noisy and not a good fit. I'm looking at the vinyl one, not the mesh one.
Sponsored

cwhrpwr

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited & 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel
Occupation
USCG
I am considering the sun bonnet as well - vinyl. I don’t want mesh - as I’m looking for a bit of protection if I’m caught in a mild rain. There is nothing on the market for bikini tops!

Anyone know how well the mopar vinyl protects in rain?!

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think anything vinyl will flap quite a bit at speed. That's the only thought I have on it. Any reason you want a vinyl sunshade rather than a mesh one?
for exactly the reason that cwhrpwr said. i'd like something in case i get caught out and about in some rain. i know it still leaves gaps along the sides between the top and the doors and the back is still uncovered, but it seems like it would provide some protection to the electronics and passengers where a mesh top would simply let water right through.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Bought it and returned it for a 10% loss on the restocking fee. Didn't like the fit, it looked all right stationary, except it would allow a lot of water in. At 40mph my son and I were laughing so much because we couldn't hear each other shouting the top was so loud. If you need for the beach or lake and won't go over 40 ... it may work for you ...

PRg7Saj4S16%Bpy4EgVD4g.jpg

bMLDCuNtRUGX6eq+X9xPFg.jpg

VBkRrd1OR4OWk1EgDApdNg.jpg

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought it and returned it for a 10% loss on the restocking fee. Didn't like the fit, it looked all right stationary, except it would allow a lot of water in. At 40mph my son and I were laughing so much because we couldn't hear each other shouting the top was so loud. If you need for the beach or lake and won't go over 40 ... it may work for you
thank you for the info. where was it letting water in? was it just coming in through the sides and the back? i guess that's why there really aren't any other non-mesh tops like this.

that really sucks because there are no good tops yet and i haven't even heard of anything on the horizon. the besttop trektop looks interesting other than the fact that you can never take it off fully. i wish they could make it like the trektop glide for the JK.

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got caught out in the rain the other day with my 2 door without my doors on, but I had the hard top and freedom panels in place. At pretty much any speed I was still getting wet from spray off the tires and other vehicles as well as what the wind of the storm was blowing in. At about 40 mph I noticed water coming in, sort of swirling through the door opening into my face. At 65 mph that was happening through both doors and I'm getting good and wet. Had the side and rear windows been missing it would have been worse. Your idea isn't completely flawed, it will help keep some rain off your face and inner half of your body for a bit. But since the air can't pass through the vinyl top I don't think you'll ever get one that doesn't flap a lot (and probably eventually tear itself apart). Really a better solution for rain is a hat and some cheap ponchos in the center console. If you're really concerned you could probably use a tarp and bungees as either a temporary cover or a vinyl top if you're driving. It'd be just as effective, low cost, and you could keep it stashed away in the Jeep someplace until you need it.
for now, i've only kept the doors on. this is my first jeep and i have only had it since November, so i've been nervous about going doors off.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Check out thesuntop.com.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
thank you for the info. where was it letting water in? was it just coming in through the sides and the back? i guess that's why there really aren't any other non-mesh tops like this.

that really sucks because there are no good tops yet and i haven't even heard of anything on the horizon. the besttop trektop looks interesting other than the fact that you can never take it off fully. i wish they could make it like the trektop glide for the JK.
Had a Bikini top for the JK. Cost about $99. With the doors on stayed dry.

Really pisses me off no bikini top builders provide yet. Must be a legal reason or something. It was suggested I build my own. I may just have too. If the bonnet went over the doors I'd be good with it because I don't care if the back gets wet.

Stingen73

First Name
Stinge73
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’m thinking about taking the hard top off for the summer and leaving the freedom panels in the back locked up. I just bought a 5layer waterproof car cover for night time. If it rains when I am out, I can put the freedom panels on and cover the front and make it to a covered area. Thoughts?

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m thinking about taking the hard top off for the summer and leaving the freedom panels in the back locked up. I just bought a 5layer waterproof car cover for night time. If it rains when I am out, I can put the freedom panels on and cover the front and make it to a covered area. Thoughts?
Can you put on the freedom panels without the rest of the hard top? That would only allow it to latch in the front without latching in the back. I went the route of the Suntop instead. It's a soft top that allows me to fully open the top though it does not allow you to just open a portion of the top. It is all or nothing. I can separately open the back either just removing the back window or the back and side windows and leave the top on. Seems like a good compromise.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the hard top removed the freedom panels still attach to the windshield and the sound bar. There is only 1 of the 4 latches per panel that connects to the hard top and that is the back outside corner. You can run with the entire top in place, one panel removed, both panels removed, the back removed with the panels in place, the back removed with 1 panel in place or everything off. The only thing I haven't tried yet is the windshield down with the panels in place. I want to say I saw a warning in the manual about don't lower the windshield with the freedom panels in place but I'll have to go look again to see if the panels actually attach to the windshield or if they're connecting to that section of the roll cage that remains in place.
Ok, cool. I never really considered doing it. I guess if it works, why not?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Bought it and returned it for a 10% loss on the restocking fee. Didn't like the fit, it looked all right stationary, except it would allow a lot of water in. At 40mph my son and I were laughing so much because we couldn't hear each other shouting the top was so loud. If you need for the beach or lake and won't go over 40 ... it may work for you ...

PRg7Saj4S16%Bpy4EgVD4g.jpg

bMLDCuNtRUGX6eq+X9xPFg.jpg

VBkRrd1OR4OWk1EgDApdNg.jpg
Did water come through the zipper and run down the inside of the windshield?

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did water come through the zipper and run down the inside of the windshield?
I didn't test in Rain. I did see another post where it dripped all over the dash from where the zipper is. You could probably sew a velcro flap there and make it better, but the bonnet doesn't extend over the doors either so there is a big gap where I'm sure rain would pour into the door if you had the doors on.
Sponsored